Sapphire in September

So you decided to get the sapphire? What made you change your mind?
I spoke to Yusuf, headquarters sales advisor (he called after my inquiry about refundable deposit) and was very serious about alternative wheel options, especially the states that may require all season/winter tires.
He didn't promise anything except forwarding this obvious issue to the "leadership team" (I'm quoting now).
see what happens.

Edit,
I just love the color and exclusively of it, btw he confirmed the limited production.

I spoke to Yusuf, headquarters sales advisor (he called after my inquiry about refundable deposit) and was very serious about alternative wheel options, especially the states that may require all season/winter tires.
He didn't promise anything except forwarding this obvious issue to the leadership team (I'm quoting now).
Let's see what happens.
Lucid does listen to feedback then!
Also, since a suspension option was added to the configurator, I suspect they could add a "track" suspension and a "touring" suspension. Kind of like the lotus Emira!

Also, hold up. I just noticed that even with the metal roof, the roof color is a contrasting black. For the touring and pure, it makes it one body color.
Could we be getting an option soon for painted metal roofs? I am sure that many people would like this.

The joke is Lucid fans throwing shade at Tesla for being vaporware.
Except that the Roadster is, at present, vaporware, and has been for the better part of a decade.

Trust me, I wanted one. But I’ve given up waiting and there are about to be other options.

How much does the glass roof weigh? I don't understand how some weight can make such a difference. The motors weigh 160lbs with everything at a weight reduction of 1/3 to competitors: https://www.wardsauto.com/2022-10-best-engines-propulsion-systems/lucid-air-monstrous-lightweight

Does 50+ pounds really make a difference per motor? 3 x motors is 150lbs. The window is how much: 50-60? I don't know the weight. What I'm really trying to get at is you could put an adult in the passenger seat to cancel out the weight savings, particularly the heftier American body. So how much does the difference actually matter?

I've also seen people note a difference in rim weight being noticeable. Haven't had the chance to experience anything of the sort, so I was hoping for insight from those experienced on the actual difference in drive from the weight difference, particularly in a 5,200lb car.
in f1 last year, some teams resorted to stripping paint off their cars to reduce weight. according to this tweet: the cars have about 6kg worth of paint, so when they strip it down, there is a theoretical reduction of ~0.18 sec/lap. obviously, f1 is at the far end of this current discussion spectrum, but i think we can draw parallels, especially since the sapphire has a track audience.

in f1 last year, some teams resorted to stripping paint off their cars to reduce weight. according to this tweet: the cars have about 6kg worth of paint, so when they strip it down, there is a theoretical reduction of ~0.18 sec/lap. obviously, f1 is at the far end of this current discussion spectrum, but i think we can draw parallels, especially since the sapphire has a track audience.
And the fact that Red Bull's F1 aero engineer contributed to the aerodynamics design of the Lucid.

really? adrian newey worked on the lucid?!
I don’t know if it was a current RB aero engineer or former one, but in their marketing materials they said the aero had been designed by a RB F1 aero engineer.

Ah it was actually Jean-Charles Monnet who did aero on Sebastian Vettel’s Red Bull when he was with them.

He didn't promise anything except forwarding this obvious issue to the "leadership team" (I'm quoting now).
see what happens.

Edit,
I just love the color and exclusively of it, btw he confirmed the limited production.
I understand limited production. There's no way they will have any left after 4 years (earliest I could get one). Alongside the others, I would hope for a trimotor in the GT line at that point.

Finally a fellow f1 fan!
Ah it was actually Jean-Charles Monnet who did aero on Sebastian Vettel’s Red Bull when he was with them.
He made the "blown diffuser" and pioneered so many things that eventually got banned for being too fast. Thats why the Air has good downforce while keeping drag to a minimum.

youre right. did a quick google search and a motortrend 2021 article that briefly touched on his contributions. not to get off topic, but here's a part from the article about it

Achieving the Lucid Air's 500-mile-plus range required moonshot aerodynamic efficiency the likes of which only Formula 1 racing teams achieve, so Lucid hired Jean-Charles Monnet away from Adrian Newey's Red Bull Racing team.
No element of the Air's upper or underbody escaped Monnet's fanatical attention, and several of his innovations mark firsts in the road car space. Many of these involve leveraging wind vortices—mini tornados. Together they result in a drag coefficient of 0.200—a remarkable number for a roomy sedan that, when multiplied by the car's modest frontal area, produces the rare result of a battery electric vehicle whose EPA highway efficiency rating tops its city figures (for most models).
sounds like they actually hired him away from redbull, so i wonder when he left and what he took from redbull (did he have insight in the 2022 f1 regulation changes that early on which he applied to lucid?), considering there's massive lead times from design concept to product delivery.

So, you think purchasing 2 Plaids equals purchasing 1 Sapphire?
How will they (2 Plaids) do better in performance/ride quality and such?
The Plaids is good from 0 to 60, that's all.

Well yeah, but what are you going to do, combine all of those cars into one and get a 1.8 0-60? Some people just want the fastest cars in the world.
Also, have you tried taking a turn in a plaid? You guys basically replaced the challenger for that.
I really hate to sound pro Tesla, personally will not buy a Tesla due the the way they treat their customers. But if there is a car out there that is:

- 1/2 the price of the Sapphire
- 95% of the Performance
- Proven (for both good and bad)
- Much better aftermarket support
- Much better charging network
- Available for immediate delivery

Many will find that proposition attractive, or how about a Plaid for daily and a dedicated fun car for the weekend? In this context, the Sapphire price is not competitive. In fact the price of the entire Air line up is not competitive. That's a huge problem for Lucid.

