Regenerative braking

Tesla has a setting "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited." I haven't experienced it personally, but that sounds pretty useful. It'd be great for consistency / avoiding high-speed surprises if Lucid automatically applied the friction brakes when necessary to maintain roughly the same feeling regardless of regen conditions.
You are still in control though. You can still use the brake as well if you need to stop faster. It just (as I understand it anyway) makes the motion of releasing the accelerator have the same expected result every time, regardless of temperature or state of charge which you might not be thinking about.

I haven't actually had any issues with it - I'm not so far removed from two-pedal driving that I don't still have the instinct to move my foot over - but it has surprised me a few times now at high speeds and low temperatures, which is enough that I'd at least try out that feature if it were implemented.
The only issue I’ve found with the Tesla implementation is that it can cause you to feel that the brakes aren’t working, since you have to depress the pedal past where it’s already at. It feels very odd, but maybe you get used to it.

...Apparently, the i4's Live Vehicle widget in the display will show you when the brake lights are on.
I think a few automakers' cars do this.

Talk about jealousy.
I have 2 EVs and neither has this feature.
Mercedes' response to CR's inquiry was alarming. Hope they can pull their head out of their behind soon.

Saw this on a recent thread on the BMW forum:
Apparently, the i4's Live Vehicle widget in the display will show you when the brake lights are on.
Nice feature.
As well as when your turn signals are on.

My hypothesis. Nothing has changed but at lower battery temps the inverter software is not optimizing performance as it should. So at temps below about 40 degrees, those of us in colder climates are uncovering a weakness in the functionality of the inverter controls. Over 50 degrees you would not experience this issue. To some extent you would expect regen to perform differently at lower temperatures but the regen inconsistency many of us have experienced is unacceptable and it is clearly a flaw in the software controlling it. Legally, Lucid does not want to admit there is a problem until it has a solution to correct it.
Living in the Chicago area, it has been very cold over the past month, temps well below zero. I have noticed on numerous occasions now that the regenerative braking is inconsistent in these frigid temps. After parking my car outside on a night when it was -6 degrees overnight, the regenerative braking did not kick in for at least the first ten minutes of my ride. It was almost as though the braking system needed to warm up in some way?? I always keep my car charged somewhere between 20-80% but rarely let it go below 50% when it’s this cold out. The weather has been admittedly brutal so it’s hard to pin this entirely on Lucid, but the inconsistent regenerative braking has definitely kept me on my toes lately. I have only noticed this problem once before in normal temperatures.

Living in the Chicago area, it has been very cold over the past month, temps well below zero. I have noticed on numerous occasions now that the regenerative braking is inconsistent in these frigid temps. After parking my car outside on a night when it was -6 degrees overnight, the regenerative braking did not kick in for at least the first ten minutes of my ride. It was almost as though the braking system needed to warm up in some way?? I always keep my car charged somewhere between 20-80% but rarely let it go below 50% when it’s this cold out. The weather has been admittedly brutal so it’s hard to pin this entirely on Lucid, but the inconsistent regenerative braking has definitely kept me on my toes lately. I have only noticed this problem once before in normal temperatures.
Your battery cannot charge when it is cold. Hence, there is no place for the regenerative braking energy to go so regen is severely limited.

Strange, I’m also in the Chicago area and did not notice this at all during the cold snap

I still find regenerative breaking inconsistent (it didn't used to be this way) and Seattle area weather is warm (50s) right now. I'm coming up on my 1 year service in March and will complain at that time in the hopes that service can find and fix something.

Yesterday, it scared the hell out of me. Regen had worked as expected a few times and then on the highway doing 60 and needing to slow down because of a sudden slow down of traffic, I got no perceivable regen. I lost a precious second or so processing what was happing before braking somewhat hard.

I still find regenerative breaking inconsistent (it didn't used to be this way) and Seattle area weather is warm (50s) right now. I'm coming up on my 1 year service in March and will complain at that time in the hopes that service can find and fix something.

Yesterday, it scared the hell out of me. Regen had worked as expected a few times and then on the highway doing 60 and needing to slow down because of a sudden slow down of traffic, I got no perceivable regen. I lost a precious second or so processing what was happing before braking somewhat hard.
Did you come off ACC or highway assist? Regen doesn't kick in until after a second now.

Did you come off ACC or highway assist? Regen doesn't kick in until after a second now.
It’s much better now. Used to “slam on” the regen when coming off ACC/HA.

If you were at a high state of charge, your regen will be limited. At slower speeds regen can seem normal even at high SOC but at higher highway speeds the regen will seem limited. The reason for this that kinetic energy is proportional to the square of velocity so there is a lot more energy that regenerative braking needs to put back into the battery at higher speeds. At higher SOC, your battery cannot take high current so the car will limit regen. At slower speeds there is less current from regenerative braking so the battery can accept all of the current from regenerative braking.

It’s much better now. Used to “slam on” the regen when coming off ACC/HA.
I agree here. Normally, there's a brief period of light regen and then it gets heavier, which is perfect. This was not that.

If you were at a high state of charge, your regen will be limited. At slower speeds regen can seem normal even at high SOC but at higher highway speeds the regen will seem limited. The reason for this that kinetic energy is proportional to the square of velocity so there is a lot more energy that regenerative braking needs to put back into the battery at higher speeds. At higher SOC, your battery cannot take high current so the car will limit regen. At slower speeds there is less current from regenerative braking so the battery can accept all of the current from regenerative braking.
I had charged to 80%. I drove a bit so I'm guessing I was 75% or so but didn't look. Unless (and I don't think this is the case), regen won't charge up past the charge limit, I don't see how this could be the explanation. Also, I've had the car for about 10 months now and I feel there was a definite behavior change around 3ish months ago. I don't know if this is a hardware failure or a software change, but definitely feel it behaves differently and that it's inconsistent. If I could make it repro consistently, I'd have contacted customer service by now.

I feel like 2.1.10 doesn't break as quickly. It seems to have more roll before stopping.
It feels like they updated regen breaking to rely more on an object being in front of you (car detection). I wish you could turn this off any utterly hate it.

I had charged to 80%. I drove a bit so I'm guessing I was 75% or so but didn't look. Unless (and I don't think this is the case), regen won't charge up past the charge limit, I don't see how this could be the explanation. Also, I've had the car for about 10 months now and I feel there was a definite behavior change around 3ish months ago. I don't know if this is a hardware failure or a software change, but definitely feel it behaves differently and that it's inconsistent. If I could make it repro consistently, I'd have contacted customer service by now.
I agree. Something with the regen has changed. It is no longer 100% one pedal driving which I was used to and do like the most of ev driving. What has changed ?

I agree. Something with the regen has changed. It is no longer 100% one pedal driving which I was used to and do like the most of ev driving. What has changed ?
Haven’t noticed any change. I’ve driven the car over 400 miles in the last three days.

Are all y'all experiencing changes on cold weather? Can't regen on a cold battery

Back