Status
Not open for further replies.

HC_79

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
Does anyone think Lucid is overpriced now that Tesla has dropped the price of its vehicles?

Solution
I really doubt that Tesla cares about the competition, other than the Chinese.
Elon is threatened by Lucid. Why else would he shit talk it consistently? He (in the past) supported his competition (see praise for the Mach E), but has no praise for Lucid because he knows Peter Rawlinson knows his stuff and can make a more efficient car than he did with the Model S.
Elon is threatened by Lucid. Why else would he shit talk it consistently? He (in the past) supported his competition (see praise for the Mach E), but has no praise for Lucid because he knows Peter Rawlinson knows his stuff and can make a more efficient car than he did with the Model S.
Threatened? The only crossover is Air vs Model S...Tesla has MY, M3, MX...what do they have to fear from Lucid? This is what first move advantage is all about

The question isn't which one will kill the other; it's how much market share each will grab in segments that are clearly growing

I think the Lucid product/experience is light years better...but then there's price, dependability, charge network, brand awareness, support from updates, etc..

Lucid management better tape their ankles every morning....

Theory Lucid and other EV sales rise as Tesla order book fills up and build massive backlog. If Tesla price reduction build a backlog this might build demand for Lucid. Just another idea to think about also used marker May rise further on both Tesla and Lucid.

Threatened? The only crossover is Air vs Model S...Tesla has MY, M3, MX...what do they have to fear from Lucid? This is what first move advantage is all about

The question isn't which one will kill the other; it's how much market share each will grab in segments that are clearly growing

I think the Lucid product/experience is light years better...but then there's price, dependability, charge network, brand awareness, support from updates, etc..

Yes, threatened. I agree about the market share aspect, which is is why Elon is threatened. Up until ~14 months ago, Model S lead the way in range and efficiency, both of which were surpassed by the Air. Why do you think he announced the Plaid plus? To one up the Dream Edition. He then realized it wasn't feasible with Tesla's current tech and was too cost prohibitive, so he dropped it. Look at his recent tweet predicting the demise of Lucid. He should look in the mirror - how many people said that about Tesla?

Look, I give credit where credit's due. Without Elon and Tesla, the EV revolution may not have happened. However, he's become petty because his former chief engineer (who he denied was actually chief engineer despite it being published in multiple places at the time) is one upping him with luxury, range, efficiency and speed (Sapphire destroying the Plaid in the recent Throttle House video must have had him screaming). Many Lucid owners are former Tesla owners - taking some of Tesla's market share.

Peter has said that Lucid is competing with the Mercedes and BMWs of the world, but of course he wants to one up Tesla too. But Lucid if focusing on the luxury segment. Their mass market car will still be expensive, so they'll likely never sell as many cars as Tesla. But if they can license their tech to an OEM for a cheap mass market car, then look out.

I personally think that Tesla lowering their prices will hurt lucid and all other EV and ICE car prices. I don't see how it can't. When you drop the price of things enough, even if it wasn't really a consideration, eventually, at some price it becomes one. For instance, if Tesla lowered the MS Plaid to $75k (I know I'm making this up) I would bet that some buyers of lucid Pure/Touring would look at that car and choose it instead, even if they "prefer" the lucid's fit/finish, efficiency and looks. If they added free supercharging again, even more buyers would begin looking at it simply because it becomes much harder to justify the non-tesla purchase. The used car market, IMHO, is in for an interesting year for 2023 esp the used EV market!

I think Tesla's margins are much much better than the rest of the auto industry (at least when it comes to electric cars) and that they will have the power to squeeze the competition. Established automakers like MB/Porsche/VW/Ford can lower their prices too to compete and even lose money on each vehicle just to keep selling because they have available cash. It's the smaller companies with less available cash that will be in trouble.

Just my opinion, not stating facts...

Threatened long term, not short term, especially since Lucid got the Saudi funding Elon very much wanted (and is about to go to court about screwing up). The ego hit of “he built the Model S, got annoyed by me, and then left to build a better car” is not lost on Elon either, I am more than certain.

My opinion is that lucid should position the gt as a plaid competitor. I dont know if they can afford it, but a "no option" gt should be less than 120k to compete with plaid.

Does anyone think Lucid is overpriced now that Tesla has dropped the price of its vehicles?
I thought Lucid was overpriced before the Tesla price drop but I bought one anyway.

Tesla has the highest margin of any large volume car maker so they are just cutting into their margin. The cost of production for Lucid is probably pretty high. Unless their cost structure goes down, they can't afford to lower prices.

I think Tesla reducing prices is great (and they were absurdly expensive before IMO). It’ll pressure other manufacturers to bring their EV prices down and increase options for those that can’t spend $70k on a car, and perhaps most importantly, help bring the end to dealer price gouging.