How much better performing is the Sapphire? So far, marginal in acceleration. In terms of handling and braking, we don't know yet, but don't forget that the Sapphire will be working with ~500lbs of additional weight.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
I really hate to sound pro Tesla, personally will not buy a Tesla due the the way they treat their customers. But if there is a car out there that is:

- 95% of the Performance

Many will find that proposition attractive, or how about a Plaid for daily and a dedicated fun car for the weekend? In this context, the Sapphire price is not competitive. In fact the price of the entire Air line up is not competitive. That's a huge problem for Lucid.

How much better performing is the Sapphire? So far, marginal in acceleration. In terms of handling and braking, we don't know yet, but don't forget that the Sapphire will be working with ~500lbs of additional weight.
Because you get this with only two motors, albeit the GT Performance model:
Goodwill Hill Climb

Laguna Seca Hill Climb:

What would you get with three motors tuned for track performance? Hard to say for certain until it gets released, but you have solid examples/insights in the meantime:

You get all this in a five person, saloon style sedan with Nappa leather and other premium interior styling. Then you get all the space if you did want to take it out for grocery shopping. I won't rehash those stats. Car and Driver: https://www.caranddriver.com/lucid-motors/air

You get what you pay for. Tesla is a luxury brand as much as a Prius is a sports car, part of the pricing of a Lucid. The performance you are paying for between the two is exceptional as well. A car is a holistic purchase, not a few selected stats.

Charging networks will improve. Performance is not just straight line. Not sure what you mean by aftermarket support or the statistics to this claim. Luxury cars cost more, and better performance characteristics cost more.

So we go around and around. I don't know. This grows old.

I would like to see a Laguna lap time for the Sapphire. Better comparisons are to be made such as the M5 and other target cars for Lucid on the track, not a Model S Plaid. Anyone know what's so special about the M5? Why did they pick that car to be a benchmark?

Because you get this with only two motors, albeit the GT Performance model:
Goodwill Hill Climb

Laguna Seca Hill Climb:

What would you get with three motors tuned for track performance? Hard to say for certain until it gets released, but you have solid examples/insights in the meantime:

You get all this in a five person, saloon style sedan with Nappa leather and other premium interior styling. Then you get all the space if you did want to take it out for grocery shopping. I won't rehash those stats. Car and Driver: https://www.caranddriver.com/lucid-motors/air

You get what you pay for. Tesla is a luxury brand as much as a Prius is a sports car, part of the pricing of a Lucid. The performance you are paying for between the two is exceptional as well. A car is a holistic purchase, not a few selected stats.

Charging networks will improve. Performance is not just straight line. Not sure what you mean by aftermarket support or the statistics to this claim. Luxury cars cost more, and better performance characteristics cost more.

So we go around and around. I don't know. This grows old.

I would like to see a Laguna lap time for the Sapphire. Better comparisons are to be made such as the M5 and other target cars for Lucid on the track, not a Model S Plaid. Anyone know what's so special about the M5? Why did they pick that car to be a benchmark?
I would say that plaid and sapphire are targeted towards different audiences. If I wanted just pure acceleration(read:drag car) I would get the Plaid by FAR. It is much cheaper. For a track car though, I wouldnt even consider the plaid even with its obvious price advantage

Also, forget laguna seca. What we need is a Green Hell lap!

- 95% of the Performance

I honestly completely agree with you, especially with the sapphire. Pure vs S is pretty similar though, so I would argue the Air lineup is somewhat competitive. If we stuck with the old pricing though.. so many more people would buy it.

youre right. did a quick google search and a motortrend 2021 article that briefly touched on his contributions. not to get off topic, but here's a part from the article about it

sounds like they actually hired him away from redbull, so i wonder when he left and what he took from redbull (did he have insight in the 2022 f1 regulation changes that early on which he applied to lucid?), considering there's massive lead times from design concept to product delivery.
F1 2022 had a development stop as it was originally meant to be introduced in 2021 but got delayed due to Covid. Anyways, that would mean he had a part in the RB16b and the RB18, which are the MOST dominant cars of all time in F1.

F1 2022 had a development stop as it was originally meant to be introduced in 2021 but got delayed due to Covid. Anyways, that would mean he had a part in the RB16b and the RB18, which are the MOST dominant cars of all time in F1.
youre right. makes me wonder what the lead times are. if he left 2 years before rb18, he most likely would have worked extensively on the car design philosophy. but if he was hired like 4 years before rb18, maybe it was only conceptual? either way, derailed this thread long enough. back to topic

youre right. makes me wonder what the lead times are. if he left 2 years before rb18, he most likely would have worked extensively on the car design philosophy. but if he was hired like 4 years before rb18, maybe it was only conceptual? either way, derailed this thread long enough. back to topic
Its funny that almost every thread about Sapphire turns into a discussion of various cars. Perhaps because the sapphire crowd is more enthusiastic?

Except that the Roadster is, at present, vaporware, and has been for the better part of a decade.

Trust me, I wanted one. But I’ve given up waiting and there are about to be other options.
What are you seeing for convertible options? I still don’t see any. Figure Taycan will be one at some point. Others?

Back