NACS Megathread

It looks like the Tesla 1000V is not in a hurry anytime soon because today's expected 1000V Cybertruck is actually only 250kW max with the first deliveries:

screenshot-2023-11-30-at-4-31-39%E2%80%AFpm-png.995141

So I just watched top gear review and they are saying both Lars and Franz designers of Cybertruck from Tesla the truck will take the full 350KW I believe this would imply then the car is actually a 900V plus architecture but that does contradict the presentation. If true this should then be Tesla first 350KW plus car on another noted they added seats to sit in frunk, and 90 degree opening doors.

So I just watched top gear review and they are saying both Lars and Franz designers of Cybertruck from Tesla the truck will take the full 350KW I believe this would imply then the car is actually a 900V plus architecture but that does contradict the presentation. If true this should then be Tesla first 350KW plus car on another noted they added seats to sit in frunk, and 90 degree opening doors.
You do realize that your OWN Lucid Air has 350kw charging speed, right?

Now let’s say it could take the full 350KW if you get a ccs adapter will it take electrify America 350 KW ?

Now let’s say it could take the full 350KW if you get a ccs adapter will it take electrify America 350 KW ?
I believe CCS Combo 1 adapter is rated up to 150kW. I have seen slightly higher up to 168kW when using it back in a day. At 350kW continuous the heat would probably melt it.

I think most issues folks are having with EA is the authorization payment. I think a great feature would be in the EA app to allow users to preregister their cars by entering their VIN numbers and payments, so all they have to do is plug in and everything happens behind the scenes. I never had a problem with charging my Pure at the EA and even my Tesla using CCS adapter and using the app to initiate charging. On the other hand I saw too many people struggling with connecting, disconnecting, authorizing payments, communicating with vehicle issues. All these just creates lines at the charging stations.

Tesla is not known for underselling its specs. If it were 350, they would have announced 350, especially since they already delivered 10. They didn’t, because at present the CyberTruck cannot handle it.

IMG_5855.jpeg

It does appear this is officially 800 KW architecture which means Tesla will support 800KW architecture vehicles Like their new Cybertruck and of course Rivian and Lucid.
It’s great to see the progress. I do believe my opinion what was said at the reveal was just describing current conditions. What they should have said is potential max charge is 350KW once Tesla V4 charger is completely released

Tesla is not known for underselling its specs. If it were 350, they would have announced 350, especially since they already delivered 10. They didn’t, because at present the CyberTruck cannot handle it.

View attachment 16779
They should include
V2-V3 charge max 250KW
V4 - 350 KW (not yet release)
They did a very poor job on reveal but I verify Lars, Franz who work direct for Tesla said 350KW and then Marques Browlee world renowned YouTuber also said 800v architecture

View attachment 16779
Also, stolen from a Tesla forum: “136 miles out of 340 is 40%. Adding 40% in 15 minutes is not indicative of a great charging curve or c-rate. Pretty much every other battery type Tesla offers adds 50% in 15 minutes. Heck, even my Model 3 RWD standard range adds 50% or 136 miles in 15 minutes, and it’s one of the slowest charging Tesla models.

When calculating gas savings, the Tesla website uses 42.9 kWh / 100 miles for the Cybertruck AWD, meaning that’s how much power it pulls from the wall to go 100 miles. Multiply by ~88.8% to account for charging losses (that’s the factor used for Model 3 on their website), and then by 340 rated miles, and we can guess that the Cybertruck AWD has a roughly 129.5 kWh battery. Multiply by 95.5% to get a usable capacity of 123.7 kWh. Multiply that by 40% and we can estimate that the Cybertruck added 49.5 kWh in 15 minutes, meaning average charging power was 198 kW. If peak is 250 kW, that means it might have already slowed down to around 146 kW after only 15 minutes, assuming a fairly linear drop. Ain’t no flat 250 kW charging curve happening here.”

Maybe one last note in the Cybertruck key note it says 48V low voltage and 800v architecture so Elon did mention it.

IMG_2296.jpeg

So actually this made me wonder another thing. In the US or world is there not 1 350KW or 800V, NACS charger ?

So actually this made me wonder another thing. In the US or world is there not 1 350KW or 800V, NACS charger ?
No to the best of my knowledge, no. That's why this whole V4 rollout is all theoretical since no one has seen a 1000v NACS charger.

Okay make sense. Can I ask one more question can I an 800V architecture be limited to 250 KW or maxed out with no other capability even if a 1000v charger exists?
I believe the formula is :
P = IV
So if V is 400v. And power is 250KW. Then yah voltage is directly related to power. So higher voltage enables higher output. Now what I read In more depth is actually CT is 4 200V modules connected in series but also with a switch if higher current detected it can switch to parallel. So this to me would be one possible way it could be max 250KW but also serve 350KW. Yeah sorry to keep going on this just get excited about this stuff and or obsessed

Okay make sense. Can I ask one more question can I an 800V architecture be limited to 250 KW or maxed out with no other capability even if a 1000v charger exists?
I believe the formula is :
P = IV
So if V is 400v. And power is 250KW. Then yah voltage is directly related to power. So higher voltage enables higher output. Now what I read In more depth is actually CT is 4 200V modules connected in series but also with a switch if higher current detected it can switch to parallel. So this to me would be one possible way it could be max 250KW but also serve 350KW. Yeah sorry to keep going on this just get excited about this stuff and or obsessed

800-volt charging is not to be confused with 800-volt vehicle architectures—permitting motors, inverters, and other core components to run at higher voltage. That offers a different set of efficiency, performance, and weight-saving advantages, especially in tandem with high-voltage charging.

Although an 800-volt architecture helps maximize all those benefits, it isn’t necessary to reap what matters the most right now to a number of EV shoppers looking at road-trip viability—and how quickly they might get electrons into position in the battery pack's cells.”

Yes, it’s theoretically possible to get 350kW if Tesla eventually builds 1000V stations. Time will tell.

Back