Lucid Nav vs Carplay Nav

Careful. Autopilot has also tried to run me into vehicles and/or short stop in front of other vehicles, so yes, I would say it tried to kill me. It did not succeed, thankfully, nor was it intentional, but that statement is true, if hyperbolic.

Also, this isn't about Tesla; has nothing to do with Tesla. You brought that up.

This is about the fact that Tesla's Autopilot does not do hands-free driving and is not a hands-free Level 3 system, and as such, requires the user to pay attention at all times and not text and drive.

People die every day from texting and driving. That was the point.

Have you considered either contributing or providing them with feedback? Maybe you have already...

That is a CarPlay limitation at present, not something Lucid can do anything about until the next version of CarPlay.
I mean Tesla was brought up here long before I replied man. I just simply was replying to the thread where others already mentioned Tesla.

I would 100% agree with you that you should not rely on any ADAS system to the point where you are texting and driving. Again I didn't mention that one bit.

You may have confused my first reply with replies from others along the way.

Yes I did provide feedback. The problem is that general users do not do those things for any car brand. Most car brands have to do the brunt work and it leads to a poor experience for users that just want a car that works. We are all enthusiasts here so its hard to get out of that mind frame but the fact of the matter is that most general consumers don't care to do this or to tinker with their car to get charging to work.

Oh 100% get that its not a Lucid problem for CarPlay nor did I say it was. I was stating a fact that leads me to choose using the built in navigation and not CarPlay.

I exclusively use CarPlay, and am texting for work constantly while in the car. I find it to be very accurate, particularly if you slow down your speech and annunciate a little bit more clearly.
I wish I had same result... I have tons of issues with accuracy of CarPlay dictation in my Lucid... She misses words and messes up messages.. I had much better results in my other cars... I now talk at half speed and annunciate like I am doing a poetry recital... I was just assuming it was related to the echo issue with phones on Car Play, and would eventually be rectified.. Maybe not?

Autopilot tried to kill you? I feel like you hate teslas more than you like the Lucid at this point man. Always pulling them down every chance you get.

Back to the thread, Lucid's backend is not Google Maps (Tesla is) based which I think the general world agrees is the best backend. The rate in which maps loads while scrolling or routing is much slower than Tesla's approach. However, I am interested in Lucid continuing to improve this GUI as I too believe native software is much better. Hell, I have lived in a new community for about 6 months now and the Lucid still can't find my address (yes I know its not a direct Lucid problem but Lucid chose HERE integration). Google maps has no issues though so scheduled charging at the home location has been hit or miss.

Sure we have carplay but I also have a giant screen next to me that Carplay cant use. Hopefully we will eventually see a transition to Google maps.
Oh you betcha it does! My 2017 MS tried to kill me (unsuccessfully) several times. It had a proclivity to want to steer into concrete barriers. After the 3rd or 4th time (I’m a slow learner), I turned that sucker off and never used it again. So I have no hate for Tesla having owned one, but reality is what it is.

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
I related this in another relevant thread, but Apple Maps directions were incredibly helpful in March before the release of CarPlay. Unfortunately, Lucid's navigation did not reliably locate EA stations enroute across 2000 miles. I use Apple Maps in Carplay exclusively because it gives progressive oral instructions on lane changes, etc. Of course, in the mountains of CO there is spotty or no cell signal but the Lucid GPS navigation is available. I trust that the subsequent OTAs have fixed the Lucid nav's EA station location ability based on all available EA stations on the route so that I do not have to use the EA app to find stations within my sitting range, which is usually not more than 4 hours and about 250 miles.

I wish I had same result... I have tons of issues with accuracy of CarPlay dictation in my Lucid... She misses words and messes up messages.. I had much better results in my other cars... I now talk at half speed and annunciate like I am doing a poetry recital... I was just assuming it was related to the echo issue with phones on Car Play, and would eventually be rectified.. Maybe not?

