Mapping software and navigation

I think Borski and Paladin had access to a fairly high level Manager at Lucid so maybe they can send him an email or give him a call and see if we can get any kind of an update as to when we might expect to see CarPlay added???

Nope. Details have been entirely mum on CarPlay. Wish I knew.

(and it's a her. :) )

I take your point but, as someone who drove a Model S P90D for six years and now owns a Model S Plaid and an Air Dream Edition Performance, I can assure you there are many reasons to upgrade your Model S . . . and even more to switch to an Air.
Please share with me why I should upgrade to a Lucid for other than the range and better service that Lucid can provide.

The customer service at Tesla a few years ago was amazing. You could call the service center and always get a live person and often they could help you solve the problem while on the phone. Or you could bring your car in for service, or they could come to your home for minor service. If your car needed to stay in the garage for more than a day, Tesla would provide another Model S loaner. Now, you have to make a service appointment through the app and if you need to leave your car for more than a day, they drop you off at Enterprise. Lucid is currently competing with Tesla Model S and so the cus service is going to be much better at least for the next few years. I look forward to hearing from you.

Please share with me why I should upgrade to a Lucid for other than the range and better service that Lucid can provide.
No Yoke.
Not a tablet on wheels, but has some real controls for things you want to get to.
Higher quality materials.
More luxurious interior.
Better handling.
not to mention the longer range which you stated I think is the most important reason. Perhaps @hmp10 can tell you more.

Real blind spot monitors in the mirrors, which Tesla has refused to do.
this and the poor quality of interior is what convinced me. their implementation of blind spot mirrors is laughable. you put the left turn signal but you have to look right to see the live feed? who thought about that UX.

this and the poor quality of interior is what convinced me. their implementation of blind spot mirrors is laughable. you put the left turn signal but you have to look right to see the live feed? who thought about that UX.

I think the answer, sadly, is *nobody*. Nobody thought about that UX.

The thing I most miss in the Air compared to the Tesla is the Google Earth satellite map. It was my favorite feature of the Teslas we've owned since 2015. Not only does overlaying a navigation route onto the satellite image give the best visual reference for navigating unknown territory, I love being able actually to see what lies beyond curves, over hills, and behind screens of trees. I feel more grounded in my surroundings when driving or riding than with any competing imaging technology.

For certain drives, such as wandering through a maze of meandering suburban streets to look at home construction and such things, we often choose taking the Tesla over other cars solely because of that satellite image.

When I first saw it I thought the designer had a thing for Total Recall 1990. If you haven't seen the movie in a while it's worth a look.

Actually, we know Lucid ended up using someone else for their nav, why didnt they just integrate Google maps with Android Automotive

Wouldn't using Google maps mean the LTE would need to work better?

Real blind spot monitors in the mirrors, which Tesla has refused to do.

Cars don't have blind spots, just incorrect mirror setting. I'm still amazed all the features that have been created behind an error in teaching. It's simple physics.

If you can see the side of your car in your drivers mirror you might as well knock it off with a sledge hammer as it's serving no purpose other than to show you the color you chose.

When I first saw it I thought the designer had a thing for Total Recall 1990. If you haven't seen the movie in a while it's worth a look.

Cars don't have blind spots, just incorrect mirror setting. I'm still amazed all the features that have been created behind an error in teaching. It's simple physics.

If you can see the side of your car in your drivers mirror you might as well knock it off with a sledge hammer as it's serving no purpose other than to show you the color you chose.

In general you’re right, but to be fair, setting them wide does set up other potential blind spots. [1] That said, meh - I don’t mind blind spot cameras making it even easier.

[1] https://www.driveandstayalive.com/setting-exterior-mirrors-car/

Nah. Just like you can download Lucid maps for offline use, you can do that with Google too - I do this on my iPhone all the time.

You’d need good LTE for things like traffic, etc., but that’s true of a Lucid system too.

Nah. Just like you can download Lucid maps for offline use, you can do that with Google too - I do this on my iPhone all the time.

You’d need good LTE for things like traffic, etc., but that’s true of a Lucid system too.

Oh, when I rented a Model 3 from Turo I could see the Google maps downloading as I was driving. Is there a setting in Tesla to set how much buffers?

