Mobile keys and fobs — still unreliable

I keep having trouble with the key Fob while driving. Everything works opening the car, getting in and driving off. However, if I stop and put my car in park to let someone in or out, I will get an error that the key fob is not available. Then it requires my PIN before I can put it into gear again. Started happening afte4 the 2.0 updates and it is very annoying when it happens.

I keep having trouble with the key Fob while driving. Everything works opening the car, getting in and driving off. However, if I stop and put my car in park to let someone in or out, I will get an error that the key fob is not available. Then it requires my PIN before I can put it into gear again. Started happening afte4 the 2.0 updates and it is very annoying when it happens.
Does it shift in your pocket? Sometimes mine gets hidden under my leg and it blocks the signal.

This happens to me constantly, I'm like wtf, I had the FOB right in my pocket while driving! how can you not notice it
I ignore it though, it's never asked me for PIN but I get the notification very often
Does it shift in your pocket? Sometimes mine gets hidden under my leg and it blocks the signal.
For me, it doesn't shift under my pocket, and I don't know how my leg can be thick enough to block a signal of the FOB when I'm physically inside the car.

This is probably what I will end up doing

Haha, in a parking garage, with no signal and fob battery dead, oops!

That's why I carry the Valet card in my walet
If by “signal” you are referring to call service, such is not needed to use the phone key. It uses Bluetooth, which can be used in airplane mode with Wi-Fi off. However, to use the Lucid app, you will need a signal.

Agreed regarding the reliability of the mobile key. Better in 2.x.x but still far from consistent. Walking in/around the garage my car looks like christmas lights. Constantly opening and closing. It’s now to the point that I try to remember to turn off bluetooth as I don’t want to unnecessarily stress out the failure points on the mirrors and door handles. Out in the wild and walking up the car, I find myself standing there waiting. Waiting for mobile key to work, or the car to wake up so I can open via the app/watch. Like I said, better than before 2.x.x but still inconsistent. When using the fob, does it have a proximity sensor to open the car as you approach (ala Tesla) or do you still need to push buttons? Have never really taken them out of the box.

Both are inconsistent. The mobile key is lazy, as in half the time it won't wake up the car.. The fob is just willful, in that it'll work reliably and unerringly, like a loyal house servant when I'm puttering around in my garage. The car will swing door mirrors, pop door handles open and flash lights all morning, all day, if I want it to.

But drive the car over to a friend's house to show it off for the first time, then thehe fob won't work AT ALL. Or at least not without me looking a little embarrassed and silly, as I click the fob and push on the door handle, a dozen times.

Then again, my Lucid fob is not that different from our Tesla fobs in that regard.

Meaning, just give up on the mobile key? Do you have reason to think the fob will be more reliable if there’s no mobile key?
In my experience the fob is more reliable than the mobile phone key. I have deleted the mobile key and re set up at most updates to see if it improves. I have deleted the mobile key to see if that improves fob performance. On current software I haven’t found much difference with the fob whether or not I have mobile key set up. Fob is much better than it use to be, but still is slow when you approach car from the trunk 5-20 second wait, and I find myself frequently waiting for the handles to reveal for 5-10 seconds.

If by “signal” you are referring to call service, such is not needed to use the phone key. It uses Bluetooth, which can be used in airplane mode with Wi-Fi off.
In my experience the fob is more reliable than the mobile phone key. I have deleted the mobile key and re set up at most updates to see if it improves. I have deleted the mobile key to see if that improves fob performance. On current software I haven’t found much difference with the fob whether or not I have mobile key set up. Fob is much better than it use to be, but still is slow when you approach car from the trunk 5-20 second wait, and I find myself frequently waiting for the handles to reveal for 5-10 seconds.
Agree. I find the fob works better when there is no mobile key to confuse it.

Do Lucid techs monitor this forum? I have to think they must. Clearly a lot of people are having the same bad experiences with the mobile keys and fobs—from random unreliability to total failure—to the extent that some recommend giving up on the mobile key entirely. Information from Lucid would be very welcome. For example:
  • Some believe that the fob becomes more reliable if the mobile key is removed entirely. Perhaps there is some kind of interference between the two. Is this true?
  • Some suggest that the mobile key works very well as long as the car is already “awake” but that it tends to fail when the car is “asleep.” Is this true? Are there different degrees of “sleep”?
  • Most important, is Lucid aware of, and working to fix, this problem? Can it be fixed through software?
It’s a nuisance, and as some have said, embarrassing, to have confusion and unreliability with something as basic as the keys to a $150,000 car.