CarPlay echo should be gone in 2.1.42

Autopilot tried to kill you? I feel like you hate teslas more than you like the Lucid at this point man.
With good reason. My Tesla regularly braked on highways with FSD engaged for no reason whatsoever, nearly causing me to be rear ended several times. On a number of occasions while attempting to use FSD on city streets, it began to drive me INTO cyclists, entering the cycling lane. It also stopped dead in the middle of turns quite regularly.

It attempted to turn into oncoming traffic more than a few times.

In the three years I had the car, I could not get it to successfully complete a single five-minute trip to the grocery store without doing something that would have caused an accident if I hadn't taken over. I kept running every update, hoping it would get better, and it never did.

So yeah. I get a little testy when people suggest they can turn on Autopilot and then read. I actively avoid Teslas when I'm driving because I can't be sure if the person behind the wheel actually believes the car can drive itself.

It's not hate. It's experience. And simple self-preservation.

Okay enough Tesla shit. Lucid nav works for some and not for others. It's entirely based off HERE maps. I use Lucid nav exclusively and have been very happy with it. I live in an established neighborhood in the suburbs of LA with not much new construction so that may be why my experience is better than others. Don't use CarPlay and anytime I've pitted Lucid NAV against Google Maps, they've either been the same or the Lucid NAV has gotten me there faster.

Okay enough Tesla shit. Lucid nav works for some and not for others. It's entirely based off HERE maps. I use Lucid nav exclusively and have been very happy with it. I live in an established neighborhood in the suburbs of LA with not much new construction so that may be why my experience is better than others. Don't use CarPlay and anytime I've pitted Lucid NAV against Google Maps, they've either been the same or the Lucid NAV has gotten me there faster.
Thank you! Another helpful response! Yay! Haha. One thing I’ve noticed from the demo cars is that the maps can be quite laggy to scroll and tap, any chance that’s just an issue with the demo car software? Lol also hopefully it’s something that can be improved by OTA

Thank you! Another helpful response! Yay! Haha. One thing I’ve noticed from the demo cars is that the maps can be quite laggy to scroll and tap, any chance that’s just an issue with the demo car software? Lol also hopefully it’s something that can be improved by OTA
Depends. Are you using the sat map or the cartoon one? I've also downloaded the maps locally so that may help with lag as well

I mean Tesla was brought up here long before I replied man. I just simply was replying to the thread where others already mentioned Tesla.

I would 100% agree with you that you should not rely on any ADAS system to the point where you are texting and driving. Again I didn't mention that one bit.
You’re right! I conflated you and @momo3605. Too many o’s! :p sorry about that

Tesla was brought up because it was mentioned in the first post, as the OP came from Tesla.

But the first person to mention texting and driving, followed up by using autopilot to text and drive, was OP, here, across two subsequent posts:
Tesla messaging even lets you read the text directly on the screen when you get a text message.
you have autopilot when you need to read paragraphs of text😂

This is what people are responding to. OP implied that autopilot is a good tool for letting you text and drive. That’s why people reacted so strongly.

If they had replaced “Tesla” and “autopilot” with “Lucid” and “highway assist” they would’ve gotten the same reaction; it has nothing to do with Tesla, specifically.

Most car brands have to do the brunt work and it leads to a poor experience for users that just want a car that works. We are all enthusiasts here so its hard to get out of that mind frame but the fact of the matter is that most general consumers don't care to do this or to tinker with their car to get charging to work.

Agreed. That said, far more vehicles use HERE maps than Google, and so it will definitely continue to improve over time.

For my purposes, I do wish they swapped to Google or Apple Maps. But I also know that HERE is a hell of a lot easier to integrate with all of the EV stuff than Google Maps; for Google, it’s an afterthought and a pain, whereas HERE was built with that at least somewhat in mind.

My guess is that’s why they went with HERE, not cost or some similarly superficial metric.

But I don’t know for sure.

Tesla was brought up because it was mentioned in your first post, as you having come from Tesla.

But the first person to mention texting and driving, followed up by using autopilot to text and drive, was you, here, across two subsequent posts:

This is what people are responding to. You implied that autopilot is a good tool for letting you text and drive. If you didn’t intend that implication, that’s okay! But that is what was said / implied; you may have meant it as a joke given the emoji, but it’s brought up seriously here pretty often. That’s why people reacted so strongly.