As far as the mirror positioning goes, I think the current thinking is not to include the back corner of the car in your view. My youngest son and I went to a driver's safety class up at the Charlotte Speedway which was taught by current and former police officers. I think it was called BRAKES (Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe) The first thing they went over was that the current teaching is actually to position mirrors further out (not including a view of the back of the car) and to keep your hands at 9 and 3, not 10 and 2. I actually believe the NC State Trooper/Instructor said the exact same thing about the mirrors, "if you can see the back of your car, you might as well take a hammer to the mirror". The steering wheel positioning is actually influenced by the air bag now in every single steering wheel. The number of broken thumbs and shoulder injuries have gone way up.

Both are hard habits to break, at least for me.

It's a lot of things, both big and small, and many of them lie in the realm of personal preferences. But here's my list, in no particular order:

- I find the Plaid's yoke unwieldy in quick maneuvers, and I detest the bizarre placement of the control buttons, especially the turn signal buttons.

- Despite the Plaid's considerable interior improvements over earlier Model S's, the airiness and elegance of the Air's interior is still a considerable step up.

- Changing temperature, vent position, and audio volume is much easier in the Air, with its well-placed buttons.

- Being able to control lights, wipers, and locks without going into submenus is a welcome relief from Tesla's approach.

- With the extending thigh supports, the Air's front seats are considerably more comfortable . . . and the massage functions ain't bad, either.

- Rear seat passengers have vastly more legroom in the Air. With the drivers seats set to my preferred position in both cars, the Air passenger behind me has 9" more fore-aft legroom.

- The Air, though a tad less quick on a hard launch, stays better planted on the front end. You can use more of the Air's acceleration safely than the Plaid's. From speed, the Lucid's acceleration is on par with the Plaid's.

- The Air is quieter (despite Tesla's having finally activated active noise cancellation), its ride more compliant, and the suspension better sorted in quick maneuvers. (Both our Plaid and our Air have 21" wheels.)

- The panel alignment, the interior fit & finish, and the sense of solidity conveyed by the Air's greater torsional stiffness is notably better than the Plaid's.

- The Air's audio system is better.

- The Air has proper auto-dimming review mirrors which are inexplicably missing in the Plaid.

I should note that there are some things I like better about the Plaid:

- Love the Google Earth satellite map on the main screen and badly miss it in the Air.

- At least for now, the Tesla software is much more responsive.

- I like the size of the 17" screen in the Lucid and wish the Air could accommodate a screen of that size in its more elegant layout.

- The front console storage area is better designed and executed in the Plaid (and is the one piece in the car that feels of higher quality than its Air counterpart).

- The Plaid has wireless chargers for four phones, including two in the front that provide easier placement and viewing of the phones.

- The sense of no physics holding you in check when you hit the throttle is exhilarating (at least until the front end comes loose).

- It's easier to get into and out of the Plaid's rear seat without bumping your head. (However, this advantage is offset by the tighter legroom making it hard to get your feet into and out of the car.)

Last edited:
As far as the mirror positioning goes, I think the current thinking is not to include the back corner of the car in your view. My youngest son and I went to a driver's safety class up at the Charlotte Speedway which was taught by current and former police officers. I think it was called BRAKES (Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe) The first thing they went over was that the current teaching is actually to position mirrors further out (not including a view of the back of the car) and to keep your hands at 9 and 3, not 10 and 2. I actually believe the NC State Trooper/Instructor said the exact same thing about the mirrors, "if you can see the back of your car, you might as well take a hammer to the mirror". The steering wheel positioning is actually influenced by the air bag now in every single steering wheel. The number of broken thumbs and shoulder injuries have gone way up.

Both are hard habits to break, at least for me.

I learned about using the correct mirror position from driving my Porsche. It's frustrating since a few car manufacturers have fallen into this so far that they don't even let you aim mirror out far enough. When set correctly any car behind you goes from the rear-view onto your side view and never gets out of your sight. If you are driving behind someone and you can see the driver in the driver side mirror they have is set incorrectly!

It's a lot of things, both big and small, and many of them lie in the realm of personal preferences. But here's my list, in no particular order:

- I find the Plaid's yoke unwieldy in quick maneuvers, and I detest the bizarre placement of the control buttons, especially the turn signal buttons.

- Despite the Plaid's considerable interior improvements over earlier Model S's, the airiness and elegance of the Air's interior is still a considerable step up.

- Changing temperature, vent position, and audio volume is much easier in the Air, with its well-placed buttons.

- Being able to control lights, wipers, and locks without going into submenus is a welcome relief from Tesla's approach.

- With the extending thigh supports, the Air's front seats are considerably more comfortable . . . and the massage functions ain't bad, either.

