Luck o' the Irish

Jake Rodenroth is the Manager of Body Repair Program Operations at Lucid and oversees all aspects of repairing Lucids at certified repair facilities. He asked that I post his name and email so that other Lucid owners who need help with accident repairs know how to reach him:

[email removed by moderator]

I also told Jake about the difficulty of getting through to Customer Service at the time of an accident, and he is going to raise the issue internally at Lucid.

He has been incredibly helpful and informative thus far with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[email removed by moderator]

???

Could the moderator who removed this please DM me? I only posted this because Jake asked me to. I was not the one who brought up the idea. I don't want to get anyone into trouble -- just want to know the ground rules.

I think this may have to do with the "crumple zone" on the child's ill-advised hot rod (looks like a WRX ? = parent's asking for trouble). Looks like he hit a strong point on your Dream Edition, whilst his took the hit "head on", where a car is designed to absorb energy to save occupants. Glad to hear you are all OK.

but:
{for context: I was rear-ended by a drunk kid whilst I was stopped at a red light. His Neon had nothing in front of the firewall = completely crushed like a bier can, and I drove home. My rare Silver Arrow Edition R-129 was totaled but drivable ... auto roll bar deployed and auto-tensioner seat belts locked, enough force to tweek the Merc. so hard top would not fit / wheel scraping bent-in fender, etc... but everythng worked and drivable, and not even noticible unless you looked closely. Here's the thing:
The EMT questioned me about "you sure you don't want a ride to the ER?" to which I replied 'no thanks, I"m OK" I was holding my chest area unconsciously.... they hung around next to me ??? waiting for a pay-day I thought. But I drove home anyway because I did not want to leave my dream car to the vultures. Three hours later I woke, felt a bit sore around my belly (substantial at that time), got out of bed for a pissah, and felt the worst pain ever trying to get there (went to eleven)= spasms that were so powerful I soon blacked-out from the pain and collapsed against the bathroom door. My spouse heard this but could not open the door as I had fallen against it. When I came too I couldn't move for the pain, tried to, and blacked-out again. Next time I came to wife threatened to call ambulance, so I managed to get it together and fight the pain. At the ER it went " ALL HANDS ON DECK" and every tech = doctor in the place ran to me. OK = " 65 yo obese male w/ chest pain " apparently rings the heart attack bells. I took three IV dilaudid doses to get me to the cat scan table. Got a week of oxy (that stuff is amazing). No major damage other than all muscles/tendons/connective tissue around abdomin wrecked from g-forces / and seat-belt auto tensioner, or again, so I thought. Then sciatica hit me after the oxy script ran out. Unrelenting leg pain left me walking with a cane until I was saved by epidurals / more oxy / PT / daily stretching / exercise / pot }. It was about three years to get back to my old self. I'm now terrified of young drivers and anyone behind me. Permanantly damaged I am.

"Yeah, I'm OK" never assume this after a car crash. it could be days before symptoms show themselves.
Nerve pain is the worst, I have had more ligament tears in my joints and have had more in the tube MRI's than I can remember. On the 13th I had surgery to repair a full-thickness tear of my supraspinatus on the left shoulder, along with some other stuff I had fun damaging for the past 63 years, oxycodone for two days and I'm all good beside some minor pain and the pain in the ass of having to wear a sling for 2.5 more weeks and then 2.5 months of PT.

Last summer I had a pinched nerve in my neck that caused my BP to hit 195/125, gently touch my left arm and the pain sent me to the moon, the pain lasted for 2 months and the numb tingling in my left hand lasted for another 3 months, what really sucks is that I can't pinpoint what exactly caused the pinch nerve to flareup and I just hope that bastard never does it again.

Lol, quite a few members here are over 65. I'll be in that group the next year. Just got my rotator cuff complete tear fixed 3 weeks ago.
The point, let's purchase whatever we can sans a effin wheelchair.
The Sapphire anybody?

We call this the "organ recital". It's when the Boomers get together and share their ailments. When someone told me this I became self-aware, but somehow I do it automatically now and can't seem to stop.

Decades ago I was with the wife at Sugarbush, VT. It was bitter cold and dry with a fresh overnight dusting...and a weekday. Outstanding skiing at the most beautiful VT mountain. We took an early lunch break and watched a group of six Seniors come into the lodge. At that time Sugarbush let Seniors (over 70) ski for free: I was jealous and looking forward to being 70 myself. They came in all red-faces and dusted with powder; stomping boots and shaking hats (old school). Coats and boots came off... then an amazing thing: knee braces, elbow enhancers, all kinds of mechanical aids and devices were thrown onto the table with metalic clunks. It was both comical and astonishing. This group was all expert, life-long skiers and they weren't letting age stop them from winter fun.

Now that I've reached the golden years Sugarbush has given up the free passes.

We call this the "organ recital". It's when the Boomers get together and share their ailments. When someone told me this I became self-aware, but somehow I do it automatically now and can't seem to stop.

