Mobile key is non functional and valet card is completely unreliable

Did anyone tell them? I didn’t because removing the key and adding it back fixed the issue. If it was a mass problem this forum would’ve lit up but seems it’s hit and miss to who it happens to.
Yes I’ve notified as well. They are coming out to check my sandwich cooler and the mobile key next week after I return from vacation.

Did anyone tell them? I didn’t because removing the key and adding it back fixed the issue. If it was a mass problem this forum would’ve lit up but seems it’s hit and miss to who it happens to.
I never had any problems with the mobile key using the updated iOS App.

This is an honest question not meant to criticize, but why are so many people against having the key fob on them? It’s small and weighs almost nothing, and it can be helpful for trouble, resets, etc. I wouldn’t even know if my phone didn’t unlock the car cuz the fob proximity always works for me. Given we know software can be trouble on any vehicle, I just don’t understand the insistence on not having a fob or even worse, wanting to leave the fob in the car.

Given we know software can be trouble on any vehicle, I just don’t understand the insistence on not having a fob . . . .

We're now on our second Tesla and, after seven years, still always use the fob because of the unreliability of the mobile keys. And in our newest 2021 Model S Plaid, even the key fob is sometimes balky. Every couple of weeks it will either not open the car at all, or it will unlock the car but fail to start it. We have to pull out our key card and rub it on B-pillar to open the door and then on the wireless phone charger to start the car.

This spreading reliance on Bluetooth or similar approaches to open and start cars is still way ahead of the reliability of the technology. Even with the most reliable such system we have -- in our 2018 Honda Odyssey -- there are times the key fob requires several tries before the doors will unlock. (Fortunately, that vehicle still has a "start" button on the dash that will crank the car once you manage to get in.)

I wish Lucid could get these remote access issues resolved but, sadly, they are not alone in floundering around with them.

This is an honest question not meant to criticize, but why are so many people against having the key fob on them? It’s small and weighs almost nothing, and it can be helpful for trouble, resets, etc. I wouldn’t even know if my phone didn’t unlock the car cuz the fob proximity always works for me. Given we know software can be trouble on any vehicle, I just don’t understand the insistence on not having a fob or even worse, wanting to leave the fob in the car.
I carry the fob for now, because I have another car for which I have a fob - but I actually have no other keys in my life at present.

I'm with you (maybe because I haven't had a car with a phone key before the Lucid). It actually would feel pretty weird to leave the house without a fob. Strangely though, I view the phone key as a backup in the more likely than it should be event that the fob battery dies :).

I'm with you (maybe because I haven't had a car with a phone key before the Lucid). It actually would feel pretty weird to leave the house without a fob. Strangely though, I view the phone key as a backup in the more likely than it should be event that the fob battery dies :).
But! If the battery dies you can still use the key to get into your car and start it...so who needs that stupid mobile key!?!?!

Well, Considering all the problems and inconsistencies owners have had so far the only safe thing to do is have the phone key, fob and card on you at all times.

After four years of using phone as a key on our model 3, without issue, having to remember a fob is a drag. I don't carry any physical keys.

Well, Considering all the problems and inconsistencies owners have had so far the only safe thing to do is have the phone key, fob and card on you at all times.
I think the opposite may be true. The key card should not present problems, because it only activates at a very short range up against the door pillar. But the fob and phone both trying to compete over who opens the car could very well be the cause of some people's issues here. I would do one or the other. Not both.

But the fob and phone both trying to compete over who opens the car could very well be the cause of some people's issues here. I would do one or the other. Not both.
My service guy reiterated that comment. Use either mobile key or fob. Having both on you confuses the car.

Just a bad experience from my previous fob where the slightest movement would cause the trunk to open. The Lucid fob was fine until I bent over once and triggered something and another time it slid out my shorts while sitting down so just opted for the mobile key.

Interestingly enough, I took the car down for tinting Thursday and left them with the fob. Ever since coming home and using the mobile key again it’s gotten to a point where it’s 50/50 on whether the car locks when walking away and unlocking has become a nightmare probably only working 20% of the time.

I’m over removing the key and adding it back to fix things so given it’s half baked will no doubt go back to the fob. I was coming back from grabbing coffee last night and a couple of people were around the car. I noticed the car was unlocked and that it didn’t lock when walking away so it’s become so unstable it’s a security issue now.

Like a lot of people, I’ve carried keys and wallets most and still do only because I have to not because I want to. They take up chunks of space in pockets, adds unnecessary bulges, and weight.

For wallets, you can get away with less by going minimal or less cash, keys you can get away with less by converting to keypads. Car key fobs have not evolved for twenty plus years and still in the ugly weird wedge shape. As a matter of fact, my BMW fob is now larger than any of previous ones. I want a card or use my phone to unlock my car NOW.

Last edited:
I’m over removing the key and adding it back to fix things so given it’s half baked will no doubt go back to the fob. I was coming back from grabbing coffee last night and a couple of people were around the car. I noticed the car was unlocked and that it didn’t lock when walking away so it’s become so unstable it’s a security issue now.
That happened to me, saw the car was sitting unlocked when I wasn’t near it…but then I remembered my other fob was in my bag in the trunk. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I've only used the fob from day 1 and have never had a problem with locking/unlocking or proximity lock/unlock. Probably why I have had no complaints or frustrations in this area.

After a month of no issues with the mobile key i began experiencing issues recently. Same problem as others. It seemed to happen after a recent software update. I deleted the mobile key and reinstalled it and that seems to have worked. The card key which unlocks the car almost immediately when placed on the drivers side door pillar works well and I wouldn’t leave home without it.

I think this is mostly for those of us who already have no other physical keys/fobs in our lives. It’s actually quite nice to be entirely free of physical keys/fobs. You never have to look for them, you never have to carry them with you, you never have to remember where you put them or worry about losing them. Unfortunately, the mobile key isn’t as reliable as the fob and is subject to changes in behavior every time there’s some sort of uodate.

While waiting on my furniture I’m staying in an apartment and parking in a garage. Lock/unlock more annoying than ever. The fob has been working 100% of the time with a physical press, I still find the proximity functions to be awful. Approaching the car from the rear and trying to open the trunk it is always 10-20 seconds before the car wakes up and allows the trunk to open. Car doesn’t always lock and is inconsistent as to when it might lock. When I approach and it unlocks exactly when I want like every other car, with the Lucid I feel like I just won the lottery. I’ve been manually locking, because in the garage it is very quickly hard to see if the car locked on its own. Annoying, but is the norm with this car. Other than 2 tires with sidewall damage, the car has been great on the road. Just over 7500 miles.

Regarding an earlier poster's issues with the delay with the valet card, I have found timing is important. Putting cards on door pillar and removing them quickly as or before door handles pop out is critical. Usually 5 sec or so. Leaving it on door pillar for even 10sec causes handles to pop back in and have to start over pulling key away. Then it becomes a game of wait and try and so forth. It is a little idiosyncrasy and, once I got used to it, no longer a problem. But if you leave it on there too long, it wont work, at least on my car.

Back