Mapping software and navigation

ralsagoff

Cars
Tesla Model S
I just test drove an AGT at the Torrance Studio last week. I have to say that the mapping software is nowhere near like the one in the Tesla Model S. The scrren does not give much detail and is nowhere near what the average Google type map looks like. Traffic condition display is also very poor compared to the Model S. There is also no overall route display option. I hope that this will be remedied in future OTA downloads. Having driven the Model S for eight years, I’ve become addicted to the navigation software, if only to tell me how long it takes to get to my destination. I also like the integration with calendar, where if you have an appointment that pops up on the screen, all you do is tap the appointment and the navigation will activate without having to input the address. Its totally seamless! I just hope that Rawlinson incorporates some of these incredible features of the Model S into the Lucid. There’s plenty of time for him to do it!

I just test drove an AGT at the Torrance Studio last week. I have to say that the mapping software is nowhere near like the one in the Tesla Model S. The scrren does not give much detail and is nowhere near what the average Google type map looks like. Traffic condition display is also very poor compared to the Model S. There is also no overall route display option. I hope that this will be remedied in future OTA downloads. Having driven the Model S for eight years, I’ve become addicted to the navigation software, if only to tell me how long it takes to get to my destination. I also like the integration with calendar, where if you have an appointment that pops up on the screen, all you do is tap the appointment and the navigation will activate without having to input the address. Its totally seamless! I just hope that Rawlinson incorporates some of these incredible features of the Model S into the Lucid. There’s plenty of time for him to do it!
The current NAV software is the worst that I have experienced in any vehicle! And that includes a lot of rental cars. Just give me good Android Auto integration.

The current NAV software is the worst that I have experienced in any vehicle! And that includes a lot of rental cars. Just give me good Android Auto integration.
Try Porshe's. This is a dream compared to the one they have in their latest PCM 6.0.

For the overall-route display - that is on the Pilot screen when you swipe down.

On the pilot panel, when you swipe it down, you can choose between a 2D map, 3D map, overall route map, and range map.

But yeah I also can’t wait for CarPlay.

On the pilot panel, when you swipe it down, you can choose between a 2D map, 3D map, overall route map, and range map.

Remember: if they add nav to the instrument display like most manufacturers have, CarPlay won’t work for those directions (which is dumb imo, but I think it’s a requirement I don’t believe there is a way to separate that out and pass it to the car for Android Auto or CarPlay)

Remember: if they add nav to the instrument display like most manufacturers have, CarPlay won’t work for those directions (which is dumb imo, but I think it’s a requirement I don’t believe there is a way to separate that out and pass it to the car for Android Auto or CarPlay)

Huh? I’ve definitely used Google Maps via CarPlay in cars that already had a nav.

Same here. Also test drive at the Torrance studio. Was shocked how bad the nav UI looks. The rest of the car was like 9/10, the software was 5/10, and the navigation sw was like 1/10 ...

With many from the exec team coming from Apple and Samsung, I had no idea how they manage to make the navigation software looks like a 20 years old already ...

I could never think anyone could have made a navigation sw as bad as one in my S560, until I tried the Lucid.

Unlike Mercedes, I have high hope that Lucid can address this via OTA

But here's the good news: if you think the Tesla nav software is good (and I think it's quite good), then you'll be impressed with the one on the Rivian !! It's amazing. This should be brought up often as a shame factor to force Lucid to quickly improve its garbage nav sw.

Last edited:

The thing I most miss in the Air compared to the Tesla is the Google Earth satellite map. It was my favorite feature of the Teslas we've owned since 2015. Not only does overlaying a navigation route onto the satellite image give the best visual reference for navigating unknown territory, I love being able actually to see what lies beyond curves, over hills, and behind screens of trees. I feel more grounded in my surroundings when driving or riding than with any competing imaging technology.

For certain drives, such as wandering through a maze of meandering suburban streets to look at home construction and such things, we often choose taking the Tesla over other cars solely because of that satellite image.

CarPlay - Apple Maps (and Google Maps) is useless for EV's unless you want to manually plan out your charging stops through a 3rd party app like PlugShare, ABRP etc. The reason the Tesla one works so well is because again it's an all in one. It knows how the efficiency of the vehicle is working to update the mapping system accordingly. You plan your trip in Apple Maps but if you hit a headwind it's not going to know and just keep telling you go to the charger you programmed into it even though you're not going to make it. You will then be scrambling to find another charger mid route vs the car doing it automatically for you.

As much as I despise the e-Tron route planner, I always use it because it's all integrated into the cars driving and efficiency stats and will alert me if something has changed and I can't make it.

Huh? I’ve definitely used Google Maps via CarPlay in cars that already had a nav.

CarPlay is totally usable when there is nav. What I mean is that the map in the instrument cluster won’t show the turns, the turns only show in CarPlay. This is in contrast to most cars where you get turns in both the nav and the instrument cluster.

Since we don’t have maps in instrument cluster this doesn’t matter yet, but may if they change that.

Not necessarily. The new BMW iX and i4 will display CarPlay routing in the instrument panel. So, it's possible. See:

Android Auto NAV is fully integrated into my Ford and GM cars.

I must be the only one here that doesn't mind the NAV lol. I like the 3d view on the driver screen and use the 2d view on the pilot panel. It just works, tells me what turns to take in how many feet, etc. My only complaint is the lack of ability to turn off the volume or have music and nav on 2 different screens at the same time, though that is supposedly coming in an update with Android Automotive 2.

I must be the only one here that doesn't mind the NAV lol. I like the 3d view on the driver screen and use the 2d view on the pilot panel. It just works, tells me what turns to take in how many feet, etc. My only complaint is the lack of ability to turn off the volume or have music and nav on 2 different screens at the same time, though that is supposedly coming in an update with Android Automotive 2.
The maps have lots of errors!

Actually, we know Lucid ended up using someone else for their nav, why didnt they just integrate Google maps with Android Automotive

Actually, we know Lucid ended up using someone else for their nav, why didnt they just integrate Google maps with Android Automotive
I believe they use HERE Maps which is probably for future use when it comes to how far they want to go with autonomy due to HD mapping HERE has been doing.

Lucid is not using Google maps because they have gone with Apple Carplay which for now I’m totally unfamiliar with as a Tesla Model S owner. I hope Rawlinson is paying attentio. Navigation can become a dealbreaker if it’s horribl.

Back