Lucid Air GT fishtailing in light snow

vickytrang

Cars
Lucid Air GT
New owner of Lucid Air GT, we have a light snow here on the east coast. The car was fishtailing with a light coat of snow on the ground, and highway speed became a little scary above 45mph. anyone experiencing this phenomenon?

The factory tires are Michelin Pilot Sport EV.

What settings of re-gen were you on? It is recommended to be on low regen

New owner of Lucid Air GT, we have a light snow here on the east coast. The car was fishtailing with a light coat of snow on the ground, and highway speed became a little scary above 45mph. anyone experiencing this phenomenon?

Aren't those the 20" summer tires? Not ideal to drive in snow?

Summer tires in snow are a bad idea. I experienced what you did with a Model S a few years ago - the car was undrivable on summer tires and very scary. I have a set of winter tires on my Lucid now and it grips great.

You'll need to change to all-season or snow tires ASAP. You can destroy those tires, and your car, by driving on them below 40 degrees F.
Many people buy a set of 19" wheels from Lucid for this purpose.

The 19 inch all seasons perform very well in snow. This is the second winter I’ve used them on my AGT and very impressed with how the car handles. Haven’t needed dedicated snow tires.

It's very dangerous to run summer performance tires in the snow. Move to all seasons or if it's a fluke snow due to the deep freeze, don't drive when there's snow. I remember my E36 M3 being unable to go up a slight incline into a parking lot when there was a dusting of snow early in the season.

All seasons do spectacular even on ice.

You can feel the traction control working overtime when people decide to yo-yo. I would expect that of any car. The handling made it a non-issue and felt in control. Other cars I've owned you just feel like you are at the mercy of the conditions.

Those are summer tires and are going to be terrible in the snow. It's actually pretty dangerous. At least get all seasons, but better yet all weathers with the triple snow icon

A full fledged winter set is the best but depending on location might be overkill e.g. nyc

Glad the OP didn’t have any serious issues.
If Lucid sold her the car, the delivery team should have informed her about the incompatibility of the tires and winter driving.
If she bought it used from a private party then all bets are off since the last owner may not have known.

if you live in snow country having snow tires mounted is important, especially on RWD cars

Back