A scary turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueice89

Cars
Lucid 22”AGT quantum
So I don’t recommend anyone doing this, I was turning left in my Lucid and hadn’t shown my new friends the sprint mode. I quietly put it in Sprint mode and As I was turning left at traffic light I stepped on the accelerator. At first it was like weeeee zoom zoom then it felt like after I got out of the turn I lost control of the car for a slight second but then some how magically the car adjust its steering wheel very abruptly shaking the whole cabin and everyone was like “ahhh” as it shaked the car. Well now I know to never use Sprint mode while turning again only use for straight line shots. Anyways I am Curious what was the car doing and is it normal? Have you experienced this before? If not can you try and tell me what it is ?

Thanks 🙏!

So I don’t recommend anyone doing this, I was turning left in my Lucid and hadn’t shown my new friends the sprint mode. I quietly put it in Sprint mode and As I was turning left at traffic light I stepped on the accelerator. At first it was like weeeee zoom zoom then it felt like after I got out of the turn I lost control of the car for a slight second but then some how magically the car adjust its steering wheel very abruptly shaking the whole cabin and everyone was like “ahhh” as it shaked the car. Well now I know to never use Sprint mode while turning again only use for straight line shots. Anyways I am Curious what was the car doing and is it normal? Have you experienced this before? If not can you try and tell me what it is ?

Thanks 🙏!
I'm sorry and mean no offence, but what? This has to be a joke, right?

First, if you floor it during a turn, your car will inevitably lose control, no matter if it is a fwd econobox or a Lambo. You can absolutely use sprint in turns, but dont use the extreme power during the turns by flooring it! Again, would have thought that was known...

The car "magically adjusting" itself is because traditional steering wheels (some sbw systems may not) center themselves due to complicated factors (simplified: the tire's want to move in that direction due to the caster angle), and when you lose control the tires will inevitably shift and tend to try to similarly "center" themselves and sometimes follow the elevation of that road (really shitty and oversimplified explanation, i'll admit, and probably wrong in some aspects. theres other factors such as forces and the balance of the car working to bias the wheels, etc. you should probably listen to somebody else as i cant articulate it properly, lol). To be clear and to answer your question, the car "adjusting" the steering is normal. Don't forget, the tires are mechanically attached to the steering itself. This is why F1 drivers let go of their steering wheel during a crash, because if they crash and the tires suddenly turn in a millisecond, the steering wheel will follow that movement and abruptly move, which would break their wrists if they kept their hands on the steering (watch Daniel Ricciardo's crash/injury last year at the Dutch GP FP3 for reference). I got injured in a sim for this same reason. This does NOT, ABSOLUTELY NOT mean you should let go of the steering when you spin, to be clear. I am only giving an analogy to better visualize why the steering will move according to the tires movement.

Last edited:
Perhaps it was just the ESC doing what it's supposed to do ....
Doesn't ESC only adjust the application of torque to the wheels to attempt to maintain control, but not the steering itself? It would explain the car regaining control, but it wouldnt directly be the cause of the steering wheel moving. You're probably right though...

You ever hear of torque steer?
Yes, that is what I was referring to in my first message (although since i'm an idiot i articulated that like garbage 🤣) . I thought you meant that ESC directly moved the steering wheel, which isn't true. I also specifically pointed out the word directly in my message above. Nevertheless, sorry for any confusion.

I haven't had ESC come on in the Lucid because I generally drive like a granny, but on the track in the C4 it's come on and you can definitely feel the effects in the steering wheel.

Sorry what’s ESC
Electronic stability control. It takes data from your car and sees which wheels are spinning and estimates the direction of the skid, after which the car sends more or less torque (power) to certain wheels to try and regain control. Some cars use braking for this, some use actual torque vectoring. I have no data on this for the Lucid, other than the sapphire which I know uses torque vectoring (maybe not for ESC, though?).

They should add a few more warnings like do not floor on turns in sprint mode lol
The only place I'd expect to see that warning is in the lobby of my local driving school or in a kindergarten picture book about driving, TBH. No offence, but it is common knowledge that in NO mode and NO car should you be flooring it in the middle of a turn (more than a 45-60ish degree turn you shouldnt, generally.).

It refers to the brakes as well as "traction motor output"

It refers to the brakes as well as "traction motor output"
I interpreted that as saying it used ESC (brake pressure) and the traction control(traction motor) to reduce drive wheel slip, although you could very well be correct. I don't think the regular Air's can do true motor vectoring though, as they only have one motor per axle (in comparison to the sapphire, which does rear wheel vectoring with 2 motors on the back)?

The only place I'd expect to see that warning is in the lobby of my local driving school or in a kindergarten picture book about driving, TBH. No offence, but it is common knowledge that in NO mode and NO car should you be flooring it in the middle of a turn (more than a 45-60ish degree turn you shouldnt, generally.).
I will be honest this is news to me but now thanks to this driving lesson I have learned it for life now and will never forget it

I can't help but wonder if we're all missing the obvious here...
@blueice89 Do you have Lane Departure in DreamDrive settings set to Intervention?

There's no problem with using Sprint in corners, in fact it's fantastic for that. But you do have to know how to handle it. I also wouldn't suggest changing the drive mode in the middle of a turn, or while accelerating, or anything else particularly out of the normal. Change it while you're stopped or cruising and it will be much less jarring.

Thanks 🙏!
You see this in videos of folks on a track. The steering wheel visibility ping pongs through a turn. I have not felt the urge to do as you do, but this seems a normal response under intense conditions.

The steering wheel is directly "connected" to the tires. As the wheels catch at an angle, the car and the tire get snatched back in alignment.

It's like a bicycle. You can do this in a somewhat safer manner to replicate rather than a 5200+ lbs motor vehicle with passengers. Go really fast. Then abruptly snatch the handles around and lean in. I would say brace for the face plant, but some things are best learned the hard way. The handles will immediately snag and jerk back around as your body continues forward, your wheels "stick" in that position, and the frame wraps/swings around "turning" the handle back straight.

This is a classic example of fuck around and find out

You see this in photos of folks on a track. The steering wheel visibility ping pongs through a turn. I have not felt the urge to do as you do, but this seems a normal response under intense conditions.

The steering wheel is directly "connected" to the tires. As the wheels catch at an angle, the car and the tire get snatched back in alignment.

It's like a bicycle. You can do this in a somewhat safer manner to replicate rather than a 5200+ lbs motor vehicle with passengers. Go really fast. Then abruptly snatch the handles around and lean in. I would say brace for the face plant, but some things are best learned the hard way. The handles will immediately snag and jerk back around as your body continues forward, your wheels "stick" in that position, and the frame wraps/swings around "turning" the handle back straight.
Been there, done that. :( That speed bump was a bitch...

And you really did articulate that far clearer than I did, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back