• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Luck o' the Irish

hmp so sorry to hear about your accident but the most important thing is nobody was hurt!! That said, I know how much you love your car and as you said it is most likely going to be a long road to full recovery and you back to driving it. Good luck and hope you get everything fully resolved to your satisfaction!!

Just heard from the insurance company. They have assigned 100% liability to the driver of the Subaru.

Now things get complicated. Lucid only has three authorized repair facilities in Florida: in Orlando, Miami, and West Palm Beach. So the car will have to be flat-bedded to Miami or West Palm Beach. As these facilities are not in the insurance company's network, the insurance company has to set up procedures to work with them. All the body work is first done on the car, then the car has to go to Lucid's Riviera Beach Service Center to have the battery pack and electronics checked out.

Somewhere in this mix, the installer of the Radenso radar system has to be brought into the loop to restore that system, for which insurance will pay. They say it's normally the body shop that does that coordination, but our installer is on the other side of the state. So I don't know how that's going to work.

I asked about payment for loss of resale value. State Farm's position is that there is no loss of value if the car is properly repaired. I begged to differ, and they said they would look at any documentation of such loss I could provide them. They did not say what would suffice as documentation on something so speculative.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long road.
Diminished value is a real thing as the accident will show up on your Carfax report for the vehicle and if you were to try to trade it in / sell it to Carmax / etc, the value of the vehicle would be dinged. Also, you should pressure for a a comparable rental vehicle (although I doubt you'll get another Lucid). With the current state of insurance repairs, you may be out of your vehicle for MONTHS. At least everyone is OK and the vehicle did it's job to protect you and your wife!

Are you okay? Glad the car did its job. I also echo the fact that the customer service was not good. This crash in my opinion shows how the weight of electric cars cause more damage to the opposing car, as it looks like the lucid does not have a scratch on it.

Well, it's a bit more than a scratch, but the structure of the car really held up. As near as I could tell last night, there was no deformity or even changes in panel gaps anywhere aft of the A pillars or inside the cabin.

PXL_20230317_020821501.jpg

Well, it's a bit more than a scratch, but the structure of the car really held up. As near as I could tell last night, there was no deformity or even changes in panel gaps anywhere aft of the A pillars or inside the cabin.
I wonder what the fluid loss is in the front of your vehicle? Doesn't seem enough to be battery coolant ... unfortunately the damage looks pretty severe.

View attachment 10601
I’ve gotta guy who can buff that out. 😎

I really hope that Subaru has a large policy limit. When my Panamera GTS was totaled the kid that hit me only had 25k worth of coverage, so everything went through my company.

I asked about payment for loss of resale value. State Farm's position is that there is no loss of value if the car is properly repaired. I begged to differ, and they said they would look at any documentation of such loss I could provide them. They did not say what would suffice as documentation on something so speculative.
The insurance term is "diminished value" to reflect the fact that buyers won't pay the same amount for a used car that has been in an accident as they would for one that was not. Florida law does recognize diminished value claims.

So, glad you are okay. I never wish any of us would have to face this situation...
Please keep us posted about the insurance thing...

Diminished value is a real thing as the accident will show up on your Carfax report for the vehicle and if you were to try to trade it in / sell it to Carmax / etc, the value of the vehicle would be dinged. Also, you should pressure for a a comparable rental vehicle (although I doubt you'll get another Lucid). With the current state of insurance repairs, you may be out of your vehicle for MONTHS. At least everyone is OK and the vehicle did it's job to protect you and your wife!

I took Bobby's advice and checked out Florida's diminished value statute. While a claim can be advanced, the kind of statistical sales data that is used to advance these claims is largely missing for a car as limited in number as an Air Dream Edition. While the statute recognizes the concept of non-specific loss of value, it still requires some objective support for the actual amount of the diminution of value.

The dust is starting to settle around how things will proceed, and it's considerably more complicated than when one of my Audi R8's was damaged when a guy switched lanes into me at the time that car was even rarer than it is today. I was paid $7,500 for diminished value in that incident by the other driver's insurer, Nationwide. It seems State Farm takes a harder line and might put up more of a fight. It also seems that a lot of these claims in Florida only get settled through litigation.

The repair shop in West Palm Beach is near the Riviera Beach Service Center, and they have done the most Lucid repair in Florida. To certify a repair facility, Lucid requires that their personnel train in California at a Lucid facility. The shop coordinates with a manager at Lucid who oversees the repair process at Lucid's end. They have already sent Lucid the VIN of the car, and the car will be shut down remotely by Lucid at various points as needed during repair. At this point, the repair shop wants to take full control of the repair process, and they have arranged to cancel State Farm's plans to get the car across the state and instead send their own covered truck.

Looking only at the photos I sent, the shop is saying it's possible the insurer might decide to total the car. They're saying that just the visible damage could reach into the $60-70K range, with a good chunk of it being due to all the airbags in the car deploying. It remains to be seen if there are any damages under the skin.

I wonder what the fluid loss is in the front of your vehicle? Doesn't seem enough to be battery coolant ... unfortunately the damage looks pretty severe.

That fluid was from the Subaru. He lost his radiator, and his engine was making pretty alarming sounds as he pulled the car to the side of the road.

I took Bobby's advice and checked out Florida's diminished value statute. While a claim can be advanced, the kind of statistical sales data that is used to advance these claims is largely missing for a car as limited in number as an Air Dream Edition. While the statute recognizes the concept of non-specific loss of value, it still requires some objective support for the actual amount of the diminution of value.