I do think it's possible that using both at once can be problematic. Shouldn't be, but could be. Like, it's trying to decide which signal to accept, and it's seeing two at once, so it gets confused?
I've been carrying the fob in a faraday pouch 99% of the time I drive the car just to test this very scenario. Sometimes, the phone works flawlessly, but most of the time I stand there looking like I'm stealing the car (btw, awkward when you have others standing around their doors waiting). 90% of those times, taking out the phone and launching the app wakes up the car (though half of those times it takes the annoying 30 sec+ wake up time). On rare occasions, I've had to pull the fob out of the Faraday pouch and click it (which has worked 100% of the time).

(and I also carry the card in my wallet .. just in case)

Anyone that's read my previous posts on the subject knows that I'm not a fan of the FOB as I've accidentally pressed it too many times (there is a definite delay and if I'm using it it's because I've been standing at the car for a minute or more, then I'm a bit impatient and apparently I click it more than twice) .. this leads to setting off the alarm or opening the frunk (ugh!)

I do wish that the mobile key worked as flawlessly as the Tesla one did. For it's many (MANY) flaws that our Model Y had, the phone worked 100% of the time w/o hesitation .. we never used the card (except to set up the phones) and never bought the FOB. If Lucid engineers are listening .. a little reverse engineering might be warranted.

Also, if Lucid is listening .. I strongly encourage the adding of NFC functionality to the "mobile key". In other words as (I believe @Volund) has mentioned in another post, if no Wifi is available and bluetooth is not working for some reason (or you're just standing at your car looking foolishly), a person should be able to use the phone like a Valet Card. 99%+ of newer smartphones are equipped with "Near Field Communication" chips/functionality that can function like the chip in the Valet Card. I've tested my phone (w/ bluetooth off) and when I place my phone on the driver pillar it activates my Apple Pay (which means it has detected a NFC receiver). Seems like a simple add-on. :cool:

I've been carrying the fob in a faraday pouch 99% of the time I drive the car just to test this very scenario. Sometimes, the phone works flawlessly, but most of the time I stand there looking like I'm stealing the car (btw, awkward when you have others standing around their doors waiting). 90% of those times, taking out the phone and launching the app wakes up the car (though half of those times it takes the annoying 30 sec+ wake up time). On rare occasions, I've had to pull the fob out of the Faraday pouch and click it (which has worked 100% of the time).

(and I also carry the card in my wallet .. just in case)

Anyone that's read my previous posts on the subject knows that I'm not a fan of the FOB as I've accidentally pressed it too many times (there is a definite delay and if I'm using it it's because I've been standing at the car for a minute or more, then I'm a bit impatient and apparently I click it more than twice) .. this leads to setting off the alarm or opening the frunk (ugh!)

I do wish that the mobile key worked as flawlessly as the Tesla one did. For it's many (MANY) flaws that our Model Y had, the phone worked 100% of the time w/o hesitation .. we never used the card (except to set up the phones) and never bought the FOB. If Lucid engineers are listening .. a little reverse engineering might be warranted.

Also, if Lucid is listening .. I strongly encourage the adding of NFC functionality to the "mobile key". In other words as (I believe @Volund) has mentioned in another post, if no Wifi is available and bluetooth is not working for some reason (or you're just standing at your car looking foolishly), a person should be able to use the phone like a Valet Card. 99%+ of newer smartphones are equipped with "Near Field Communication" chips/functionality that can function like the chip in the Valet Card. I've tested my phone (w/ bluetooth off) and when I place my phone on the driver pillar it activates my Apple Pay (which means it has detected a NFC receiver). Seems like a simple add-on. :cool:
Apple actually has an API called “Apple Car Key” which is meant to work exactly this way. Not sure if it could be incorporated to work simultaneously with Bluetooth, or if it would require them to not use Bluetooth as well. But I’d love it if they could do both, so you always had a “fail safe” as you say. Would eliminate the need to carry the card around all the time.

