Some odds and ends

Some minor thing, changing driver profile also changes audio settings as well i.e. equalizer was different under different driver profiles

Some minor thing, changing driver profile also changes audio settings as well i.e. equalizer was different under different driver profiles

Good to know. That will be a big issue in our car. Tesla doesn't link audio settings to the profile, and I always have to the kill the bass manually that "someone" likes to crank up.

And that is "All She Wrote!" I loved his review!!!
Agree. I did find it interesting that he did not include the EQS in the luxury EV comparisons. I assumed he has test-driven it as he mentioned it in his Lucid review but I could be wrong.

As someone pointed out in the YouTube comments (a place I normally try to avoid) that Doug gave the Lucid Air a practicality rating of 5 but the Model S Plaid a 7.

That makes no sense honestly. The Air has a bigger front trunk, and more leg room in the back seats. Also has much further range. The only thing that is more practical in the Model S is the hatch style truck opening, and the charging network. It should have been a 7 for the Air making it a score of 75.

The only thing that is more practical in the Model S is the hatch style truck opening
Having a sedan with a traditional trunk with fold down rear seats and a hatchback, I'd have to agree with the 5 and 7. Maybe due to the larger frunk, +1 for the Air but it would still be 6 to 7. The restriction caused by the opening between the trunk and rear seat area has me using the hatchback by default when carrying large items or large number of items. I think he would score any trunk vs hatchback the same.

That's what doesn't really make sense to me at least. The Lucid has more passenger space. How often do you need to transport things in a hatchback versus people? Luggage is not an issue unless you have a ton. And the biggest thing for me at least, you CANNOT fit 3 car seats in a Model S..

From Doug's website, explaining his Doug Score components:

Practicality

Like acceleration, practicality will mainly be based on an objective standard that primarily considers cubic feet of cargo volume. It’ll go like this:

• 0 to 3 cubic feet: 1
  • 3.1 to 6.5 cubic feet: 2
  • 6.6 to 11 cubic feet: 3
  • 11.1 to 16 cubic feet: 4
  • 16.1 to 24 cubic feet: 5
  • 24.1 to 34 cubic feet: 6
  • 34.1 to 48 cubic feet: 7
  • 48.1 to 64 cubic feet: 8
  • 64.1 to 72 cubic feet: 9
  • 72.1 cubic feet and up: 10
With that said, some cars may jump ahead of their “cubic feet” class with a few tricks. For example, the Porsche 911 only has 4.7 cubic feet of cargo space, which would give it a “2” — but it has back seats and a lot of little interior storage pockets. That’s probably enough to get it up to the “3” category, even if it doesn’t have the storage volume of some of its “3” peers.

Additionally, “practicality” will be the category that considers fuel economy. While the Mercedes GL63 AMG’s massive 93.8 cubic feet of cargo space easily earn it a “10” in this category, its combined 14 miles per gallon would drop that figure right down to a “9” — especially since many other vehicles offer similar cargo space without the massive penalty in fuel economy.

Finally, this category considers how practical a car is to actually use. For example, the Rolls Royce Phantom has good cargo room, but wouldn’t be something you’d drive everywhere — it’s huge and attracts massive amounts of attention.

Doesn't quite explain a 5, but whatever. Still tied with Plaid for highest score ever, other than 2 McLaren supercars.

From Doug's website, explaining his Doug Score components:

Doesn't quite explain a 5, but whatever. Still tied with Plaid for highest score ever, other than 2 McLaren supercars.
Tesla Model S has 31 cubic feet of storage space when you combine the hatch and front truck. The Lucid Aid has 26.1 cubic feet when you combine the trunk and front trunk.

So they both should have scored a 6. Like you said, doesn't really matter.

I like DeMuro's reviews, but you have to remember that he is running a business -- and a very lucrative one (YouTube ad revenues alone estimated at $2MM per annum).

Given the cult mentality of the Tesla fanboy base and their attack campaigns on anyone/anything that threatens to dislodge Tesla's claims of product superiority, I suspect DeMuro would have thought long and hard about finding a way to make his point about Lucid's excellence without quite stepping over the line of giving it a numerical rating higher than Tesla's flagship product.

So why not use a criterion as non-technology based as "practicality" to strike the balance?

I like DeMuro's reviews, but you have to remember that he is running a business -- and a very lucrative one (YouTube ad revenues alone estimated at $2MM per annum).

Given the cult mentality of the Tesla fanboy base and their attack campaigns on anyone/anything that threatens to dislodge Tesla's claims of product superiority, I suspect DeMuro would have thought long and hard about finding a way to make his point about Lucid's excellence without quite stepping over the line of giving it a numerical rating higher than Tesla's flagship product.

So why not use a criterion as non-technology based as "practicality" to strike the balance?
Totally agree. I said this exact thing to my wife last night when we were discussing the review.

Because now his credibility is in question!

I don't know how many noticed, but his interior sound recording was unquestionably quieter than so many others I've seen & heard.

My first guess would be because the road up in Newark aren't as bad as the ones around the Casa Grande Factory

Back