- Rear seat passengers have vastly more legroom in the Air. With the divers seats set to my preferred position in both cars, the Air passenger behind me has 9" more fore-aft legroom.

- The Air, though a tad less quick on a hard launch, stays better planted on the front end. You can use more of the Air's acceleration safely than the Plaid's. From speed, the Lucid's acceleration is on par with the Plaid's.

- The Air is quieter (despite Tesla's having finally activated active noise cancellation), its ride more compliant, and the suspension better sorted in quick maneuvers. (Both our Plaid and our Air have 21" wheels.)

- The panel alignment, the interior fit & finish, and the sense of solidity conveyed by the Air's greater torsional stiffness is notably better than the Plaid's.

- The Air's audio system is better.

- The Air has proper auto-dimming review mirrors which are inexplicably missing in the Plaid.

I should note that there are some things I like better about the Plaid:

- Love the Google Earth satellite map on the main screen and badly miss it in the Air.

- At least for now, the Tesla software is much more responsive.

- I like the size of the 17" screen in the Lucid and wish the Air could accommodate a screen of that size in its more elegant layout.

- The front console storage area is better designed and executed in the Plaid (and is the one piece in the car that feels of higher quality than its Air counterpart).

- The Plaid has wireless charges for four phones, including two in the front that provide easier placement and viewing of the phones.

- The sense of no physics holding you in check when you hit the throttle is exhilarating (at least until the front end comes loose).

- It's easier to get into and out of the Plaid's rear seat without bumping your head. (However, this advantage is offset by the tighter legroom making it hard to get your feet into and out of the car.)
You are absolutely spot on in all your points about both cars! The yoke steering wheel is the biggest deal breaker for upgrading to another Tesla. There are already third party vendors who can retrofit it with a Tesla round steering wheel. I’m not sure how that could affect safety and performance. Im just hoping Lucid will offer a Google maps option down the road. Navigation is a critical feature to me! Thank you for taking the time to elucidate all your points! Cheers,

Oh, when I rented a Model 3 from Turo I could see the Google maps downloading as I was driving. Is there a setting in Tesla to set how much buffers?

Tesla doesn’t let you download offline maps right now, but it will try to cache maps around you - you just have no control over it. But that’s a Tesla issue, not a Google Maps issue - Google has the ability to download offline maps; Tesla just doesn’t let you do it at the moment.

You are absolutely spot on in all your points about both cars! The yoke steering wheel is the biggest deal breaker for upgrading to another Tesla. There are already third party vendors who can retrofit it with a Tesla round steering wheel. I’m not sure how that could affect safety and performance. Im just hoping Lucid will offer a Google maps option down the road. Navigation is a critical feature to me! Thank you for taking the time to elucidate all your points! Cheers,
I find the Lucid method of reseting the software a real PITA. I had to do three resets so far and the idea of having to stop the car, get out, lock the car, wait two minutes or more and then open and wait for a reboot shows how the engineers have not lived in areas where stoping and getting out of a car is not wise. You can do a reset in a Tesla by just holding the two buttons down for ten seconds. Can do this while driving !!!

I find the Lucid method of reseting the software a real PITA. I had to do three resets so far and the idea of having to stop the car, get out, lock the car, wait two minutes or more and then open and wait for a reboot shows how the engineers have not lived in areas where stoping and getting out of a car is not wise. You can do a reset in a Tesla by just holding the two buttons down for ten seconds. Can do this while driving !!!
another way of thinking is Lucid don't expect their cars to be reset when Tesla does :) Maybe Lucid engineers were overly optimistic.

another way of thinking is Lucid don't expect their cars to be reset when Tesla does :) Maybe Lucid engineers were overly optimistic.
All manufacturers should have an easy reset. The Porsche one is bizarre with two fingers in a corner.

I loved the Ford MyFordTouch one from a few years ago. It used to reboot and say "Performing Scheduled System Maintenance" which was code for "oh shit, I crashed again"

All manufacturers should have an easy reset. The Porsche one is bizarre with two fingers in a corner.

I loved the Ford MyFordTouch one from a few years ago. It used to reboot and say "Performing Scheduled System Maintenance" which was code for "oh shit, I crashed again"
Anything, no matter how bizarre, is better than having to stop and get out of the car. Hopefully soon this will be a thing of the past. Have not had to do a reset on the Plaid. Reset was a weekly routine with the early Teslas.

I'm hoping we just don't know what it is...maybe now the left trigger is enabled it could be a 2 button thing

Back