I agree with the Tesla. Although it was less reliable in the early days. But they have it pretty much nailed now. Only fails on me once in a long while, and only for a few extra seconds. If I pull my phone out of my pocket, that usually is enough to trigger it.

I have both fob in purse and the mobile key on phone which is on my person at all times. Often I walk up to car and it won't unlock with the phone and fob present. Same with just phone. My husband laughs at me and says I have trust issues every time I walk away from the car at the store. I am afraid it won't lock - after all it didn't unlock when I got in the dang thing! So yah, this is an issue for me too. And I have my phone on me all the time, including when I go out to the garden and the garage - which then wakes up the car as I pass by - super annoying. I hate the fob, it's so slippery - I have dropped it several times, including under the drivers seat which takes several sacrifices to the car gods to get it out along with a ruler and lots of cursing (and I have small hands too- it's just too tight to reach under). My phone accidentally went under the seat once that was fun....NOT. And it always shows my profile and my seat adjustments when my husband and I both get in the car even though he is getting in the drivers side - we both have mobile keys. GRRRR.

If by “signal” you are referring to call service, such is not needed to use the phone key. It uses Bluetooth, which can be used in airplane mode with Wi-Fi off. However, to use the Lucid app, you will need a signal.
I was just referring to the FOB signal, my mobile key barely works, if at all. I Just use the app to unlock when I get there, or have the FOB or valet key with me lol.
But when I'm parked, and sitting in the car, I'll sometimes see, "FOB not detected" and then it goes away, then comes back like 2 or 3 times in a 5 minute period. So it's a little weird there.
As for Mobile key and Bluetooth, I have verified that my car is in-fact connected to Lucid, I can see it as active device when I open my Bluetooth settings, but the car still doesn't recognize me or won't open the doors, even if I press the handle in.
Both are inconsistent. The mobile key is lazy, as in half the time it won't wake up the car.. The fob is just willful, in that it'll work reliably and unerringly, like a loyal house servant when I'm puttering around in my garage. The car will swing door mirrors, pop door handles open and flash lights all morning, all day, if I want it to.

But drive the car over to a friend's house to show it off for the first time, then thehe fob won't work AT ALL. Or at least not without me looking a little embarrassed and silly, as I click the fob and push on the door handle, a dozen times.

Then again, my Lucid fob is not that different from our Tesla fobs in that regard.
Do you guys carry the fob around in your pocket all day? I hang mine up right outside the entrance of my garage and so I grab it on the way out

No. I have it on a lanyard around my neck so nothing is blocking the signal. I’ll even hold it up to the sensor when I get the message to no avail. PIN required.

No. I have it on a lanyard around my neck so nothing is blocking the signal. I’ll even hold it up to the sensor when I get the message to no avail. PIN required.
Wow something’s weird there. Antenna issue? Frank knows that one well (just ask J.).

And it always shows my profile and my seat adjustments when my husband and I both get in the car even though he is getting in the drivers side - we both have mobile keys. GRRRR.
Saw a post that the car sets the profile to the key it detects first so tell your husband to hustle and get in range of the car before you.

I was just referring to the FOB signal, my mobile key barely works, if at all. I Just use the app to unlock when I get there, or have the FOB or valet key with me lol.
But when I'm parked, and sitting in the car, I'll sometimes see, "FOB not detected" and then it goes away, then comes back like 2 or 3 times in a 5 minute period. So it's a little weird there.
As for Mobile key and Bluetooth, I have verified that my car is in-fact connected to Lucid, I can see it as active device when I open my Bluetooth settings, but the car still doesn't recognize me or won't open the doors, even if I press the handle in.

Do you guys carry the fob around in your pocket all day? I hang mine up right outside the entrance of my garage and so I grab it on the way out
Yes, in my pocket all day.

Saw a post that the car sets the profile to the key it detects first so tell your husband to hustle and get in range of the car before you.
This is correct. Also the fob is stronger than your mobile phone, so either one of you needs to leave the fob at home or both of you need to carry it. I had the same issue with my wife heh.

Wow something’s weird there. Antenna issue? Frank knows that one well (just ask J.).
Frank already burned a new Fob and I’m still getting the issue.

Back