Some odds and ends

Because now his [DeMuro's] credibility is in question!

I think the credibility of every YouTuber who reviews cars should be approached cautiously. I believe that DeMuro is reasonably balanced and thoughtful in his reviews, but the business model for making your living as a YouTuber is very different from the old days of working as an auto journalist or running a major automotive publication. Those publications covered very wide ranges of auto-related subjects, they had editorial boards, they often had their own testing capabilities, and their subscriber base didn't have a lot of alternative sources for following all things automotive. A reader might become irritated at what he thought was short shrift given to his favorite Ford or Chevy, and he might pen a scathing letter to the editor about it (with little chance of seeing it published) . . . but he wasn't likely to cancel a subscription to "Car & Drive" or "Motor Trend" or "Road & Track" because of it.

YouTubers swim in a competitive sea awash in innumerable alternatives to their channels, with roaming gangs of fanboys who launch attacks across the internet when someone crosses their idols, with people able to subscribe or unsubscribe with the click of a button, and with comment sections that are virtually unbounded in the number and tenor of attacks that can be brought to bear on the YouTuber. The current phenomenon where a hack such as Warren Redlich can scrape out a living as an inveterate Lucid-hater whose ill-informed views get propagated across the internet couldn't have existed in the earlier environment of auto journalism.

I doubt if there is a financially successful YouTuber out there who doesn't keep a close eye on how his content will affect his click tally and subscription numbers.

I don't know how many noticed, but his interior sound recording was unquestionably quieter than so many others I've seen & heard.
I think this may have to do what I mentioned some time ago. Many use audio from GoPro that's attached to the glass and sound can be direct transmission. It's why professional mic are suspended using suppression. Name escapes me at the moment.

Last edited:
Maybe to make it seem louder? I sense some shenanigans afoot..

DeMuro is a hardcore car guy.

He just purchased his most expensive daily driver ; a Land Rover Defender at a bit over $60k.

He has purchased used sports cars for much higher betting on little depreciation when he sells.

If Doug made $2M/year I think he would buy much more expensive cars.

There was also the youtube adpocalypse a couple of years ago where utubers lost 75% of their ad revenue overnight and started begging for money via patreon. And in some cases had to get real jobs .;)

Here's gif of the cabin lights

No I just discovered it because my 2 year old was pushing every single thing she could get her fingers on

Mmm, makes me wonder what else is hidden or not so obvious.

Like really where does the cover over the cup holders go???

Nothing I suppose, just posting random stuff.

It is for me. There is no extra bump so it's the same as your driving leg

The Air is quieter than any car I've owned or driven. Compared to a MB S class it's quiter in the front for sure, but don't have any dara regarding the EQS. There is road noise but it's something that is inevitable for a car that feels this planted and connected to the road. I'm also on 21" which bring that noise in more.
The speakers are great, I just wish I had a Dolby source to really test it out. Otherwise everything is crisp but for my personal preference slightly lacking in bass.

Acceleration is awesome in Sprint. In smooth and swift you feel a lot less throttle response on the accelerator.
So during my test drive we did listen to a dolby atmos Beatles song (Get Back) through Apple Music and it was easily the best car stereo I've ever heard. I've had four Porsches, two Mercedes, a BMW, and four Lexus and this stereo with Dolby Atmos easily beats them all!!

So I've had a bit more time with the car and have some other tidbits to share...

1) The 21" Dream wheels have aero covers which can be removed. After finding that out, I am looking into getting my calipers painted.

2) The UI takes some time to boot up entering the car. Once you open the door and get in, you can drive within about 5 seconds but the UI will not have finished loading yet so no cameras, no hold assist, no parking sensors, nothing computer related will be working yet until it finishes loading.

3) Facial recognition among the 4 users I programmed in worked well to adjust our seats, mirrors, and steering wheel. I'd like to see or maybe find the setting where we can save our driving preference as well (drive mode, hold assist, creep, and regen mode).

4) Homelink was easy to setup pretty standard.

5) DreamDrive has many options disabled currently. I was told that roght know the only functions I could access were lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control.

6) Setting up a dashcam right now is proving to be an interesting puzzle considering the 12v plug is in the trunk. I ordered one to see how routing wires work and will report back after I give it a go.

7) Phone key and key fob work well. Car will automatically start up and unlock about 10 feet away and will also lock automatically when you get about 10 feet away. I hope in the future the car will have an option to automatically close all windows upon lock.

8) Alexa works albeit slightly slow. Syncing the Lucid app to my Google Home was easy but I have only been able to ask Google once about the status of my car and have it work. Other times the Lucid AI states she cannot get that information for me. The Lucid AI voice is superior to Google Homr and I wish I could change all my AI voices to hers.

9) One the Lucid provided home charger, with the Nema 14-50 plug I was getting 35mi/hr at 78% SOC. With the standard 110 plug I was getting 1mi/hr.

10) I am able to fit a set of 7 year old twins into the frunk with no issue.
Regardng #6 above, couldn't you use a USB to cigarette lighter socket accessory to power your dashcam? Yeah you would have to run the wire down to the center console but then easy to remove and place out of sight when you park it. If you find a convenient way to run the wiring out of sight to hardwire to the 12V in the trunk, I'd like the details please.

Back