NACS Megathread

Kinda crazy to think of being an unknown test dummy for 900+ amps. Not a good idea to try the wet towel trick on the handle. The little cable probably got hot pretty quick

Kinda crazy to think of being an unknown test dummy for 900+ amps. Not a good idea to try the wet towel trick on the handle. The little cable probably got hot pretty quick
I’m assuming they tested it internally before opening up the taps to the public

The Gravity prototype is seen with both CCS1 at the original place behind the left front tire and NACS behind the back left tire areas (just like a Tesla port location.)

The Gravity prototype is seen with both CCS1 at the original place behind the left front tire and NACS behind the back left tire areas (just like a Tesla port location.)

This was confirmed by Peter yesterday that Gravity will ship with both😀. Very smart to not just trust one plug!

This was confirmed by Peter yesterday that Gravity will ship with both😀. Very smart to not just trust one plug!
As well as for practicality, it'll make for positive press - the only EV with both.

I really like the idea of not having to use an adapter. This is excellent news.

The rear NACS port location matches Tesla but it also is near the center of the battery pack which would be good for split pack charging on 400V NACS. Any word from the event on increased Wunderbox boost or split pack for 400-500V charging?

The rear NACS port location matches Tesla but it also is near the center of the battery pack which would be good for split pack charging on 400V NACS. Any word from the event on increased Wunderbox boost or split pack for 400-500V charging?
Peter said they have a high voltage booster that they just installed to test

Now that begs for a question. What happens when you plug in both. For example tesla NACS supercharger and Rangexchange at once. Hopefully they will put logic to prevent that or make the wounderbox smart enough to manage current from both.

I've heard from a forum member that the Gravity charges on V3 SC's at 250 kWh, which would imply 400v NACS charging!

Now that begs for a question. What happens when you plug in both. For example tesla NACS supercharger and Rangexchange at once. Hopefully they will put logic to prevent that or make the wounderbox smart enough to manage current from both.
350 x 2 = 700! 🤣

After a recent road trip fraught with Electrify America issues, I was developing doubts about replacing our Honda Odyssey with a Gravity. Even though I knew the NACS plug was coming, I was still worried about adapters and short Tesla charging cables.

This dual port solution puts those issues to rest.

Now the only worry is whether Musk will play fair with opening up Superchargers to his arch nemesis Peter Rawlinson. I say "only" worry . . . it's actually a huge worry.

My take away from yesterday's event was that Peter pointed out that the prototype on display had the two ports. I don't recall him saying was that way in the production Gravity configuration? Maybe someone can review the videos of the first Gravity coming off the line? I concur that he did mention voltage boosting is needed if using the current Tesla network.

Wouldn't NACS only eliminate access to faster CCS? If so, I'd prefer the CCS with NACS adapter to get the best of both worlds.

My take away from yesterday's event was that Peter pointed out that the prototype on display had the two ports. I don't recall him saying was that way in the production Gravity configuration? Maybe someone can review the videos of the first Gravity coming off the line? I concur that he did mention voltage boosting is needed if using the current Tesla network.

Wouldn't NACS only eliminate access to faster CCS? If so, I'd prefer the CCS with NACS adapter to get the best of both worlds.
He made mention of the voltage booster as being world class \ state of the art just after saying the Gravity would have both ports. He then went onto say that he had just been informed by the team that they had got it to fit in (or something along those lines) in one of the prototypes on Saturday evening.

AFAIK, adapters won't make any difference in the charging speed. It's the internal converters that should take care of working with 400 or 800V chargers. I heard that the cybertruck and GM vehicles have ways to split the battery pack for lower voltage chargers. (800V = 2x400). Alternately, others use DC to DC converters. Not sure how this will be done in Gravity

As well as for practicality, it'll make for positive press - the only EV with both.
Actually, I thought there was 2 plug options for the Nissan Ariya in Japan --- one being Chademo and I dont' remember what the other one was but I don't think it was CCS. BUT the USA only got CCS.

Peter said they have a high voltage booster that they just installed to test
It's a wonderful idea, and I love it. There is no need for adapters and no need to take 2 Tesla Supercharger stalls!

AFAIK, adapters won't make any difference in the charging speed. It's the internal converters that should take care of working with 400 or 800V chargers. I heard that the cybertruck and GM vehicles have ways to split the battery pack for lower voltage chargers. (800V = 2x400). Alternately, others use DC to DC converters. Not sure how this will be done in Gravity

At this stage of inadequate numbers of chargers, getting access to more is a priority. Speed is a bonus prize for the future once the very basic needs of access are addressed.

Back