Decades ago I was with the wife at Sugarbush, VT. It was bitter cold and dry with a fresh overnight dusting...and a weekday. Outstanding skiing at the most beautiful VT mountain. We took an early lunch break and watched a group of six Seniors come into the lodge. At that time Sugarbush let Seniors (over 70) ski for free: I was jealous and looking forward to being 70 myself. They came in all red-faces and dusted with powder; stomping boots and shaking hats (old school). Coats and boots came off... then an amazing thing: knee braces, elbow enhancers, all kinds of mechanical aids and devices were thrown onto the table with metalic clunks. It was both comical and astonishing. This group was all expert, life-long skiers and they weren't letting age stop them from winter fun.

Yeah but you're a proud Lucid owner!! You don't need "no stinking free passes"!!

Yeah. I am 77 and play golf with others in the same general age group. About six months ago one of them mentioned he was trying to stop making old man sounds. Suddenly I was aware of the old man sounds I make. Ouch.

Now, after my hip replacement, I have to tell the TSA folks since my titanium hip will set off the metal detectors. W rarely have a full foursome as one of us is having surgery of some kind (I am currently on injured reserve). One of them is a two PhD exercise physiologist whom I call the "Bionic Man" because he has had so many parts replaced.

Having gone from a BMW 5 series to a Genesis GV60 small SUV, I think the next step for us old folks is more likely the Gravity as it won't require the full dance (like many of us old geezers I also have stenosis in my back) to get in and out. At a minimum, Lucid should activate easy entry/easy exit (the seat rolls back when you open the door and the steering wheel rises to make it easier to enter and the same when you exit). I would think that this would be an easy programming change as Lucid already has the power seats BUT I am not a programmer so what do I know (not much),

Lol, quite a few members here are over 65. I'll be in that group the next year. Just got my rotator cuff complete tear fixed 3 weeks ago.
The Sapphire anybody?
Maybe when I reach 150k miles in my AGT.
I am excited for Lucid company. My AGT anniversary is coming up.

Yeah. I am 77 and play golf with others in the same general age group. About six months ago one of them mentioned he was trying to stop making old man sounds. Suddenly I was aware of the old man sounds I make. Ouch.

Now, after my hip replacement, I have to tell the TSA folks since my titanium hip will set off the metal detectors. W rarely have a full foursome as one of us is having surgery of some kind (I am currently on injured reserve). One of them is a two PhD exercise physiologist whom I call the "Bionic Man" because he has had so many parts replaced.

Having gone from a BMW 5 series to a Genesis GV60 small SUV, I think the next step for us old folks is more likely the Gravity as it won't require the full dance (like many of us old geezers I also have stenosis in my back) to get in and out. At a minimum, Lucid should activate easy entry/easy exit (the seat rolls back when you open the door and the steering wheel rises to make it easier to enter and the same when you exit). I would think that this would be an easy programming change as Lucid already has the power seats BUT I am not a programmer so what do I know (not much),
I did not think that titanium set off metal detectors.

I have 9 titanium tooth implants and not once have they ever set off the detectors at the TSA.

I thought that the metal would have to be steel or some other iron alloy to set it off, though I never really investigated this to see if it was true or not.

I did not think that titanium set off metal detectors.

I have 9 titanium tooth implants and not once have they ever set off the detectors at the TSA.

I thought that the metal would have to be steel or some other iron alloy to set it off, though I never really investigated this to see if it was true or not.
I have had five dental implants and they never set off the detectors (although they did help my dentist buy an airplane). Titanium is non metallic but somehow the hip replacement can allegedly set off the system.

I have had five dental implants and they never set off the detectors (although they did help my dentist buy an airplane). Titanium is non metallic but somehow the hip replacement can allegedly set off the system.
Be curious to know why, unless there are some screws or plates that are also used in the procedure, though from what I understand, I thought it was just a ball and socket repair with the titanium ball fitting into the socket.

Be curious to know why, unless there are some screws or plates that are also used in the procedure, though from what I understand, I thought it was just a ball and socket repair with the titanium ball fitting into the socket.
You are correct. I actually held one in the doctor's office. He doesn't even use adhesive but lets the bones grow naturally around it. I was told that I should tell TSA that I have the metal hip (not by my surgeon). Perhaps it was bad info. But the internet says it can be identified and we all know that the internet is foolproof.

The Sapphire anybody?
Maybe when I reach 150k miles in my AGT.
I am excited for Lucid company. My AGT anniversary is coming up.

My knee replacement definitely sets of the security system at the airport in the express/'TSA PreCheck" lanes. I always need to have the full body scan performed.

My knee replacement definitely sets of the security system at the airport in the express/'TSA PreCheck" lanes. I always need to have the full body scan performed.
Yes, but does your knee replacement use titanium or some other metal alloy which is magnetic and will set off the machines at TSA?

