NACS Megathread

Stellantis has no EVs in the US market.
True but it might be a good indicator of how it can affect EV Charging standards even though it sells none right now.

That's because Biden's EV goal is 50% by 2030 and those non-ev car companies might jump on the bandwagon in the future.

Lucid to adopt Tesla standard in 2025

Who are the last remaining holdouts on Tesla's charging standard

Lucid Motors finally hopped on the Tesla charger wave. In 2025, its electric vehicles will be able to charge at the Tesla Supercharger network by using an adapter, and future vehicles will come fitted with Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS).

“We believe that a unified charging standard, backed by the nationwide rollout of future-ready higher-voltage charging stations, will be a critical step in empowering American consumers to adopt electric vehicles,” Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson said.
How about charging speed of Lucid on Tesla superchargers? will it be 250-350 or slower? [current cars using adapter]

How about charging speed of Lucid on Tesla superchargers? will it be 250-350 or slower? [current cars using adapter]
If you go back and look at many of the earlier posts on this thread, you'll see that charging speeds on the current Supercharger network will be limited to 50 kw. This is due to the low voltage of Tesla's chargers.

If they ever get around to shipping 1000v chargers, then we would see speeds more in the range of 200-350 kw. But only on those 1000v chargers. It will likely be many many years before most of the charging stations are upgraded to that voltage. If ever.

50 kw on gen 3 superchargers, 350 kw(?) on v4.
V4 stalls WITH V4 cabinet, that is the main distinction. V4 stalls with V3 cabinets will still cap out at 50 kw

This video is a good glimpse of what our future may entail. It shows the V4 charger and their charging station setup.

1) Has magic dock for ccs connection
2) advertises up to 600a/350 kw
3) has a credit card reader
4) 10ft plus cable to reach front lucid

So I think Tesla is slowly putting out these V4 chargers but as of yet not installing the V4 cabinetry required to hit the full 350KW but looks like Lucid owners may soon have a different option once they install V4 cabinets to power the dispensaries.

Is there any upgrade possible to current cars that can achieve full charging rate on V3 Tesla chargers which are plentiful at present time
Nothing has been publicized thus far, but lucid might want to do a system analogue to the taycan. This is all speculation.

Nothing has been publicized thus far, but lucid might want to do a system analogue to the taycan. This is all speculation.
Even if they were to do this, it is doubtful it will ever come to current cars. Maybe Gravity will have such capability. Or the first Airs that ship with NACS. Our CCS cars with an adapter will likely always be limited to 50 kW.

Even if they were to do this, it is doubtful it will ever come to current cars. Maybe Gravity will have such capability. Or the first Airs that ship with NACS. Our CCS cars with an adapter will likely always be limited to 50 kW.
Yes, unless they make a new wunderbox retrofit which I find highly unlikely.

I asked Eric Bach about this at the Gravity reveal. Lucid is still thinking about increasing the power of the DC to DC boost but there is no ideal solution. Adding a bigger DC-DC boost adds weight and increases cooling requirements. Weight that you always carry that will decrease efficiency. The industry is moving to 1000V and this boost is not needed in the future. Tesla has told Lucid that they will upgrade their network to 1000V. The problem is that Lucid does not trust the dates that Tesla has provided. That is why the decision has not been made yet.

I asked Eric Bach about this at the Gravity reveal. Lucid is still thinking about increasing the power of the DC to DC boost but there is no ideal solution. Adding a bigger DC-DC boost adds weight and increases cooling requirements. Weight that you always carry that will decrease efficiency. The industry is moving to 1000V and this boost is not needed in the future. Tesla has told Lucid that they will upgrade their network to 1000V. The problem is that Lucid does not trust the dates that Tesla has provided. That is why the decision has not been made yet.
It is probably in Tesla best interest to delay upgrading to 1000V....I wouldn't trust Tesla. They don't have the need for 1000V and want to minimize the advantage Hyundai/Porsche/Lucid has. They will probably do a token upgrage just to say look we did....maybe a 100-200 chargers all over the country.

Elon Musk has shown again and again, that he cares about the future of EVs and will do what he can help... if it furthers the interest of Tesla or disadvantages his competitors! 😓

The less we Lucid owners have to rely on Tesla for anything, the better. After eight years of owning Teslas and seeing features we paid for removed, the inability to reach real people to get paperwork issues and the like sorted out, and seeing endless hype about FSD never fulfilled, I have developed a very cynical attitude toward that company.

I definitely think Lucid should adopt the NACS standard, as without it many buyers will be leery of Lucid. However, the times a Lucid driver -- at least one with home charging available -- will be dependent on a Tesla Supercharger will be relatively few. For starters, the vast majority of driving for the most drivers is local. For road trips, the Electrify America network is growing and finally showing some improvement and thus can be used on many road trips for fast charging. This means that in many cases a Tesla Supercharger would only be needed in a pinch. If charging is slow for a Lucid at a Tesla Supercharger, it should be a rare inconvenience for most drivers. I do not think adding weight and cooling complexity to a Lucid is a fair trade for such a relatively minor and infrequent issue.

Well, I knew the Lucid team was smart. Glad they are some of the few who know not to trust Elon and his dates.

I think the bulk of the Supercharger network will be upgraded to 1000v when it makes sense for Tesla. Not a day sooner.

Back