• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Model S Plaid vs Vs Air Touring

Track pack changes the entire driving characteristics of the plaid.

We have a 2021 Model S Plaid (our second Model S after at 2015 P90D) and a 2022 Lucid Air Dream Performance. We've put roughly 30,000 miles on the Plaid and the Air. Our experience thus far:

The Plaid was delivered with more initial quality issues than the Air.

The first year of living with the Air's software was plagued with problems that the Model S didn't have, but UX 2.0 from October 2022 onward largely corrected that. At this point, we prefer the Lucid's combination of screen controls and manual controls to the screen-heavy control suite of the Tesla.

The Lucid blows the Tesla out of the water in terms of interior space, comfort, features, and luxury materials.

The Lucid is a tick slower under hard acceleration, but its front end stays much better planted. The Tesla front end goes so loose under hard acceleration that its faster putative 0-60 time is useless.

The Air is quieter, handles better, and has a much more compliant ride.

By 10,000 miles, the Tesla had developed body squeaks and groans. The Lucid remains rock solid.

We hate the Tesla yoke, and a sizable plug of its covering has broken off the upper left corner. This problem is occurring with many owners on both the yoke and steering wheels of newer models. At this time, Tesla has no replacement in stock and has told us to check in "sometime" in the first quarter of 2024. Meantime we're driving a $130,000 car with some of the steering device missing.

This is our last Tesla. We're going to order a Lucid Gravity to replace our 2018 Honda Odyssey the moment orders open up.

If your budget is $75k, would you choose a Lucid Pure or a Model S?
I would get the Lucid. Looks better, better quality, has buttons, drives better. It has more than enough power than you need. The model S is a decade old design. I used FSD a couple of times and hated it. Don’t care much for autonomous driving. Don’t trust it. Don’t mind spending 10k more to get a Lucid which is a better care except for FSD and charging network.

New Model S LR or used Touring or possibly Grand Touring. Of course you could get a used Model S LR even cheaper. :)
I would say that the cheapest Lucid Air Pure RWD is far superior to Model S LR. Better interior, not just cameras but has parking sensors and radar. I would add DDp for the Lidar and safety.

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
I would say that the cheapest Lucid Air Pure RWD is far superior to Model S LR. Better interior, not just cameras but has parking sensors and radar. I would add DDp for the Lidar and safety.
Far superior is a stretch. Model S at 75k vs a Pure RWD, I'd say the S gives you more bang for your buck. Like everyone says, depends on the person and what they're looking for.

Far superior is a stretch. Model S at 75k vs a Pure RWD, I'd say the S gives you more bang for your buck. Like everyone says, depends on the person and what they're looking for.
Sure. One size does not fit all. If you do not use any self-driving feature and you don't need as many real buttons, Model S LR is good value for the money.

Sure. One size does not fit all. If you do not use any self-driving feature and you don't need as many real buttons, Model S LR is good value for the money.
You mean IF you use self driving features?

Apples and oranges 250 K versus 15 K upgrade
Decade old design vs an engineering marevel. The fact that they released the Plaid with insufficient brakes and a woke wheel tells it all.....Tesla doesnt care about real handling or safety- buying a Tesla is compromising

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
Apples and oranges 250 K versus 15 K upgrade
You missed the point. You’re comparing a Touring, a midline car, to the top of the line Model S. That’s already very different, hence why focusing on “track” performance would be an unfair comparison, which the video and OP carefully discussed.

But to say that the track pack changes the entire dynamics, while true, is even less relevant. If you want to compare top of the line to top of the line, then do that.

It is an equivalent statement to say the Tesla “is better with the highest cost package” and the Lucid Air “is better with the highest cost package.” Meaningless for this discussion, but equivalent.

You missed the point. You’re comparing a Touring, a midline car, to the top of the line Model S. That’s already very different, hence why focusing on “track” performance would be an unfair comparison, which the video and OP carefully discussed.

But to say that the track pack changes the entire dynamics, while true, is even less relevant. If you want to compare top of the line to top of the line, then do that.

It is an equivalent statement to say the Tesla “is better with the highest cost package” and the Lucid Air “is better with the highest cost package.” Meaningless for this discussion, but equivalent.
Yeah, I didn’t miss the point, but we’ll just move on from there and not take up anymore of the thread. 👍

I totally disagree. No way would I choose a Lucid Air Pure over a Model S LR, nor is it far superior. But, I know everyone is different and that is my opinion.

I get it if you said Touring or Grand Touring. I find it funny when people say that Lucid blows away a refresh Model S. I think the Model S is still a great looking car too, but there are not many in Ohio compared to West Coast and other areas. For the price, the Model S LR is a great deal - even the Plaid is. Don’t get me wrong though, as I love the Lucid Grand Touring, Touring and DE too. I will end my conversation here, as this is a Lucid forum and really dislike the Tesla/Lucid back and forth talk. I just enoy reading about Lucid’s. 🙂

You are asking what I like better, not what's better for you. Nobody here can really answer that. People can merely point out whether any specific feature is better on one or the other but only you can rank them. My brother in law has (had?) an early reservation from when I first told him about Lucid, before they were released. He didn't pull the trigger and when I asked why, he said it was because of DreamDrive vs FSD. Once I took him for a ride in mine, he was far more impressed. But what's best for him isn't what's best for me.

The best thing to do it test drive both. It would be hard to find a Pure on the used market, but not hard to find a Model S on the used market. And one that's still under warranty, especially if it's not showing any significant range loss, might be the most cost effective if you want to keep the cost down. New cars in general don't make the most financial sense given the first year depreciation, compared to how little functional value is lost. But if you get the Tesla, you give up what the Lucid has.

Or you could test drive whichever one is cheaper and see if it meets your needs. There's no reason to spend more if a car already satisfies you. No matter what you get, there will always be something better. As long as you don't find a car lacking, you might be better off not knowing what you are missing. I wouldn't necessarily take my own advice even though I should. But if you want to be rational about it, those are things to consider.

You are asking what I like better, not what's better for you. Nobody here can really answer that. People can merely point out whether any specific feature is better on one or the other but only you can rank them. My brother in law has (had?) an early reservation from when I first told him about Lucid, before they were released. He didn't pull the trigger and when I asked why, he said it was because of DreamDrive vs FSD. Once I took him for a ride in mine, he was far more impressed. But what's best for him isn't what's best for me.

The best thing to do it test drive both. It would be hard to find a Pure on the used market, but not hard to find a Model S on the used market. And one that's still under warranty, especially if it's not showing any significant range loss, might be the most cost effective if you want to keep the cost down. New cars in general don't make the most financial sense given the first year depreciation, compared to how little functional value is lost. But if you get the Tesla, you give up what the Lucid has.

Or you could test drive whichever one is cheaper and see if it meets your needs. There's no reason to spend more if a car already satisfies you. No matter what you get, there will always be something better. As long as you don't find a car lacking, you might be better off not knowing what you are missing. I wouldn't necessarily take my own advice even though I should. But if you want to be rational about it, those are things to consider.
Life is too short to think this much about buying a car.

I've had a Tesla for a decade, just curious what everyone else thinks if the budget is $75k. Basically having to choose the Pure vs S LR.

For me, I sold Model X for the GT. However, still have my model S.

Life is too short to think this much about buying a car.

I've had a Tesla for a decade, just curious what everyone else thinks if the budget is $75k. Basically having to choose the Pure vs S LR.

For me, I sold Model X for the GT. However, still have my model S.
……. another option up the budget 5K and you can get a 2020 Taycan turbo for 80K. Their resale is in the tank.

I would choose Lowest trim Gravity minus Fed credit 7500.

Back