Sprint Mode

Amster

Verified Owner
Cars
ZR Grand Touring
Referral Code
U9GRC6K9
After over a year of owning the car, I finally tried a drive in Sprint mode. Man, is it fun!! It's a whole new reason to enjoy this car! I know you more experienced drivers are probably going "Duh, what were you waiting for?" But I was just kind of hesitant about using it. And I can see where it could lead you to do things you shouldn't. My goal for 2024 is to see the blue bear. I've been too scared to do that one so far.

Even on my Touring there is a pretty significant difference in Sprint. One friend compared acceleration in this mode to a plane taking off.

Is there much benefit to a launch mode in this car? In a gas car you want the turbos spooled up prior to launch etc but in an EV you just slam the accelerator and go and the traction control would work regardless.

That said I’ve not yet tried it myself…

I forget to use Swift and Sprint, because Smooth is so good, but when I do so it always puts a smile on my face. They say having so much horsepower is overkill, but I think it's great.

I forget to use Swift and Sprint, because Smooth is so good, but when I do so it always puts a smile on my face. They say having so much horsepower is overkill, but I think it's great.
With great power comes great responsibility 😁

Having said I didn’t try launch yet. Just swift only. That’s too much for me

Swift has the same horsepower as Smooth, just stiffer suspension and quicker accelerator pedal response. Only Sprint ups the horsepower.

As they say,
There on such a thing as enough ammo.

I strongly urge those who haven’t launched to try it ;) Safely…but try it. Then report back. Two hands on the wheel, no cars nearby (at least for the first timers), and you only need about half of a city block to do it. Oh, and no potholes haha

They say that having a $140k car is overkill, but I think it’s great.

18 months here. Been in Swift for about 3 minutes total. Never been in Sprint.
Put yourself on a well-surfaced open road, place your hands securely on the steering wheel, "confirm" (🥹) your selection of Sprint mode, then hit the accelerator peddle down all the way. Don't worry, you won't be able to keep it there for more than a second or two (at last not the first time).

It is an experience to experience, period.

Swift has the same horsepower as Smooth, just stiffer suspension and quicker accelerator pedal response. Only Sprint ups the horsepower.

Steering also tightens up noticeably in Sprint mode.

Some of the numbers have changed since, but here are the numbers for the 2022 Grand Touring that "Motor Trend" reviewed:

Smooth 536 hp / 620 lb/ft

Swift 536 hp / 645 lb/ft

Sprint 800 hp / 885 lb/ft

At least in the Dream Performance and the Grand Touring (own the first, have had the second for extended loan periods), Sprint makes a LOT of difference in the car's responsiveness. In the Dream Performance it turns a smooth, extremely powerful, and already taut sport sedan into a storming beast ready to romp at the tiniest tickle. The smoothness stays, but everything else puts on a mean grin and lets loose.

The beauty is that you can keep it in Sprint mode for normal driving, where you mostly notice only the slightly heavier steering, and the car keeps the same elegant and docile vibe as in any other mode. But when fate tempts and opportunity allows . . . BOOM! You're shot out of the cannon.

One of the reasons I tend to keep the car in Sprint mode is the cumbersomeness of trying to switch modes while driving, especially with that pointless and dangerous requirement to keep your eyes off the road while waiting for the "Confirm" button to come up and then get pressed.

The buttons for switching modes should always be displayed no matter what other menu you're in. And that "Confirm" button NEEDS TO GO. Its only purpose seems to be a marketing one.

Even on my Touring there is a pretty significant difference in Sprint. One friend compared acceleration in this mode to a plane taking off.

Is there much benefit to a launch mode in this car? In a gas car you want the turbos spooled up prior to launch etc but in an EV you just slam the accelerator and go and the traction control would work regardless.

That said I’ve not yet tried it myself…

I am curious about this. In other EVs like the Tesla/Rivian, there is no launch mode, you just slam and go. But in other EVs that DO have a launch mode, like the Taycan, there is usually some kind of "boost" or extra hp that is activated in launch control.

I don't know what exactly Lucid's Launch Control does, but we know it doesn't add any power. I've tried launching with LC and just slamming it off the line, and i don't feel a major difference, other than maybe a little more wheel slipping without Launch Control.

The beauty is that you can keep it in Sprint mode for normal driving, where you mostly notice only the slightly heavier steering, and the car keeps the same elegant and docile vibe as in any other mode.

I wish we had some more options, I find Swift to be the most playful of the modes. The lighter steering and slightly less stiff suspension makes me feel like i can corner faster than the extra heaviness and slight overdamping of Sprint. Ideally, i would love to have Swift with the ability to use full power.

Back