Status
Not open for further replies.

HC_79

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
Does anyone think Lucid is overpriced now that Tesla has dropped the price of its vehicles?

Solution
I really doubt that Tesla cares about the competition, other than the Chinese.
Elon is threatened by Lucid. Why else would he shit talk it consistently? He (in the past) supported his competition (see praise for the Mach E), but has no praise for Lucid because he knows Peter Rawlinson knows his stuff and can make a more efficient car than he did with the Model S.
-$26k price reduction in 7 weeks for MS Plaid. Recent MS purchasers are just shafted in their Tesla fandom.

Has anyone done a detailed side by side comparison of a Model S and a Pure?.

Here's the pricing breakdown for comparable configurations. So anyone without legacy pricing will have to justify waiting for a long long time and paying $10K extra. For legacy price reservation holders patience is they key :)

LucidLucidLucid LegacyTeslaTesla
Pure
$87,400​
$77,400​
Model S $89,990
Dual Motor
$5,500​
$5,000​
Dual Motor
$0​
DreamDrive Pro
$10,000​
$9,000​
Enhanced Autopilot (not FSD)
$6,000​
Surreal Sound Pro
$4,000​
$2,900​
22 speakers/Dolby Atmos
$0​
Destination Fees
$1,650​
$1,650​
Destination Fees
$1,390​
Total
$108,550
$95,950
$97,380

Attachments

• LucidvsTeslapricing.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 113
If you add HP and 0-60 the Tesla MS is even faster then the Touring, but similar. Range is also similar. So I think better compared to the Touring.

I haven’t been side Touring or Pure, but I’m still betting those trim levels still beat MS in cabin refinement and material grade quality. Above comparison chart cannot put metric of ride comfort and road noise insulation onto spreadsheet.

Does anyone think Lucid is overpriced now that Tesla has dropped the price of its vehicles?
Whether Lucid is overpriced IMO is irrelevant to Tesla's price. I just don't see any current Tesla being competitive with the Lucid. Lucid offers performance, luxury and range. Tesla offers two of these but not the third (no luxury).

I actually think Tesla cars are over-priced with multiple incremental price increase in recent years. I think 15,000 for a Beta FSD is also way overpriced. It’s marketing gimmick if price is high.

The reality is Tesla is no longer the only EV game in town, Tesla is only coming down its price as market correction to boost back demand and sadly to them it’s a reality check. Lucid can adjust some as it did for 7,500 incentive, but not like whopping dropping 26,000 for plaid and 15,000 for base MS as Tesla did. In fact, if production doesnot pause at Freemont Gigafactory, MS and MX are just piling up in parking lots without enough online orders. Tesla hasn’t had this problem before, price dropping is yet over at this point. Supply curve must meet demand curve for Tesla’s production level.

However, if Tesla needs to recover their capital to reinvest back to subsequent raw materials cost, cutting margin like this only make Tesla a MOST hated brand by legacy auto makers, retail dealerships got capital stuck in the older overpriced Tesla cars, and mostly it erodes its own customer loyalty by depreciating recent buyers’ asset and secondary market’s value so quick.

I agree with the general better quality comments. My only gripe (as a Pure reservation holder) is why isn't Lucid producing more of the Pures. On Lucid's website they say 'Now Delivering' for AT & AGT and 'Available in 1H2023' for Sapphire. For Pure there is no timing mentioned at all. On the earnings call Peter Rawlinson said they don't have a production problem implying there was a demand problem. So the reality is there are not a lot of AT & AGT reservation holders/new customer who want to buy these vehicles now (the lower stock valuations could be a factor there even if people buying this class of vehicles are not heavily impacted by the economic outlook). But Peter also mentioned they need to put the company & its products in front of more people. And the Pure is the best vehicle to do that for them.

If Tesla believes they can boost Model S sales by dropping prices closer to the Lucid Pure, then I hope Lucid's management is paying attention. The only reason I can think they are not doing this is that they would be losing more money by building the Pures.

