A scary turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I don’t recommend anyone doing this, I was turning left in my Lucid and hadn’t shown my new friends the sprint mode. I quietly put it in Sprint mode and As I was turning left at traffic light I stepped on the accelerator. At first it was like weeeee zoom zoom then it felt like after I got out of the turn I lost control of the car for a slight second but then some how magically the car adjust its steering wheel very abruptly shaking the whole cabin and everyone was like “ahhh” as it shaked the car. Well now I know to never use Sprint mode while turning again only use for straight line shots. Anyways I am Curious what was the car doing and is it normal? Have you experienced this before? If not can you try and tell me what it is ?

Thanks 🙏!
With all due respect, I use sprint and send my DE into turns regularly. But I don’t floor it, because I’m not looking to kill myself or my friends, because that’s now how taking a turn fast works. You have to feather the throttle. But, and this is important, I do it on properly filled 21s and I don’t care who you are: if the Stig puts his foot down all the way on the accelerator in *any* vehicle on a sharp turn, he’s gonna get f’d.

Do all the braking before the turn. Stay in the outside. Touch the accelerator to keep tension pushing the wheels. Steer as large an arc as possible by cutting to the inside of the corner and exiting in the outside lane, if you’re on a track. Start accelerating as soon as the car starts to straighten from the corner without breaking traction. This may be possible slightly earlier if you have good traction. The car should be just on the edge of losing traction but without sliding.

Also: don’t do this on the on-ramp to a highway. That can’t be said enough. Again: I send my car into empty on ramps all the time, but I do so carefully and never by flooring it, because I don’t want anyone to die.

You should consider, and I really do mean this respectfully and in good faith, taking either a defensive driving course or a track course. You’ll learn a lot.

In fact, I’m also planning on taking a track course sometime in the near future, because I love driving and learning about the art and sport of it; can’t easily do that (or fully appreciate 1111HP) on highways with speed limits and other passenger vehicles who also don’t know how to react to other drivers doing unexpected things. Please be careful.

They should add a few more warnings like do not floor on turns in sprint mode lol
No, they shouldn’t. This is not a thing that anyone should ever do in any mode. You should never floor it into a turn. Period. That’s not unique to any car.

With all due respect, I use sprint and send my DE into turns regularly. But I don’t floor it, because I’m not looking to kill myself or my friends, because that’s now how taking a turn fast works. You have to feather the throttle. But, and this is important, I do it on properly filled 21s and I don’t care who you are: if the Stig puts his foot down all the way on the accelerator in *any* vehicle on a sharp turn, he’s gonna get f’d.

Do all the braking before the turn. Stay in the outside. Touch the accelerator to keep tension pushing the wheels. Steer as large an arc as possible by cutting to the inside of the corner and exiting in the outside lane, if you’re on a track. Start accelerating as soon as the car starts to straighten from the corner without breaking traction. This may be possible slightly earlier if you have good traction. The car should be just on the edge of losing traction but without sliding.

Also: don’t do this on the on-ramp to a highway. That can’t be said enough. Again: I send my car into empty on ramps all the time, but I do so carefully and never by flooring it, because I don’t want anyone to die.

You should consider, and I really do mean this respectfully and in good faith, taking either a defensive driving course or a track course. You’ll learn a lot.

In fact, I’m also planning on taking a track course sometime in the near future, because I love driving and learning about the art and sport of it; can’t easily do that (or fully appreciate 1111HP) on highways with speed limits and other passenger vehicles who also don’t know how to react to other drivers doing unexpected things. Please be careful.

No, they shouldn’t. This is not a thing that anyone should ever do in any mode. You should never floor it into a turn. Period. That’s not unique to any car.
@Bill55 @Charley @SaratogaLefty and any other of our actual “track experts” that aren’t me and just love the sport but don’t have enough track time, please correct me if anything I said above is wrong.

All things I agree with. TLDR, dont floor it in the middle of a turn! Also, I did have to note that you said you “carefully” send your car onto on ramps, but this post suggests otherwise 🤣 just saying!

Post in thread 'Recommendations for 19" Winter Tires: Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 or Vredestein'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/rec...-pilot-alpin-5-or-vredestein.6147/post-145416

This.

Anyone with the time and opportunity really should take their car out to an amateur track day, autocross, or HPDE event. Not only is it some of the most fun you'll ever have with your car, but you'll better understand how your Lucid behaves at the limit. It's the safest place to learn how to keep it under control when you push it a little too far and things go sideways (literally). The Air takes the punishment better than most. I'll be spending as much time as I can on the track with my car this year!

I am curious ramps are straight so why would car lose control ?
I guess you've never driven on a cloverleaf. I wonder throughout this post whether you should have your license at all.

We don’t have clovers in AZ
Even then, most ramps are curved to some extent. For example, here is what I found from a quick G maps search of Arizona. It would be impossible for a ramp to be an actual straight line because that violates highway design rules. They always have a curve, even if it is very slight.
1710165549663.png

I am curious ramps are straight so why would car lose control ?
Also, you do know a car can lose control in a straight line, right? If I were to floor it in sprint and hypothetically turn off ALL ESC and TC, then it would be almost guaranteed that the torque would overcome the wheels and I'd be in a wall (however, even in "no" tc mode, there is some involved to not shred the tires in the Air).

Borski's comments above are pretty much right on. It's called late apexing the turn. Let's say you are coming up to a left turn that is slightly banked to the inside (a good thing) and at the end of a straightaway where you have built up a lot of speed. You move to the right edge of the track, brake hard before turning (unless you are trail braking to slide the back end around using some oversteer; not recommended for beginners) and then you turn down to the apex and just as the car is starting to straighten out again, you can apply maximum acceleration making sure the car has actually straightened out. If you apply max acceleration to early chances are you will leave the track and if you are too late you will most likely spin the car. During my five years on the tracks of California I was driving a 1983 Porsche 911 which was well before the advent of all the various controls built into more modern cars. That 911 was very tail happy and easy to put into a spin if not handled properly. Very easy to induce oversteer which if controlled properly facilitates moving through the twisties more rapidly but if pushed too far you are spinning quickly. A great car to learn how to control the car when it starts to move in a direction you don't want to go.

I pretty much keep my car in sprint mode and when I had my plaid I kept it in plaid mode. I regularly send it into corners and lightly accelerate through the curves. Not once have I had a close call in either. You already got a lot of good information above but at the end of the day, you are fighting physics. If you take a turn going too quickly then it’s only a matter of time before the friction holding your 5000 pounds vehicles tires to the road will slip. Hell there’s a warning every time you put the car into sprint mode. I always thought “why the hell do I need to get through this warning every single time I put the car into sprint mode?” (which again is almost every time I drive the car) Well I found my answer. It’s for drivers like you lol glad you are safe but please be careful with a 5000 pound vehicle that can ruin lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back