Mapping software and navigation

I believe they use HERE Maps which is probably for future use when it comes to how far they want to go with autonomy due to HD mapping HERE has been doing.

There is a "HERE WeGo" navigation app for iOS and Android. I wonder if it's fundamentally the same software as Lucid (and apparently various other OEMs) use?

Lucid is not using Google maps because they have gone with Apple Carplay which for now I’m totally unfamiliar with as a Tesla Model S owner. I hope Rawlinson is paying attentio. Navigation can become a dealbreaker if it’s horribl.
I didn't think they were planning to only introduce Carplay. I thought they were also working on Android Auto. Which raises a different question. Is Android Auto easier to integrate with a vehicle than Carplay?

There is a "HERE WeGo" navigation app for iOS and Android. I wonder if it's fundamentally the same software as Lucid (and apparently various other OEMs) use?
Mercedes uses it for Drive Pilot of whatever they call the system. Interestingly, Here is majority-owned by Audi, Mercedes and BMW and Intel. I think in the early days of the e-Tron Audi went all in with Here and everyone complained that the real-time traffic data was bad so they changed back to google.

The maps have lots of errors!
That was another issue that I forgot to mention. On the test drive, we had to turn off the radio to turn on navigation. That to me is sucks for an EV like the AGT. I don’t know how you Dream owners can put up with that. I’m getting close to staying with my 2013 Model S 85 that comes with lifetime free internet and free supercharging! only have 51k miles on it. Car still runs like a bomb and I. an trash any Camaro or rice rocket from the traffic lights. The ONLY reason to upgrade to a new Tesla Model S would be for the autonomous driving features that again are superior to any other EV manufacturer for now. I want to fall in love with Lucid but it’s just not happening yet!

In an article last year it was reported that Lucid was licensing mapping data from HERE, so it may well be that they're using HERE navigation software as well.

That was another issue that I forgot to mention. On the test drive, we had to turn off the radio to turn on navigation. That to me is sucks for an EV like the AGT. I don’t know how you Dream owners can put up with that. I’m getting close to staying with my 2013 Model S 85 that comes with lifetime free internet and free supercharging! only have 51k miles on it. Car still runs like a bomb and I. an trash any Camaro or rice rocket from the traffic lights. The ONLY reason to upgrade to a new Tesla Model S would be for the autonomous driving features that again are superior to any other EV manufacturer for now. I want to fall in love with Lucid but it’s just not happening yet!
Wait what? Turn off the radio to turn on nav?

I didn't think they were planning to only introduce Carplay. I thought they were also working on Android Auto. Which raises a different question. Is Android Auto easier to integrate with a vehicle than Carplay?
Considering Lucid is using Android Automotive as their infotainment platform, it would be interesting if CarPlay were easier to integrate than Android Auto.

I take your point but, as someone who drove a Model S P90D for six years and now owns a Model S Plaid and an Air Dream Edition Performance, I can assure you there are many reasons to upgrade your Model S . . . and even more to switch to an Air.

Last edited:
Considering Lucid is using Android Automotive as their infotainment platform, it would be interesting if CarPlay were easier to integrate than Android Auto.
Really? I thought they developed it in house

Maybe it all has to do with the curved display like someone else mentioned giving them issues.

In an article last year it was reported that Lucid was licensing mapping data from HERE, so it may well be that they're using HERE navigation software as well.
It would be an easy but entirely academic test - when your car gives weird directions that Google and Apple don't, see if the HERE WeGo mobile app gives the same. Probably not worth your time, but one day when I get my car I'll try it :)

Lucid is not using Google maps because they have gone with Apple Carplay which for now I’m totally unfamiliar with as a Tesla Model S owner. I hope Rawlinson is paying attentio. Navigation can become a dealbreaker if it’s horribl.
carplay has nothing to do with Google Maps.

Personally, I don't mind the built in nav. I think it works fine, my only request is to allow better zooming on the pilot screen, and add in sattelite view.

Also, for the comments above, looks like I stand corrected and both Android Auto and Carplay now allow multiple data output streams so in-car nav can be augmented.

(Also, as an aside: Android Auto and Android Automotive are different, Google was always the best at names :) https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...otive-everything-you-need-to-know-169136.html )

The platform (think kernel, drivers, graphics primitives) is Android Automotive but without Google's service layer. It would make little sense to start from scratch with that stuff as it is a lot of engineering effort. The user-facing software is apparently their own. But this is only a best guess.

Wait what? Turn off the radio to turn on nav?
I'm thinking the user was talking about having to switch screens to turn on radio, which is true. there is no way to show nav while on the radio screen. However: you can definitely have radio on while in nav, it just continues to play in background.

I'm thinking the user was talking about having to switch screens to turn on radio, which is true. there is no way to show nav while on the radio screen. However: you can definitely have radio on while in nav, it just continues to play in background.
Oh okay yea, that is a known problem with Android Automotive...I think

Oh okay yea, that is a known problem with Android Automotive...I think
Is it? I assume it won't be a problem for long, a few other manufacturers have gone all in on android automotive also (Lucid, Ford, Honda, Polestar, Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi, GM, Fiat/Chrysler's parent group, etc)

carplay has nothing to do with Google Maps.

Personally, I don't mind the built in nav. I think it works fine, my only request is to allow better zooming on the pilot screen, and add in sattelite view.

Also, for the comments above, looks like I stand corrected and both Android Auto and Carplay now allow multiple data output streams so in-car nav can be augmented.

(Also, as an aside: Android Auto and Android Automotive are different, Google was always the best at names :) https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...otive-everything-you-need-to-know-169136.html )
I assumed they were different, but still looking to see if anyone has the answer to my question on whether Android Auto is also planned whether at the same time or around the same time as Carplay. I'm one of the few, it seems, who uses an android phone rather than apple.

I assumed they were different, but still looking to see if anyone has the answer to my question on whether Android Auto is also planned whether at the same time or around the same time as Carplay. I'm one of the few, it seems, who uses an android phone rather than apple.
I asked about it, since I'm not married to either Android or Apple (They both have significant plusses and minuses in my mind) and was told it was coming as well.

Mercedes uses it for Drive Pilot of whatever they call the system. Interestingly, Here is majority-owned by Audi, Mercedes and BMW and Intel. I think in the early days of the e-Tron Audi went all in with Here and everyone complained that the real-time traffic data was bad so they changed back to google.
For what it's worth, Infiniti also uses HERE. When I recently ordered the DVD set for my 2012 Infiniti FX35 SUV, it was shipped directly from HERE. I have real-time traffic data also on the FX35 but that is from Sirius XM.

I think Borski and Paladin had access to a fairly high level Manager at Lucid so maybe they can send him an email or give him a call and see if we can get any kind of an update as to when we might expect to see CarPlay added???

Back