What's new

Radar Detector Hard Wire Installation?

SaratogaLefty

Join
Dec 7, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Dream Edition P 21"
I have a Dream on order and I’m curious if anyone has found a way to hard wire a radar detector? In my last car (Porsche Panamera) I had it hardwired from the fuse box (under dash) and then up the A Pillar and inside the headliner. Obviously this won’t work on the Dream but maybe there is a way to connect through the back of the rear view mirror?? I know this was possible on a number of other cars but don’t know about the Dream? Any thoughts?

hydbob

Expert Member
Join
Nov 14, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Dream P
DE Number
From what I was told by the service guys, there's a fuse cluster in the box behind the rear view mirror. Obviously, they advised against opening that up at all, so if you fully trust your tech doing the install, that would be your perogative.

SaratogaLefty

Join
Dec 7, 2021
Vehicle(s)
Dream Edition P 21"
So after my test drive I have a plan for using the radar detector. I bought a converter on Amazon that provides a USB connection attached to a lighter socket accessory. I will have to mount the detector using the suction cups and run the provided coiled cord (which I was hoping to avoid with a hard wire installation) down to the center console USB connection point. Then when I park the car in public, I can just remove it from the windshield and place it under the lower screen in the "secret" compartment out of sight. Not the best solution, but workable.