Mobile keys and fobs — still unreliable

Gil

Cars
Lucid Air
Even now, when I approach the car with only my mobile phone, or only my fob, it’s touch-and-go whether the car will unlock. Sometimes the mobile key won’t unlock the car even when I take it out of my pocket, wait, and press the handle. I’ve had to unlock the car through the Lucid app a dozen times. I know from these forums that I’m not alone.

Can someone from Lucid shed some light? I hope it’s a software problem, and if so, I hope it’s a priority. Could it be a hardware problem? It‘s pretty fundamental: unlocking the car. It almost makes me wish for the old days, when you’d insert a piece of metal and rotate it.

Meaning, just give up on the mobile key? Do you have reason to think the fob will be more reliable if there’s no mobile key?
I do think it's possible that using both at once can be problematic. Shouldn't be, but could be. Like, it's trying to decide which signal to accept, and it's seeing two at once, so it gets confused?

Even now, when I approach the car with only my mobile phone, or only my fob, it’s touch-and-go whether the car will unlock. Sometimes the mobile key won’t unlock the car even when I take it out of my pocket, wait, and press the handle. I’ve had to unlock the car through the Lucid app a dozen times. I know from these forums that I’m not alone.

Can someone from Lucid shed some light? I hope it’s a software problem, and if so, I hope it’s a priority. Could it be a hardware problem? It‘s pretty fundamental: unlocking the car. It almost makes me wish for the old days, when you’d insert a piece of metal and rotate it.
Do you have the latest software update installed?

...Do you have reason to think the fob will be more reliable if there’s no mobile key?...

I am not sure but from my experience with Tesla, the fob was 100% reliable. When Tesla came out with Model 3 without a fob, using the cell phone app as a key was a mess. Very unreliable until they start selling Model 3 fob and I bought it, which made the reliability 100% again. Tesla mobile is now pretty good but still not 100% as reliable as the fob.

The fob has only one function: to lock/unlock your car. It's designed by Lucid.

Your phone has so many function: texting, talking, filming, gaming and car locking/unlocking... Its operating system is not designed by Lucid, it's done either by Apple or Google. Lucid can write an app but there many things that it must work with the operating system from Apple or Google. And those operating systems can also get an update too which might affect older Lucid's app versions...You might have to tweak the app's settings such as making sure it's always "on" in the background...

Ever since I gave up on Mobile Key, life's been good. The fobs have been 99% reliable for me. I have had to replace batteries at least once even after the 2.0 update.

Mobile Key was okay while I had it setup, but my house just isn't big enough for me to not constantly wake the car just by walking around at home. So I removed it. Never missed it.

Ever since I gave up on Mobile Key, life's been good. The fobs have been 99% reliable for me. I have had to replace batteries at least once even after the 2.0 update.

Mobile Key was okay while I had it setup, but my house just isn't big enough for me to not constantly wake the car just by walking around at home. So I removed it. Never missed it.
Get the key holder that blocks the signal. When you come into your house just put the key in this pouch and the signal to the car will be blocked. Only $10. on Amazon.

TICONN car key and Credit Card signal blocker

Get the key holder that blocks the signal. When you come into your house just put the key in this pouch and the signal to the car will be blocked. Only $10. on Amazon.

TICONN car key and Credit Card signal blocker
Bobby actually gave me his :)

The problem I was having was with the Mobile Key. Not the fob. The fob has been pretty much perfect.

FOB 4 life. Been using it since day, entry/exit locking/unlocking has never been an issue.

Having owned the car for a whopping 2 weeks, the fob has been pretty reliable for me. Haven't tried setting up a mobile key.

Meaning, just give up on the mobile key? Do you have reason to think the fob will be more reliable if there’s no mobile key?
FOB was 100% reliable for me, just didn't want to carry it in my pocket lol.
But FOB detection was good, but sometimes the clicking actions on the fob would not work, the whole double click, single click mess.
The fob itself feels kind of cheap but with no real feedback other than small clicks you can maybe feel with your hand.

But after locking the car with the fob and then realizing I forgot something, I've sat there once double clicking to open the car for like 30 seconds before I just walked up and pushed the handle to recognize me or use valet card.

But I feel your pain with the mobile key, it's unreliable and doesn't work at all for me lol

I have had ~zero issues with the mobile key since 2.0, but the fob has always been literally perfect. I just don't carry it because the mobile key has worked so well.

If the mobile key doesn't work well for you, just carry the fob.

I have used both individually. There are pros and cons
Fob pros: more predictable, especially when approaching the car from behind and wishing to get into the trunk before unlocking. Car doesn’t constantly lock and unlock whenever I visit the garage with my phone in my pocket. Easier to open frunk.
Fob cons: something else to carry.
Mobile key pros: more convenient, more tech forward.
Mobile key cons: sometimes refuses to work initially, until I take my phone out of my pocket or even use the app to unlock. I feel like I look like I’m trying to steal the car.

Once mobile key is perfected more I will use that exclusively and the Apple Watch to access the trunk or frunk. For now, I carry the fob.

I do think it's possible that using both at once can be problematic. Shouldn't be, but could be. Like, it's trying to decide which signal to accept, and it's seeing two at once, so it gets confused?
I use both and haven't seen too many issues but every once in a while, the door handles are slow to open. I have had the "phone key" work when the fob battery was run down and didn't know it.

I have used both individually. There are pros and cons
Fob pros: more predictable, especially when approaching the car from behind and wishing to get into the trunk before unlocking. Car doesn’t constantly lock and unlock whenever I visit the garage with my phone in my pocket. Easier to open frunk.
Fob cons: something else to carry.
Mobile key pros: more convenient, more tech forward.
Mobile key cons: sometimes refuses to work initially, until I take my phone out of my pocket or even use the app to unlock. I feel like I look like I’m trying to steal the car.

Once mobile key is perfected more I will use that exclusively and the Apple Watch to access the trunk or frunk. For now, I carry the fob.
This is probably what I will end up doing
I use both and haven't seen too many issues but every once in a while, the door handles are slow to open. I have had the "phone key" work when the fob battery was run down and didn't know it.
Haha, in a parking garage, with no signal and fob battery dead, oops!

That's why I carry the Valet card in my walet

This is probably what I will end up doing

Haha, in a parking garage, with no signal and fob battery dead, oops!

That's why I carry the Valet card in my wallet
Yeah, I keep the card in my wallet too! ;)

I alternate driving my Air GT and my wife’s Model Y only using the mobile key for both. The Tesla works every time to the point that it set false expectations for how seamless I presumed the Lucid would be. In the grand scheme of things, it is a minor annoyance and I endure it not unlocking 25% of the time. I don’t use keys for anything anymore, so I am all in on the mobile key. Just wish it approached Tesla’s consistency.

I alternate driving my Air GT and my wife’s Model Y only using the mobile key for both. The Tesla works every time to the point that it set false expectations for how seamless I presumed the Lucid would be. In the grand scheme of things, it is a minor annoyance and I endure it not unlocking 25% of the time. I don’t use keys for anything anymore, so I am all in on the mobile key. Just wish it approached Tesla’s consistency.
I'm sure it will over time, for now it's a annoyance for us all

Back