Radar detectors

Bunnylebowski

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT Black/Tahoe/19"
Couldn’t find another thread on this topic:
My Uniden radar detector has probably saved me at least $2,000 in speeding tickets, I love the thing. BUT it’s powered via the cigarette lighter jack, and the Lucid’s 12v Jack is….in the trunk ☹️ Have any of you set up a radar detector in the vehicle? And if so where did you put it? Looks like it would be tough, because where would you plug it in, even if via USB, which are inside the arm rest?

I got mine custom installed; not sure if a detector would work through the tinted windshield, but the custom install looks great.

I got mine custom installed; not sure if a detector would work through the tinted windshield, but the custom install looks great.
Where do we place the toll transponder then?

Where do we place the toll transponder then?
There's an opening in the coating (not normally visible, but Lucid has confirmed this) at the bottom right of the windshield (passenger side). Not sure if you could put both a toll transponder and a detector there; I'm not sure how big it is.

Check the Radenso posts by Hmp10.

I use the K40 Platinum 360 in my cars.

There's an opening in the coating (not normally visible, but Lucid has confirmed this) at the bottom right of the windshield (passenger side). Not sure if you could put both a toll transponder and a detector there; I'm not sure how big it is.

It is barely big enough for the toll transponder. You can’t have both there, unfortunately.

I don't have one, but for others, it's a small rectangular section in the bottom passenger side of the windshield, it's very obvious because the color is different. If you can't see one, then you are like me and don't have a cutout

I don't have one, but for others, it's a small rectangular section in the bottom passenger side of the windshield, it's very obvious because the color is different. If you can't see one, then you are like me and don't have a cutout
Thanks, @hydbob. I sometimes get on the 91 Express and would need to use the transponder.

Couldn’t find another thread on this topic:
My Uniden radar detector has probably saved me at least $2,000 in speeding tickets, I love the thing. BUT it’s powered via the cigarette lighter jack, and the Lucid’s 12v Jack is….in the trunk ☹️ Have any of you set up a radar detector in the vehicle? And if so where did you put it? Looks like it would be tough, because where would you plug it in, even if via USB, which are inside the arm rest?
I have (had) the Valentine V1 Gen 2 radar detector and as you said, it has saved me more times than I can count over the years. However, I just sold it on the RDF forum. The reason is the Lucid windshield has a metallic coating and the radar detector won't work through it. Yes there is a very small area on the lower right side of the windshield. I bought a USB to "cigarette lighter socket" cable for about $8 that does allow the detector to be powered from the center console with the coiled wire running across the dash however mounting the unit in that very small area is almost impossible to get a proper alignment and further it constantly falses on the laser detection (which can be turned off). The bottom line is as much as I wanted it to work, it simply isn't an acceptable solution. If it did work I would have run a cable to the socket in the trunk but alas it is not to be. So I sold it and now have to be more careful should I decide to go fast!! The only other viable alternative I know of is to do as Hmp10 and Borski did and have a custom setup installed. At this time I just don't want to go that route.

For some reason, early DEs didn't have the section with no metallic coating. Another owner reported that Lucid replaced her windshield because she needed to use a transponder and it wouldn't work with the full windshield being coated. She was one of the first 12 to receive a DE.

There should be multiple Dream owners out there with transponders.
Will be informative to learn how they handle this issue.

There should be multiple Dream owners out there with transponders.
Will be informative to learn how they handle this issue.

Most dreams had it. For context, I’m #241 and have the window. It was only the very early dreams that didn’t.

If you use a transponder, I’m certain Lucid will replace your windshield with the one with the window if you ask and don’t have it.

Most dreams had it. For context, I’m #241 and have the window. It was only the very early dreams that didn’t.

If you use a transponder, I’m certain Lucid will replace your windshield with the one with the window if you ask and don’t have it.
Maybe I will conveniently need a transponder window when I get my first rock chip...

... It was only the very early dreams that didn’t.
I must just not be seeing it then. I'm certainly not one of the early dreams.

Or I got somebody else's replacement windshield. :)

Oh, interesting. I can't see anything on mine. I just assumed the film was invisible.
Most likely yours is there but it is blocked currently by the temporary registration sticker. Once you take that off it will be there.

Most likely yours is there but it is blocked currently by the temporary registration sticker. Once you take that off it will be there.
Thanks @SaratogaLefty. It seemed like a good theory so I temporarily pulled off the registration sticker, but I still see nothing (photos attached).

I emailed customer care yesterday and they confirmed what people have been saying here:
If a vehicle does not have this cutout, it is one of our first deliveries and toll transponders will not register through the front glass. To resolve this problem on early vehicles, here are two interim solution.

The toll transponder can be placed at the top of the rear glass. This solution was validated by our engineering team, and again is a temporary solution until windshield inventory is more widely available.

Also, it is a good idea to add/link your Lucid Dream Edition to your FasTrak account using pay-by-plate.

My vehicle isn't an early vehicle or one of the first deliveries (I just got it last week). I've emailed them with a followup. The good news is they do confirm they'll be replacing the windshield (if it really doesn't have a cutout) once inventory is better.

I'm also having mobile service come out for my dead USB-C port, so I'll have them confirm onsite too.

Attachments

• IMG_6418.png
    IMG_6418.png
    630.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_6417.png
    IMG_6417.png
    540.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_6415.png
    IMG_6415.png
    422.3 KB · Views: 193
Back