If you had replaced “Tesla” and “autopilot” with “lucid” and “highway assist” you would’ve gotten the same reaction; it has nothing to do with Tesla, specifically.

Agreed. That said, far more vehicles use HERE maps than Google, and so it will definitely continue to improve over time.

For my purposes, I do wish they swapped to Google or Apple Maps. But I also know that HERE is a hell of a lot easier to integrate with all of the EV stuff than Google Maps; for Google, it’s an afterthought and a pain, whereas HERE was built with that at least somewhat in mind.

My guess is that’s why they went with HERE, not cost or some similarly superficial metric.

But I don’t know for sure.
My guy, you literally quoted two different people. I didnt imply anything about texting and driving. I am not the OP lol

My guy, you literally quoted two different people. I didnt imply anything about texting and driving. I am not the OP lol
Haha you responded before I almost instantly edited it. Sorry about that!

Clearly need caffeine

Why are all you moderators so aggressive and defensive? I'm looking at the comments in this thread...the only helpful comments have been from everyone except you 3 mods that jumped in here to battle about how Teslas kill people.
Er, I'm being neither aggressive nor defensive; if it comes off that way, I apologize. I never said 'Teslas kill people.' I honestly do not care about Tesla one way or the other and have no vitriol for it. In fact, I was one of the original folks to drive the original Roadster, and it was a spectacular car. It's one of the reasons I bought a Lotus Elise.

I did, however, clarify that you should not be texting and driving. Tesla loves to market 'autopilot' as safe for things just like that, and it really really isn't. That's not defensive, or aggressive; it's just fact.

As I noted elsewhere, if you had replaced "Tesla" and "autopilot" with "Lucid" and "Highway Assist" or any other brand you'd have gotten the same reaction. Has nothing to do with Tesla.

Tesla says it's safe to read messages and type addresses on the screen. So, that's their choice.
It isn't, though; it's yours. And reading messages while driving means you aren't looking at the road and, thus, are not paying complete attention and ready to take over at any time, which is literally what causes crashes. That's not hyperbole.

Also, Tesla does not say it's safe to do that while using Autopilot. In fact, it says the opposite. That they don't explicitly disallow it doesn't mean it is 'safe according to Tesla.' In fact, no matter which version you have, straight from the manual:

1700002628029.png

1700002638840.png

1700002647484.png
1700002656475.png

Here, have your pick of warnings not to do exactly what you are suggesting Tesla 'says is safe': https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-E5FF5E84-6AAC-43E6-B7ED-EC1E9AEB17B7.html

And for the record, Lucid provides similar warnings, as does every other manufacturer that provides a Level 2 ADAS.

Apple made their own choice of what's safe. It's not up to you to tell people which features of their car they should or should not be allowed to use.
I'm not telling you to not use a feature of your car. I don't care what features you use or don't use. I am advocating for using features safely; that is not the same thing.

I think we can take a pause on the bashing, i got what i needed about the usability of Lucid Maps from other helpful people in this forum. Thanks!
Wasn't bashing. You don't need to take it as such. Again: I have no problem with Tesla, Autopilot, or using it. I have lots of problems with relying on it (or any other Level 2 ADAS) to text and drive.

Glad you find the forum helpful; we try very very hard to keep it that way. :)

Have a nice day. :)

It isn't, though; it's yours. And reading messages while driving means you aren't looking at the road and, thus, are not paying complete attention and ready to take over at any time, which is literally what causes crashes.
I was joking about using autopilot…hence the emoji…but anyway, I personally find futzing around with carplay to be even more distracting and unsafe. In fact I have a Chevy Bolt with Supercruise and if I try hunting around for a playlist on spotify, it’ll throw in-attention warnings and kick me out of supercruise immediately. Fast glance and type, even lucid maps and the built in Spotify allows you to do so! I think is safer than all the sub menus and swiping around you have to do in carplay menus since you can’t search for anything. Anyway, just my personal opinion.

Back