• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Mobile charging when on vacation

SBR

Cars
AGT X2
Our vacation home only has a 30A dryer connection (in garage). When we used to take our Tesla there, we could just use the onboard screen to reduce the charge rate limit to 24A. We’re about to take our lucid there next month.

I can’t figure out how to change the default amperage consumption on the lucid. It probably doesn’t exist.

I would be using an adapter from dryer plug to nema14-50 for the lucid mobile connector. How do you tell lucid to limit the charge to 24A instead of the usual 40A?

Thanks!

I use a 14-30 adapter on the mobile lucid charger. And then a converter from my house 10-30 dryer plug to the 14-30 from Amazon. This seems to lower the amperage to the car. Charges at a nice 20 mi/hr

I use a 14-30 adapter on the mobile lucid charger. And then a converter from my house 10-30 dryer plug to the 14-30 from Amazon. This seems to lower the amperage to the car. Charges at a nice 20 mi/hr
This is the right way to do it. The mobile cable recognizes the 30 amp adapter and sets the current limit.

Is the mobile charger that comes with the car a 14-30 or 14-50 adapter?

The 14-50 comes with the car. The 14-30 can be bought on the Lucid store.
If you see the 14-30 adapter on Lucid's store, buy it. It's been out of stock in the past.

Unfortunately it's not yet possible to adjust the charging current, either from the app or the car. I hope they add it soon.

I could be wrong, but I think the wonderbox does this all atuomaticcaly. If you want to know for sure just text Lucid customer care, they respond almost immediately..

I could be wrong, but I think the wonderbox does this all atuomaticcaly. If you want to know for sure just text Lucid customer care, they respond almost immediately..
Yes, you are wrong ;). The available charging current is provided through the J1772 connector and the car uses that. The mobile charger provides the current information, which is set by the kind of adapter cable you are using. Best to get the 30A Lucid charging adapter:
In a way, the Wunderbox reads this information through the J1772, but you still need the adapter cable to convey this information.

Yes, you are wrong ;). The available charging current is provided through the J1772 connector and the car uses that. The mobile charger provides the current information, which is set by the kind of adapter cable you are using. Best to get the 30A Lucid charging adapter:
In a way, the Wunderbox reads this information through the J1772, but you still need the adapter cable to convey this information.
Unfortunately this is still the case, this is one of the main reasons I use a Wallbox unit at home as I adjust the charger amperage to match excess solar generation (typically around 20A once my Powerwalls are full and no home AC is running). For my other vehicle, I use that manufacturer's app to manually adjust the amperage on the car side to achieve the same thing. That vehicle is using a Wall Connector. This is another area where Lucid needs to improve and would solve the problem the OP is experiencing. Looks like the OP's solution is to get the adapter from the Lucid store, looks like it is available. If they need it more quickly, maybe the local service center has one in stock (unsure if that is an option). If they need something REAL quickly, they OP may have to purchase a new portable charger on Amazon.

Unfortunately this is still the case, this is one of the main reasons I use a Wallbox unit at home as I adjust the charger amperage to match excess solar generation (typically around 20A once my Powerwalls are full and no home AC is running). For my other vehicle, I use that manufacturer's app to manually adjust the amperage on the car side to achieve the same thing. That vehicle is using a Wall Connector. This is another area where Lucid needs to improve and would solve the problem the OP is experiencing. Looks like the OP's solution is to get the adapter from the Lucid store, looks like it is available. If they need it more quickly, maybe the local service center has one in stock (unsure if that is an option). If they need something REAL quickly, they OP may have to purchase a new portable charger on Amazon.
Reasonable, but what is the need to adjust amperage whilst on vacation?

Reasonable, but what is the need to adjust amperage whilst on vacation?
Perhaps I’m overly cautious, but with my previous EVs I have often adjusted charging current downwards when at unfamiliar locations. Sometimes it’s to compensate for the use of an extension, sometimes it’s because I know there are other appliances on the same breaker, and sometimes it’s just out of an abundance of caution.

Of course with the Lucid having very nearly twice the range of my first Model S, it’s much less of an issue. But I’d still like to have the option, even if it’s only for occasional / untypical use cases.

I ended up taking our model x for simplicity. Too many small issues and inconveniences with the lucid. I wasn’t willing to buy yet another piece of hardware only to loose it. We already have one too many cables for our cars.

Bobby the vacation home only has a 30A circuit. So using a converter to plug in lucid mobile connector would have probably blown a fuse or just stop charging.

Lucid does indeed need to provide functionality to set current limit on charge. It’s simple and can be done.

I ended up taking our model x for simplicity. Too many small issues and inconveniences with the lucid. I wasn’t willing to buy yet another piece of hardware only to loose it. We already have one too many cables for our cars.

Bobby the vacation home only has a 30A circuit. So using a converter to plug in lucid mobile connector would have probably blown a fuse or just stop charging.

Lucid does indeed need to provide functionality to set current limit on charge. It’s simple and can be done.
The Lucid charger will charge on a 30A circuit just fine. That's what mine is plugged into and I haven't blown anything. The charger included won't draw more than the plug can handle.

I bought a NEMA 14-30 to 14-50 EV (UL Listed) adapter from Amazon for less than $30.​

SetWire NEMA 14-30P to 14-50R EV Charger Adapter Cord,EV Charging Adapter Cord,30 Amp Dryer to 50 Amp EV Conversion Adapter Cord for Level 2 EV Charging.​

That will trip the circuit breaker and is unsafe to use with a 50-amp circuit breaker. You need to use Lucid's 30-amp mobile charger adapter cord instead. Lucid's adapter cord has an identifier that tells the mobile charger to tell the car that it can only pull 30 amps.

That will trip the circuit breaker and is unsafe to use with a 50-amp circuit breaker. You need to use Lucid's 30-amp mobile charger adapter cord instead. Lucid's adapter cord has an identifier that tells the mobile charger to tell the car that it can only pull 30 amps.
What he said! All the BEV OEM mobile charging cords plug adapters tell the OEM power pack how much it can pull. Same for Tesla, and same for the 120v Lucid. If you use the dumb 30 amp Amazon adapter plugged into a 50 amp receptacle, the Lucid or Tesla or any other mobile power pack thinks ii can draw 50a. Maybe the adapter melts, maybe the breaker trips, maybe the 30amp receptacle catches fire.

Duly noted. Thank you for additional information and insights.
No worries. This is a lot of electrical shit to learn. I designed power supplies for high end audio equipment as well as electrical mains upgrades. I never thought I would need all that knowledge for my new Lucid. Until BEV charging, Almost no one has real experience with powerful 240v 30 to 50 amp circuits. Vastly more dangerous than common 120v/15amp home circuits. I have seen a spark from a faulty 240v/50 plug almost blind someone, burned a hole in their face to their skull.

Worst part: Amazon is happy to sell you thousands of adapters, plugs and receptacles that will catch fire.

Lucid really needs to add amperage adjustment in the vehicle

Back