The dust is starting to settle around how things will proceed, and it's considerably more complicated than when one of my Audi R8's was damaged when a guy switched lanes into me at the time that car was even rarer than it is today. I was paid $7,500 for diminished value in that incident by the other driver's insurer, Nationwide. It seems State Farm takes a harder line and might put up more of a fight. It also seems that a lot of these claims in Florida only get settled through litigation.

The repair shop in West Palm Beach is near the Riviera Beach Service Center, and they have done the most Lucid repair in Florida. To certify a repair facility, Lucid requires that their personnel train in California at a Lucid facility. The shop coordinates with a manager at Lucid who oversees the repair process at Lucid's end. They have already sent Lucid the VIN of the car, and the car will be shut down remotely by Lucid at various points as needed during repair. At this point, the repair shop wants to take full control of the repair process, and they have arranged to cancel State Farm's plans to get the car across the state and instead send their own covered truck.

Looking only at the photos I sent, the shop is saying it's possible the insurer might decide to total the car. They're saying that just the visible damage could reach into the $60-70K range, with a good chunk of it being due to all the airbags in the car deploying. It remains to be seen if there are any damages under the skin.

That fluid was from the Subaru. He lost his radiator, and his engine was making pretty alarming sounds as he pulled the car to the side of the road.
I was just thinking...if they total out your car, it's the perfect excuse to upgrade to the Sapphire...just saying =)

Really sorry to hear about this. Happily nobody was hurt. I feel for you and agree it's going to be a long road back to getting the car back on the road.

Best of luck to you guys.

I was just thinking...if they total out your car, it's the perfect excuse to upgrade to the Sapphire...just saying =)
It may be faster to get a new GTP than the time it would take to fix your current vehicle.

Also, you should pressure for a a comparable rental vehicle (although I doubt you'll get another Lucid). With the current state of insurance repairs, you may be out of your vehicle for MONTHS.

We have other cars, so I'm not going to bother with a rental. However, the repair shop said that, if the car's reparable, it will be out of service for at least 2-3 months.

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.

Uh oh, now we better take a closer look at the causative factors of this accident. JK. ;)

Again, happy everyone is OK.

I'm actually hoping for the repair. As much as I obsess over the powertrains of cars, I have absolutely fallen in love with the Santa Monica interior of the Dream. For the first time in my life, that has become a big factor in the car I want.

I'm actually hoping for the repair. As much as I obsess over the powertrains of cars, I have absolutely fallen in love with the Santa Monica interior of the Dream. For the first time in my life, that has become a big factor in the car I want.
Maybe reach out to Zak Edson, and ask him to slide that into your Sapphire...

Somewhere in this mix, the installer of the Radenso radar system has to be brought into the loop to restore that system, for which insurance will pay. They say it's normally the body shop that does that coordination, but our installer is on the other side of the state. So I don't know how that's going to work.
Just had to deal with this; insurance will pay for either your installer to come out to the shop or for a tow back and forth. It was coordinated by my body shop.

Car was out for about 2 months or so, and that’s after it sat waiting for parts for about 4-6 weeks, because mine was drivable and airbags didn’t deploy.

So sorry to hear about this.

Glad you and yours are ok, and the Air held up well in the impact.

In another life, I was at EDS when they developed the OnStar system for GM. Later, the service was contracted to other manufacturers, Lexus amongst others. Perhaps Lucid should contract an emergency response service as a result of an airbag deployment while they ramp up their own call center.

View attachment 10601
I also just had an accident with my AGT. Someone came flying through a side street and I swerved to get around him(which I did) and slammed into the side of a curb. I got out of the car and it looked like just my wheel rims were damaged and some flaying of the tires on the front and back passenger side against the curb. Surprisingly the 21 inch Pirellis were not deflated .No exterior damage to the car that I could see. Since I was just a mile from home, I started to drive the car, and it felt like I had some resistance to the accelerator pedal. When I turned into my street, I heard a loud boom and it felt like my tire was jammed against the wheel well. I managed to get the car into my garage. Roadside assistance told me they would be there at 9:00am the next morning. Later I went to look at the car and I saw blue fluid leaking out. I shoved some towels under the car and went to bed.
Next day waited for Roadside which never showed up. They called me and said they would arrive a 6pm. Never showed up then either. Now I pulled the car out of the garage to put on the street next to my house. Heard a deep grinding of the wheel and now reddish brown fluid came gushing out from under the front of the car.
Roadside finally arrived after 2 days and trucked my car from Portland Oregon to the Lucid Center in Seattle. Talked with Christine in Seattle who could not be nicer. She told me the blue fluid was windwasher fluid and the brown fluid was battery coolant and that it looked like my AGT might also have a damaged axle. She told me she will give me a full report after this weekend and hopefully the beginning of next week.
Fortunately I have an excellent insurance Co called PURE. My policy covers rental not on days but on total dollars. They will pay up to $15,000 dollars toward the cost of a rental, so I can choose what I want from Enterprise. At present they have a Tesla for $150 dollars/day. I will be switching that out for Polestar for $100 dollars a day on Monday to help insure I don't run out of rental car days, as of this point I have no idea how long it will take to fix it.
Shit happens, but so far Lucid and my PURE insurance have both been exceptionally nice. Roadside could and should have been better. Don't know what would have happened if I could not get the car home(1 mile away). As I was not hurt and the airbags did not deploy as well as the exterior of my car appears untouched, I am somewhat grateful in that it could have been worse. The car that cut me off was long gone by the time I realized what had happened. I was glad I was able to avoid crashing into him. Now the long wait to get my AGT back.

Back