NEMA 14-50 Outlet vs. Home Charging Station: Which to Choose?

Jiminga

Cars
F-150 ICE; '24 Air Pure
Ordered my first EV yesterday, a 2024 Air Pure in Roswell, GA. What do you recommend for charging: install a NEMA 14-50 dedicated 240 outlet in my garage and use the mobile charger, OR install the more powerful (and more expensive) home charging station?

With 14-50 outlet you can charge at max 240v 40A. If you hardwire a charger the breaker needs to be 60A instead of 50A and max you charge is at 240V 48A.

If you install a 14-50 outlet, you have to be careful that it is an industrial-spec receptacle, not the $10 residential grade. Many home fires have started with a 14-50 outlet. Pix are widely available.

If you are considering keeping an EV for the long term, a hardwired charging station will be much safer, and can charge your car much more quickly when you need it to. It's an investment in the future. Plug-in home charging stations are limited to 40 amps max (about 9.6kW or about 35 miles added per hour). Hardwired charging stations can be set up for a maximum of up to 80 amps (19.2kW or about 70 miles added per hour of charging).

Fine quality home charging stations are available for about $500-600. The cost for an electrician to install a 14-50 receptacle won't be appreciably different from the cost to hardwire a charging station at a similar charging speed. Higher speed charging means higher circuit breaker amperage and thicker wires in the installation, with some associated added cost. Your electrician can tell you how large of a charging circuit your existing electrical panel can handle.

I have two charging stations at home. One is set up for 32 amp max charge rate (40 amp circuit breaker), and it's a little slow. The other is set for a 48 amp max charge rate (60 amp breaker) and it's much more comforting to have in case we forget to plug in overnight and need a quick charge in the morning. I wouldn't mind having an 80 amp setup (100 amp breaker), but my main electrical panel is pretty much maxed out already.

Last edited:
Ordered my first EV yesterday, a 2024 Air Pure in Roswell, GA. What do you recommend for charging: install a NEMA 14-50 dedicated 240 outlet in my garage and use the mobile charger, OR install the more powerful (and more expensive) home charging station?
I held off buying the Lucid home charging station until V2H becomes a reality. But I already had a totally reliable, ugly, 40amp (charges at 32amp), non-WiFi, completely stupid (eg. not smart) Siemens charger from prior EVs. Just using scheduled charging in my AT is enough until there's a really good reason to upgrade the electrical and put in a new charger. OTOH, there's a lot of discounted Lucid chargers available on the forum at lower than list prices, probably because of the rewards program.

V2H = Vehicle to Home, bidirectional charging that can power your home during an outage. It's not quite there yet.
AT = Air Touring

Higher speed >10kW home charging can also be useful if your electricity cost is lower after midnight, and you usually have to leave the house early in the morning, so you have a short time window in which to charge your car.

Appreciate the quick replies. While the charging issue may seem elementary, it is nevertheless critically important for a new EV driver like me to comprehend, process, then decide what's safest and most efficient. Haven't even taken possession of the 2024 Air Pure yet...went with an 18 month lease for my initial "dip" into EV waters...slated to pick it up August 28.

Appreciate the quick replies. While the charging issue may seem elementary, it is nevertheless critically important for a new EV driver like me to comprehend, process, then decide what's safest and most efficient. Haven't even taken possession of the 2024 Air Pure yet...went with an 18 month lease for my initial "dip" into EV waters...slated to pick it up August 28.
Charging in general isn't elementary. Much more nuanced than filling a car with gas. But after a while it becomes reasonable and familiar.

I also picked up my air pure from Roswell GA last week. I already have Tesla charger so I purchased Tesla tap mini. I think you get a $1000 credit from Lucid to purchase your charger. I can refer you to my electrician who installed my charger. If you want use the existing outlet you may still want make sure the receptacle is high quality.

This all depends on your situation. Do you own your own home? Do you plan on moving in a few years? Do you own more than 1 EVs? Bidirectional charging is not available yet and I wouldn’t count on it being available anytime soon.

I have 2 EVs. My air is charging on a NEMA outlet. I don’t need anything faster than the mobile charger as car is always fully charged overnight. If I forget to charge and need to charge up quick, then I head over to EA.

I’m also using an existing 14-30 outlet with the mobile charger right now until V2H is implemented. No point paying for the charging station and a panel upgrade that only does the same thing at the moment … which is provide an 80% charged car in the morning. Keep in mind that a 14-30 won’t actually do it if you have SOC lower than about 40% though so a 14-50 is actually more ideal for those that run to a lower SOC before plugging in.

So … if you’re paying for a new outlet, 14-50 is better than 14-30.

I’m also using an existing 14-30 outlet with the mobile charger right now until V2H is implemented.

So … if you’re paying for a new outlet, 14-50 is better than 14-30.
Great advice. 14-30s are the electric dryer standard receptacle. Only 24 amps off charging. 14-50s are the standard for as stoves, ranges, mig welders, plasma torches. Can handle 40 amps. Installation cost the same, parts cost slightly more.

I also picked up my air pure from Roswell GA last week. I already have Tesla charger so I purchased Tesla tap mini. I think you get a $1000 credit from Lucid to purchase your charger. I can refer you to my electrician who installed my charger. If you want use the existing outlet you may still want make sure the receptacle is high quality.
Yes, would appreciate contact info for the electrician you used in the metro ATL area. I'm in Lawrenceville. Vikings fan?

I am in Cumming. If you foresee owning other EVs in future then installing a charger makes sense.
I spent most of my life in MN. So yes I am a long-suffering Vikings fan. We moved to GA last summer and love it here.
We are a sports-obsessed family. If the Falcons are not playing the Vikings we support the Falcons.

All,
Hopefully you will not mind a Tesla owner adding to this post. Before I purchased my Y in 2/22 I had a NEMA 14-50 plug installed with a 50 Amp breaker. I charged at 32 amps with this setup. Charging from 20% to 80% took approximately 6 hours. Would start charging at 7PM and be completed by 1AM or a little later. The reason for this timing has to do with the program we have with our electricity provider. In April of this year I upgraded to the Tesla wall charger which provides up to 60 amps. Had an electrician install the wall charger with a 60 amp breaker and now I can charge at 48 amps. My charging time at night has been reduced by 25%.

All,
Hopefully you will not mind a Tesla owner adding to this post. Before I purchased my Y in 2/22 I had a NEMA 14-50 plug installed with a 50 Amp breaker. I charged at 32 amps with this setup. Charging from 20% to 80% took approximately 6 hours. Would start charging at 7PM and be completed by 1AM or a little later. The reason for this timing has to do with the program we have with our electricity provider. In April of this year I upgraded to the Tesla wall charger which provides up to 60 amps. Had an electrician install the wall charger with a 60 amp breaker and now I can charge at 48 amps. My charging time at night has been reduced by 25%.
This can make a big difference if your electricity becomes relatively inexpensive at say midnight, and you usually need to drive to work at 7am.

I currently use a NEMA 14-50. It charges 40-45 miles per hour - about 9 to 10 kWh. I have it connected to a 50amps breaker. I do have a home charger on order since July 19 but no updates from Lucid on when I will get it. I am quite happy with 14-50 so far and I will make a call to keep ot sell the home charger once I get it.

Back