NACS Megathread

Now that begs for a question. What happens when you plug in both. For example tesla NACS supercharger and Rangexchange at once. Hopefully they will put logic to prevent that or make the wounderbox smart enough to manage current from both.
The designer can have a few solutions:

1. Charge port can only be opened one at a time and not both.
2. If both are opened at the same time, it's possible to design to use the input power from both. People saw the Tesla Semi using 2 different Supercharger stalls at the same time, combined in an exterior combination box.

The designer can have a few solutions:

1. Charge port can only be opened one at a time and not both.
2. If both are opened at the same time, it's possible to design to use the input power from both. People saw the Tesla Semi using 2 different Supercharger stalls at the same time, combined in an exterior combination box.
This has already been done on the Porsche Taycan and basically every laptop with USB-c charging, the charge starting has to be initiated anyways via a handshake.
I think the vehicle will likely only allow for one handshake at a time so even if something like the charge port door is left open or just missing, plugging in both sides results in only one port actually completing the handshake and charging the vehicle, the impact to charge from both sides when a single side can hit the max charge rate will be unnecessary additional complication and cost.

Seems the Gravity will have both CCS and NACS ports. I think that's a great solution. Does anyone hear if the Air will go the same way for 2025+?

There have been concerns about whether Tesla 1000V is real or fictional, but Tesla has implemented 1000VDC Megachargers for its Semi trucks for quite some time. Here's the badge:

DC Output:
375kW
0-1000V
465A

Screenshot-2023-07-31-at-9.45.57-AM.jpg

There have been concerns about whether Tesla 1000V is real or fictional, but Tesla has implemented 1000VDC Megachargers for its Semi trucks for quite some time. Here's the badge:

DC Output:
375kW
0-1000V
465A

Screenshot-2023-07-31-at-9.45.57-AM.jpg

This is not the same as an actual V4 charger capable of 1000 volts

Huh?

Guys, I'm getting whiplash here.
Single port. Peter was unclear when he meant to say that the prototype had two ports for testing purposes but the production vehicle will have only one.

Single port. Peter was unclear when he meant to say that the prototype had two ports for testing purposes but the production vehicle will have only one.

So where's this port going to be? If behind the front wheel well, we'll be at the mercy of Tesla's schedule for installing longer charge cables. Good luck trying to straddle two parking spaces at a Supercharger station.

So where's this port going to be? If behind the front wheel well, we'll be at the mercy of Tesla's schedule for installing longer charge cables. Good luck trying to straddle two parking spaces at a Supercharger station.
Unknown, but if I had to guess I would think it would be at the rear of the vehicle.

It's amazing how quickly this confusion about charging ports spread across the internet. There were YouTube videos, Reddit threads, and articles in Teslerati, InsideEVs, Electric Vehicles, AutoEvolution, and several others reporting dual charge ports, either as a certainty or a possibility.

The good news is that so many eyes are on Lucid and the Gravity.

The bad news with such a communication stumble is that so many eyes are on Lucid and the Gravity.

It's amazing how quickly this confusion about charging ports spread across the internet. There were YouTube videos, Reddit threads, and articles in Teslerati, InsideEVs, Electric Vehicles, AutoEvolution, and several others reporting dual charge ports, either as a certainty or a possibility.

The good news is that so many eyes are on Lucid and the Gravity.

The bad news with such a communication stumble is that so many eyes are on Lucid and the Gravity.
Usually a company would have a public relations department to clear up the confusion and straighten out media outlets.

Otherwise, the media would rely on a random un-credential X message.

Usually a company would have a public relations department to clear up the confusion and straighten out media outlets.

Otherwise, the media would rely on a random un-credential X message.

?

I think Lucid does have a press and external communications function. It's Tesla that no longer does.

I’ve done it in my rivian. It’s a little awkward, you get a lot of stares, but as long as the station isn’t packed, it’s not a huge deal. Definitely would be ideal if it was driver rear or passenger front.

I’ve done it in my rivian. It’s a little awkward, you get a lot of stares, but as long as the station isn’t packed, it’s not a huge deal. Definitely would be ideal if it was driver rear or passenger front.

Many of the Tesla Supercharger locations on the east coast aren't as large as some on the west coast. When we take our Tesla over to Miami we have to recharge for the trip home, and we usually have a wait to get a single space. Waiting to get a double space could take a very long time, and then tying up two spaces would probably result in a Miami-style encounter I would rather avoid.

Aww... man. The dual CCS/NACS charging ports was genius. Too bad they couldn't incorporate that into the production models.
I get why they don't want to do two ports for production. It's another point of complication. Another point of failure. Another potential service burden.

But it was a cool idea.

I get why they don't want to do two ports for production. It's another point of complication. Another point of failure. Another potential service burden.

But it was a cool idea.
Also an adapter is cheaper and easier

Back