If Tesla believes they can boost Model S sales by dropping prices closer to the Lucid Pure, then I hope Lucid's management is paying attention. The only reason I can think they are not doing this is that they would be losing more money by building the Pures.
Agree. They have to reconfigure factory to fully optimizing to reduce cost of Pure. I don’t think Lucid are deliberately holding up Pure, that wouldn’t be do business any good. I believe they are doing all they can to finalize Pure full production ramp up and get ready for Gravity reveal. It’s just seems slow in execution on the consumers end.

Here's the pricing breakdown for comparable configurations. So anyone without legacy pricing will have to justify waiting for a long long time and paying $10K extra. For legacy price reservation holders patience is they key :)

LucidLucidLucid LegacyTeslaTesla
Pure
$87,400​
$77,400​
Model S $89,990
Dual Motor
$5,500​
$5,000​
Dual Motor
$0​
DreamDrive Pro
$10,000​
$9,000​
Enhanced Autopilot (not FSD)
$6,000​
Surreal Sound Pro
$4,000​
$2,900​
22 speakers/Dolby Atmos
$0​
Destination Fees
$1,650​
$1,650​
Destination Fees
$1,390​
Total
$108,550
$95,950
$97,380
Good summary but I think Tesla FSD is $15k even vs DDp $10k. Lucid is clearly not offering the equivalent of Enhanced Auto Pilot. So, to compare equally, add $9k to Tesla and it comes out to be $106,380. Even with the current Lucid pricing, it is a good deal vs Model S given the radar, Ultrasonic Sensors, Lidar, better interior and better miles per kWh.

I'll take a Lucid Air over a Tesla MS any day. Lucid is more luxurious and for adults. Tesla has become the young kids' car. Not to mention that there are way tooooo many Teslas in CA, more than Camrys.

All these price comparisons remind me of the early 2000s, when friends would constantly show me long comparison charts demonstrating how much cheaper their Dell laptops were than my MacBook Pro.

"Yeah, but then you have to live with Windows" was my easy answer every time.

Experience matters. Design matters. Elegance matters. All these things are worth more to some customers. Yes, that group is small, but Lucid is currently not reaching all of them. So they can easily grow their pie without having to play pricing games.

They are years away from needing to sell 100k cars per year. Heck, they don't even need 25k in the short term. Just keep growing the audience while keeping their brand reputation, and they'll do fine.

All these price comparisons remind me of the early 2000s, when friends would constantly show me long comparison charts demonstrating how much cheaper their Dell laptops were than my MacBook Pro.

"Yeah, but then you have to live with Windows" was my easy answer every time.

Experience matters. Design matters. Elegance matters. All these things are worth more to some customers. Yes, that group is small, but Lucid is currently not reaching all of them. So they can easily grow their pie without having to play pricing games.

They are years away from needing to sell 100k cars per year. Heck, they don't even need 25k in the short term. Just keep growing the audience while keeping their brand reputation, and they'll do fine.
Lucid resale values have dropped like a rock while the used car market is historically strong for cars that are in demand. Price a 2022 911 GT3 Touring or a 2020 or newer 911 Turbo S. Try to buy an F150 Lightning. Lucid is behind the curve on production ramp and quality. I took delivery 15 months ago and the UI has not had any significant upgrade. Really going from shitty to slightly less shitty. Resale says a lot and DEs with 1000 miles a month of use have dropped over 30% in a year. I have no build quality complaints. My car has been great. Not interested in any other EV. A Plaid without FSD is 118K. 250K for a Sapphire that will probably drop in value by 80k in year one, the Plaid doesn't look so bad. The 60K in depreciation in a little over a year might make one wish they had pulled the trigger on the appreciating 2022 GT3 Touring over the 2022 DE. Lucid is the best EV, but there are few who believe that, thus the resale market. Selling a 180K DE at 120K to buy a 250K Sapphire that will probably be worth 160K in a year, certainly isn't fiscally sound, and might be called crazy. Buy, hold, drive, enjoy, that might be the best strategy.

