NACS Megathread

I get why they don't want to do two ports for production. It's another point of complication. Another point of failure. Another potential service burden.

But it was a cool idea.
Also an adapter is cheaper and easie
Maybe I am thick?

Don’t the newer Tesla chargers have the “Magic Dock” with the NACS adapter in the doc?
Unbelievable Magic Dock at Tesla Supercharger | IONIQ 5 Experience

Or you could buy the Lectron on Amazon? (It was $150, now $250)
r few do not many... If I didn't get free charging at ea I would buy the lectron, but they only support the tesla hi e charger not the super fast.. Per the website..

Maybe I am thick?

Don’t the newer Tesla chargers have the “Magic Dock” with the NACS adapter in the doc?
Unbelievable Magic Dock at Tesla Supercharger | IONIQ 5 Experience

Or you could buy the Lectron on Amazon? (It was $150, now $250)

It's true that NACS will add charging options for many EV drivers but, at least initially, it will come at the cost of even more confusion.

Right now EV drivers of CCS cars are plagued by inaccurate information about charging locations. Is the site actually operating? How many plugs are working? Are charging slots currently open? If not, how long is the wait? Many people have found that neither their car's software nor even the apps of the charging provider give accurate answers to these questions. As a result many drivers resort to things such as PlugShare, where users report their recent experience at a location -- which can also be misleading. (It takes me back a half century to when CB radios were used during the gas crisis of the 1970's for drivers to report to each other where gas was obtainable.)

With NACS, drivers cannot just assume all they need to do is find a Tesla Supercharger. They will need to know which ones are open to NACS users. Which ones will charge their car brand at reasonable speed? Which ones have the longer cable to reach their charge port? Will Lucid's software tell us that? Will a Tesla app tell us that? Will it mean turning to Plugshare?

We still have a very, very long way to go in this country to get to seamless EV charging on road trips.

It's true that NACS will add charging options for many EV drivers but, at least initially, it will come at the cost of even more confusion.

Right now EV drivers of CCS cars are plagued by inaccurate information about charging locations. Is the site actually operating? How many plugs are working? Are charging slots currently open? If not, how long is the wait? Many people have found that neither their car's software nor even the apps of the charging provider give accurate answers to these questions. As a result many drivers resort to things such as PlugShare, where users report their recent experience at a location -- which can also be misleading. (It takes me back a half century to when CB radios were used during the gas crisis of the 1970's for drivers to report to each other where gas was obtainable.)

With NACS, drivers cannot just assume all they need to do is find a Tesla Supercharger. They will need to know which ones are open to NACS users. Which ones will charge their car brand at reasonable speed? Which ones have the longer cable to reach their charge port? Will Lucid's software tell us that? Will a Tesla app tell us that? Will it mean turning to Plugshare?

We still have a very, very long way to go in this country to get to seamless EV charging on road trips.
You can download Tesla app on your phone and look at the menu "Charge your other EV" and it would show you which one can work with a CCS1 car with Magic Dock without the need of waiting for Lucid to get the fleet access.

It shows how many stalls available and which ones are broken.

The issue is there are very few. There only 4 stations in the whole state of California and they are all up in the North only.

Ford and Rivian have incorporated eligible Tesla Supercharger availability (V3 and 4) in their built-in navigation maps so I expect Lucid will do the same when the fleet access will be granted.

It's true that drivers don't know which Supercharger station has short or long cable by looking at their maps right now. But that's irrelevant if the station is empty. However, if there's only one stall available, that's when the information of short or long cable is important because current Lucid charge port requires either long cable or 2 empty slots.

You can download Tesla app on your phone and look at the menu "Charge your other EV" and it would show you which one can work with a CCS1 car with Magic Dock without the need of waiting for Lucid to get the fleet access.

It shows how many stalls available and which ones are broken.

The issue is there are very few. There only 4 stations in the whole state of California and they are all up in the North only.

Ford and Rivian have incorporated eligible Tesla Supercharger availability (V3 and 4) in their built-in navigation maps so I expect Lucid will do the same when the fleet access will be granted.

It's true that drivers don't know which Supercharger station has short or long cable by looking at their maps right now. But that's irrelevant if the station is empty. However, if there's only one stall available, that's when the information of short or long cable is important because current Lucid charge port requires either long cable or 2 empty slots.

If the Supercharger location doesn't have the longer cables, not only do you have to know if at least two stalls are open, but you also have to know if they're adjacent -- and you have to get there while they're both free.

The larger issues remain, however. If you're looking to charge an EV -- even a Tesla -- you have to use a location that is compatible with your car. In most cases, you have to have an app loaded on your phone and an account established for whichever brand of charger you want to use.

And, in the majority of cases, if it's raining you're going to be standing in the rain while you're trying to get a charge started.

Part of the reason I'm obsessing over these issues is that it's been nine years since we bought our first EV, and the charging situation hasn't improved much in that time.

With our 2015 Tesla, the issue was finding a Supercharger on a trip at a time when there were fewer around, and the car didn't have as much range as now. However, the stations did usually work, and there were seldom lines.

Tesla rapidly expanded their network, though, and finding a Supercharger got easier. However, soon we began to encounter waiting lines at more and more charging stops.

Then we bought the Lucid and swallowed too much of the hype about CCS and Electrify America in particular. What we recently experienced in almost a dozen charging stops on a recent road trip was every single stop but one (at a ChargePoint charger) plagued by inoperative stations, repeated authentication errors, and premature charge terminations. Some of these charging stops took over an hour because of the problems.

I have become very cynical about the determination in this country to make EVs viable for road tripping. The notion that the best we have been able to do comes from the likes of Elon Musk is almost nauseating.

Friends on a road trip just sent this from about 20 miles south of Macon, GA along I-75. About 60 yards from a Buc-ee's pit stop. No rain protection. 400 kW.

Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 1.18.35 PM.webp

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I read that this 2-cable 400kW station can allocate power to either cable in multiples of 50kW, for a total between the two cables of 400kW max. A 400kW 'balanced' station.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I read that this 2-cable 400kW station can allocate power to either cable in multiples of 50kW, for a total between the two cables of 400kW max. A 400kW 'balanced' station.
That’s correct, they’re balanced.

Back