If you recall that Tesla increased prices a lot and they lowered it now, is not really a bargain if you actually compare apples to apples even with 7.5k tax credit. I looked at my Fisker Ocean Extreme vs a similarly equipped Model Y Performance with Auto Pilor, FSD and 7.5k tax rebate. On paper Model Y comes to 3k cheaper. Model Y lacks the dash in front of the steering, solar fully open roof, V2H, V2G, V2V bi-drectional CCS port and 303 Miles vs 350 miles AWD.

Likewise, none of the Tesla cars have V2H, V2G, V2V bi-directional CCS port like Lucid. None of them have radar, Lidar and Ultrasonic sensors. So, I guess you get what you pay for. Wait till Gravity comes and beats Model X in every metric and even take some of the Model S buyers.

You want cheap quality decade old designs from a company that squeezes every ounce of profit from the customer by putting out hype, optimistic projections that seem very very optimistic ( I am not saying they lie aka FSD ) and gets rid of basic stuff in their cars under the pretext of you dont need them....when you really do ( aka lumbar support, radars, no lidar, no mirror blind spot indicator) then buy a Tesla.

If you want quality, the latest tech and don't want to be nickel and dimed and treated with respect, buy a Lucid.

Also, Models S handles terribly, thats why I got rid of mine. The Model 3 is pretty good for handling but very noisey, vibrates and cheap quality.

I don't see anything on Lucid's site that can compete with the Model S
Most people here think Air GT is superior...some confirmation bias? Maybe---but I haven't bought yet and have ruled out the Model S vs Lucid.

I won't close on the Lucid until I sense the risk of major failures is minimal--and the minor but nagging bugs are going away.

But I won't buy MS even with price cut (which I think Lucid might need to match)

Most people here think Air GT is superior...some confirmation bias? Maybe---but I haven't bought yet and have ruled out the Model S vs Lucid.

I won't close on the Lucid until I sense the risk of major failures is minimal--and the minor but nagging bugs are going away.

But I won't buy MS even with price cut (which I think Lucid might need to match)
I agree... I was simply surprised to see a MS at the price it was listed. I was also surprised to see the warranty offered by the MS is substantially better than its competitors.

I agree... I was simply surprised to see a MS at the price it was listed. I was also surprised to see the warranty offered by the MS is substantially better than its competitors.
It looks to me like the Lucid and Tesla warranties are pretty similar except for the additional miles on the battery warranty for the Tesla. is that what you are referring to?

I have an order for a Pure and was hoping to sell our 2021 Model S long range and get the Pure without putting extra money in - especially when we thought we could get the EV tax credit. With the MS price decrease and the softening of the car market, I think that isn’t going to happen so will make the decision more difficult.

It looks to me like the Lucid and Tesla warranties are pretty similar except for the additional miles on the battery warranty for the Tesla. is that what you are referring to?
Yes. The 150,000 miles with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period makes a big difference when shopping for a preOwned EV. Does not matter to me as I am going to hit the 8 year limit on my DEP before I reach the 100k, but if I was looking into a 4 year old car with 75k miles on the clock the TESLA 150k warranty, will make the MS a Best Buy especially if one is driving 15-20k a year.

Yes. The 150,000 miles with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period makes a big difference when shopping for a preOwned EV. Does not matter to me as I am going to hit the 8 year limit on my DEP before I reach the 100k, but if I was looking into a 4 year old car with 75k miles on the clock the TESLA 150k warranty, will make the MS a Best Buy especially if one is driving 15-20k a year.

I agree that it is better but I would not call it "substantially better". As you stated, it will not impact on you nor I suspect on most drivers. A warranty like the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis warranty would be "substantially" better as it adds years to the basic warranty and even more to the power train. The extra miles on the Tesla warranty only apply to the battery, not the motor, the suspension, the info system, etc.

I agree that it is better but I would not call it "substantially better". As you stated, it will not impact on you nor I suspect on most drivers. A warranty like the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis warranty would be "substantially" better as it adds years to the basic warranty and even more to the power train. The extra miles on the Tesla warranty only apply to the battery, not the motor, the suspension, the info system, etc.
Depends on how much people drive I think. Teslas power train warranty (ie battery and drive unit) is 8 yrs 150k miles. Hyundai’s power train (which for an EV is battery and drive unit) is 10 yrs 100,000 miles. If you drive the US average 14.25k miles per year you’d get 8 years and 114k miles out of Tesla and 7 years and 100k miles out of Hyundai.

Balance that out with the Limited Warranty of 5yrs/60k miles for Hyundai (you’d get 4.2yrs) versus 4yrs/50k miles for Tesla (you’d get 3.5yrs) and I’d say they even out.

For someone who drives less than average, Hyundai is probably better as they’d never reap the 50k mile extra Tesla power train warranty. For someone who drives more than average miles, getting up to 50k more power train warranty would be a huge plus.

For someone who switches cars every 3 years it becomes pretty irrelevant.

I would like to see Lucid do better on power train warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back