Mixed EA charging experiences

fyellin

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
So I picked up my Lucid Air last Thursday in Millbrae (SF). What was supposed to be a final drive in my Tesla from Redwood City to Manhattan Beach (just south of LA) instead became the first drive of my new Grand Touring.

I've now used Electrify America twice, and both experiences were okay, but disappointing.

After making it from Redwood City to Manhattan Beach on a single charge (!!), I was at 50 miles and rush hour when I pulled into the parking lot shown on my map. WTF? There's no charger anywhere near me? This is a grocery store parking lot. I go to the exact spot marked on the map and nothing. I finally found someone who worked there, who happily informed me that the chargers were underneath me in the underground garage.

My first charger was a 150kw charger. I plugged in, and got the dreaded "Error authorizing." As many people on this thread have recommended, I tried another stall and it worked, . . . for five minutes and then it stopped charging. I unplugged and replugged it back in. It charged, but at a max of 75kw. A 30min charge became an hour.

On the way back home, I stopped at Harris Ranch. Wow, this place has a 350kw hyper charger. I got a brief moment of 120kw, but mostly just 75kw, sometimes lower.

Are there any EA chargers that actually deliver what they promise? Is this a Lucid issue or an EA issue.

Are there any EA chargers that actually deliver what they promise? Is this a Lucid issue or an EA issue.
Those are the billion-dollar questions. Once in a while someone will post a pic of their Air getting over 300kW on a 350kW EA charger. But it's rare.

After public-charging my Air eight times, my expectation is to have to try a few EA dispensers to get a successful charge at a reasonable power level. Not once in a while - most of the time. Have not yet seen anything above 175kW delivered to the car.

How many minutes did you pre-condition for?

I preconditioned for 20 minutes before my first charge attempt. Couldn't get the single available charger to work with my car, and there was a line of cars waiting, so I drove on to another EA location 15 minutes away and charged there. After that, I haven't bothered trying to precondition any more.

At Manhattan Beach, I preconditioned for over half an hour because of the hunt for the chargers. At Harris Ranch, about ten minutes. I’m still used to the Tesla, which pre-conditions automatically.

I preconditioned for 20 minutes before my first charge attempt. Couldn't get the single available charger to work with my car, and there was a line of cars waiting, so I drove on to another EA location 15 minutes away and charged there. After that, I haven't bothered trying to precondition any more.

At Manhattan Beach, I preconditioned for over half an hour because of the hunt for the chargers. At Harris Ranch, about ten minutes. I’m still used to the Tesla, which pre-conditions automatically.
The reason I asked is because I have noticed a pretty significant difference in charging rates depending on how much or little pre-conditioning I have done; for example last week I went to a 350KW charger that I had previously saw 257 KW in the fall when I had 20+ minutes of PC, last week at the same charger with 5 minutes of PC I saw 90 KW.

I'd say 85-90% of the charging I do is at home or the office, and when I do charge at EA I have had good success when fully pre-conditioned.

Back