Out of Spec - Lots of Good Coverage

Can you reject a car based on the paint job? I have a shop near me ready to do PPF and tinting.
Just to be clear, a ton of folks have had full paint correction, PPF, and ceramic applied, including myself. My paint was not this thin, so it may be a one-off.

No idea if you can reject based on paint.

Just to be clear, a ton of folks have had full paint correction, PPF, and ceramic applied, including myself. My paint was not this thin, so it may be a one-off.

No idea if you can reject based on paint.
Is paint correction a separate service from PPF? I did not realize it may be a separate thing.

Is paint correction a separate service from PPF? I did not realize it may be a separate thing.
Any responsible PPF and Ceramic installer will always do a full paint correction first. When I had my car done my installer commented that the paint on my Dream Edition was far superior to the paint he has seen on the large number of Teslas he has worked on in the past. He told me the paint condition was excellent.

Kyle's video had me excited about the possibility of getting my GT again. And slightly sickened about having to take it with 19" wheels instead of 20".
The 20" wheels should be available by next quarter, maybe even later this quarter. My AGT should be delivered within a week or so with 19's and I plan to get a set of 20's spring. I need the 19's for winter in NE anyway. I ordered the lug covers and the center caps that they can install during PDI when they remove the aero covers. AS tires are not optimal for winter driving in NE, but when they are new they should answer well enough. I am not sure that winter compound tires specifically for Air are available this season for the 20" wheels anyway. Also, narrower wheels are better with winter compound tires if there are more than a few inches of snow on the roads.

….and another OoS video. 1:32 long! Will need to pop some popcorn and take a few bio-breaks!

….and another OoS video. 1:32 long! Will need to pop some popcorn and take a few bio-breaks!

The video says that the paint in several places is too thin. Is PPF a solution?

So if the paint is too thin then when your installer does the paint correction before putting on the PPF there could be problems. My installer told me the paint on my Dream Edition was significantly better than the paint on all the Teslas he had done over the past years. In any case, he did a full paint correction, then the PPF, and then the ceramic coating. My paint looks great and cleans up easily.

So if the paint is too thin then when your installer does the paint correction before putting on the PPF there could be problems. My installer told me the paint on my Dream Edition was significantly better than the paint on all the Teslas he had done over the past years. In any case, he did a full paint correction, then the PPF, and then the ceramic coating. My paint looks great and cleans up easily.
My installer did the same. My paint was not too thin and a full paint correction was done. If you take a look at OCDetailing’s YouTube videos they’ve done videos of a few Lucids now, including my own.

Yeah I only had PPF done on the front of the car, but my shop also said the paint was “pretty good” and definitely better than Tesla. I think this owner’s car was a one-off problem? The worst areas seemed to be the bow tie cantrail in the back, but I’m not sure what material/paint that is, or if you would even try paint correct it.

Here's a new one about charging and the paint.

TLDR: paint is super thin in some areas (cantrails and hood)
Holy cow! I never experienced 350kW stall, the fastest I ever saw mine was 174kW receiving. This video is pretty awesome!

3CBC29D6-8592-4206-8C09-F2CBA3879999.jpeg

Given the failure rate of 21” and the 100% chance of almost daily pothole impact here in Rhode Island, I’m happy with the 19” even though they look worse than the other wheels. I’ve hit curbs 4 times now (all were my fault, not the car’s), and countless potholes hard, and the rims are still scratch free and no tire damage. These 19” are STRONG. They don’t like being at 49PSI though, they frequently dip to 48 after inflating to 49.
I don't know what's wrong with me but I like the look of the 19" wheels.
The video made me insecure...but the roads in PA are the most traveled in the country...constantly being repaired means constantly in dis-repair. But now I feel bad about my 19s ... see what you've done? I think the other wheels Lucid offers are UGLY!

The video made me insecure...but the roads in PA are the most traveled in the country...constantly being repaired means constantly in dis-repair. But now I feel bad about my 19s ... see what you've done? I think the other wheels Lucid offers are UGLY!
I am not a car guy by any means. Are the rims replaceable where you can just put the rubber tire part on them? Kyle's Model S has some kind of fancy rims.

So if folks really do not like the 19" rims, could they just swap out the rims?

Ha. Yes, I felt bad for the owner of the car every time they kept harping about the wheels.

I like all the wheels offered on the Air. And I’m pretty picky about wheels. The 19s (once you take the plastic covers out) are not my least favorite of the bunch. Which is fortunate, because the Colorado winters pretty much made them required.

I actually would choose the standard 21s last, though those are still nice.

My favorite wheels are the 20s. Wish there were winter tires available at that size. Maybe in the summer I’ll just get a set and use those in the summer?

I am not a car guy by any means. Are the rims replaceable where you can just put the rubber tire part on them? Kyle's Model S has some kind of fancy rims.

So if folks really do not like the 19" rims, could they just swap out the rims?
You can, but you need to be sure they can handle the weight of the Air. It’s a very heavy sedan. So there won’t be as many options.

Also, they could have an effect on your aerodynamics, which means a hit to range, potentially.

Holy cow! I never experienced 350kW stall, the fastest I ever saw mine was 174kW receiving. This video is pretty awesome!

View attachment 5162
This is something that’s been slightly bugging me. Yesterday I ran a full battery precondition and only saw 130 kWhs out of a 150kWh stalls. My average charging session was more around 100kWh. With that being noted, it’s a fairly consistent experience I’ve had across EA stalls without it being exceeded much even when in 350 stalls. 175 ish is more of the top from what I’ve seen. I’m not entirely sure this is 100% an EA problem but it could be. I did not get the same messaging he did when charging telling me that the car was limited by the station…

This is something that’s been slightly bugging me. Yesterday I ran a full battery precondition and only saw 130 kWhs out of a 150kWh stalls. My average charging session was more around 100kWh. With that being noted, it’s a fairly consistent experience I’ve had across EA stalls without it being exceeded much even when in 350 stalls. 175 ish is more of the top from what I’ve seen. I’m not entirely sure this is 100% an EA problem but it could be. I did not get the same messaging he did when charging telling me that the car was limited by the station…
I have an EA station nearby with 150Kw stalls that I use quite often. Yes I have seen 175Kw in the beginning of the charge but it will drop down to 100Kw as it increases the SOC. I also often have seen the message in the car indicating the charging session was being limited by the station. In any case, charging there from 20% to 80% usually takes a little over 30 minutes while I listen to a book on tape or music.

It is just damn hard for this car’s monster range to drop below 20% in daily use unless in a long distance drive.

I've had the same experience off late. Couple of recent charging sessions at 150kw stations and I have barealy been able to exceed 80 or 90 kws. Yes, once because I was charging from above 80% to about 90% is when I got that same message about "your charging station is slowing your charging speed" or whatever. But the very next time at a different 150kw station and I was still seeing the same charging speed. This was at night and with no cars around. Next, yesterday at a 350kw station I was again getting much less at about 175kws or so. Kinda puzzled !

It is just damn hard for this car’s monster range to drop below 20% in daily use unless in a long distance drive.

Very true. I charged my GT to 80% on my home charger for the very first time the other night. I checked the following morning - an eye popping 420 miles! And that's at 80%.

Back