I agree with the general better quality comments. My only gripe (as a Pure reservation holder) is why isn't Lucid producing more of the Pures. On Lucid's website they say 'Now Delivering' for AT & AGT and 'Available in 1H2023' for Sapphire. For Pure there is no timing mentioned at all. On the earnings call Peter Rawlinson said they don't have a production problem implying there was a demand problem. So the reality is there are not a lot of AT & AGT reservation holders/new customer who want to buy these vehicles now (the lower stock valuations could be a factor there even if people buying this class of vehicles are not heavily impacted by the economic outlook). But Peter also mentioned they need to put the company & its products in front of more people. And the Pure is the best vehicle to do that for them.

Lucid isn’t producing more Pures because of simple economics. Lucid makes less money on the lower trim models and until they can fully scale and demand increases, they will continue to deliver trims that are better for their bottom line.

I have driven Model S Plaid and Grand Touring,

Plaid has same design as the Model S refresh with a bit more carbon fiber.
- Yoke steering
- Autopilot
- Raizen AMD graphics processor
- Minimalistic interior
- Leather seats
-396 miles range
-Hatchback Trunk
-Rear entertainment system
- additional software features (dog mode, camp mode, sentry security, charge stats, and others)
- 1025 Hp plaid and 625hp long range
- Non automated frunk
- No ambient lighting
- Older headlight design
- No ultra sonics or radar or LiDAR
- Glass roof

Pure without much upgraded :
- Round steering.
- No autopilot
- (Not sure of gfx processor but the UI not as responsive as Tesla gfx)
- Traditional luxury interior Better than Tesla
- Leather seats
- 405 miles range
- No rear entertainment system
- Minimal software features (scheduled charge)
- 425 hp for pure , 625 hp T and 800 hp GT
- clamshell trunk
- nice ambient lighting
- Newer blade headlight design bright
- ultrasonics and LiDAR and 360 view parking
- stock is metal roof for pure but has glass option
- Automated frunk lots of storage

Not favoring one or other just listing what each car has

Tesla build and finish quality along with the yoke/joke is what drove me find another EV (all while being a Tesla shareholder; thanks for the return Elon :cool: ), and ultimately to my decision to order and buy a Lucid AGT.

I have driven Model S Plaid and Grand Touring,

Plaid has same design as the Model S refresh with a bit more carbon fiber.
- Yoke steering
- Autopilot
- Raizen AMD graphics processor
- Minimalistic interior
- Leather seats
-396 miles range
-Hatchback Trunk
-Rear entertainment system
- additional software features (dog mode, camp mode, sentry security, charge stats, and others)
- 1025 Hp plaid and 625hp long range
- Non automated frunk
- No ambient lighting
- Older headlight design
- No ultra sonics or radar or LiDAR
- Glass roof

Pure without much upgraded :
- Round steering.
- No autopilot
- (Not sure of gfx processor but the UI not as responsive as Tesla gfx)
- Traditional luxury interior Better than Tesla
- Leather seats
- 405 miles range
- No rear entertainment system
- Minimal software features (scheduled charge)
- 425 hp for pure , 625 hp T and 800 hp GT
- clamshell trunk
- nice ambient lighting
- Newer blade headlight design bright
- ultrasonics and LiDAR and 360 view parking
- stock is metal roof for pure but has glass option
- Automated frunk lots of storage

Not favoring one or other just listing what each car has
  • If price parity is most important: A Plaid without FSD is $124k, with FSD is $133k. It is probably best to compared to an Air Touring with all the options ($130k) not a Pure as compared above. A round steering wheel is a no-cost option for Tesla Model S right now. Test drive both and decide.
  • If performance is most important, a GT-P pretty much wins the comparison in every category (except FSD and charging speed at V3 Tesla Superchargers). Rear entertainment is pretty useless in my opinion. Grab a phone or iPad.
  • If software is more important than driving dynamics, Tesla wins at this moment. I'm rooting for Lucid to release bunches of cool updates and catch up. I think that will happen, but it may take a couple years. For me, CarPlay will give it a huge advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back