I think this may have to do with the "crumple zone" on the child's ill-advised hot rod (looks like a WRX ? = parent's asking for trouble). Looks like he hit a strong point on your Dream Edition, whilst his took the hit "head on", where a car is designed to absorb energy to save occupants. Glad to hear you are all OK.

but:
{for context: I was rear-ended by a drunk kid whilst I was stopped at a red light. His Neon had nothing in front of the firewall = completely crushed like a bier can, and I drove home. My rare Silver Arrow Edition R-129 was totaled but drivable ... auto roll bar deployed and auto-tensioner seat belts locked, enough force to tweek the Merc. so hard top would not fit / wheel scraping bent-in fender, etc... but everythng worked and drivable, and not even noticible unless you looked closely. Here's the thing:
The EMT questioned me about "you sure you don't want a ride to the ER?" to which I replied 'no thanks, I"m OK" I was holding my chest area unconsciously.... they hung around next to me ??? waiting for a pay-day I thought. But I drove home anyway because I did not want to leave my dream car to the vultures. Three hours later I woke, felt a bit sore around my belly (substantial at that time), got out of bed for a pissah, and felt the worst pain ever trying to get there (went to eleven)= spasms that were so powerful I soon blacked-out from the pain and collapsed against the bathroom door. My spouse heard this but could not open the door as I had fallen against it. When I came too I couldn't move for the pain, tried to, and blacked-out again. Next time I came to wife threatened to call ambulance, so I managed to get it together and fight the pain. At the ER it went " ALL HANDS ON DECK" and every tech = doctor in the place ran to me. OK = " 65 yo obese male w/ chest pain " apparently rings the heart attack bells. I took three IV dilaudid doses to get me to the cat scan table. Got a week of oxy (that stuff is amazing). No major damage other than all muscles/tendons/connective tissue around abdomin wrecked from g-forces / and seat-belt auto tensioner, or again, so I thought. Then sciatica hit me after the oxy script ran out. Unrelenting leg pain left me walking with a cane until I was saved by epidurals / more oxy / PT / daily stretching / exercise / pot }. It was about three years to get back to my old self. I'm now terrified of young drivers and anyone behind me. Permanantly damaged I am.

"Yeah, I'm OK" never assume this after a car crash. it could be days before symptoms show themselves.
As a physician I can man-splain to you why they were so freaked out. In any deceleration event like a car crash, whether you were hit from behind or in front, your organs inside your body keep moving at the same speed the vehicle was after the vehicle has stopped, as that’s just the laws of physics, force being transferred from one object to another, so the shear forces are crazy high in any car accident. Anyone who loses consciousness and has back or abdomen or chest pain after a collision is very high suspicion for aortic dissection, or if their chest hit the steering wheel then there’s concern for cardiac contusion. So that should buy you a trip to the ER 100% of the time if they’re doing their job. My step grandmother was actually killed from an aortic dissection from a head on collision (my grandfather who was also an MD was driving a Subaru outback, and an opiate addict nodded off on a back country road and hit them head on, he barely survived but was in the ICU for 2 months and rehab for 6). Any new pain combined with a change in mental status shortly after a vehicle crash should be treated as an emergency.

As a physician I can man-splain to you why they were so freaked out. In any deceleration event like a car crash, whether you were hit from behind or in front, your organs inside your body keep moving at the same speed the vehicle was after the vehicle has stopped, as that’s just the laws of physics, force being transferred from one object to another, so the shear forces are crazy high in any car accident. Anyone who loses consciousness and has back or abdomen or chest pain after a collision is very high suspicion for aortic dissection, or if their chest hit the steering wheel then there’s concern for cardiac contusion. So that should buy you a trip to the ER 100% of the time if they’re doing their job. My step grandmother was actually killed from an aortic dissection from a head on collision (my grandfather who was also an MD was driving a Subaru outback, and an opiate addict nodded off on a back country road and hit them head on, he barely survived but was in the ICU for 2 months and rehab for 6). Any new pain combined with a change in mental status shortly after a vehicle crash should be treated as an emergency.

Very good advice.

Regarding our collision, I just got the preliminary repair estimate for the damages visible without dismantling anything. The car won't be "opened up" until it is first examined by the State Farm estimator, at which point additional damage estimates will be added if any other problems are found.

$57,072.83.

There is an aluminum casting called a "horseshoe" through which the front axle passes which has not yet been examined. If it is damaged, it is not reparable and results in the car being deemed a total loss, regardless of the cost estimate of other repairs.

Regarding our collision, I just got the preliminary repair estimate for the damages visible without dismantling anything. The car won't be "opened up" until it is first examined by the State Farm estimator, at which point additional damage estimates will be added if any other problems are found.

$57,072.83.

There is an aluminum casting called a "horseshoe" through which the front axle passes which has not yet been examined. If it is damaged, it is not reparable and results in the car being deemed a total loss, regardless of the cost estimate of other repairs.
So what are you hoping for? I assume total loss? And you should spring for the Sapphire!

Back