Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
Coming home from dinner the evening before St. Patrick's Day:

PXL_20230317_020000233.jpg

PXL_20230317_020620715.jpg

Last night we were driving home when a pickup truck made a left turn in front of us. The truck had plenty of room and cleared the intersection safely. But right on his tail following him through the turn was a Subaru WRX driven by a young kid. We did not see him until it was too late, and he later told the police he did not see us because his view was blocked by the pickup. The police found him 100% at fault for failure to yield right of way.

The kid was actually quite polite. The first thing he said getting out of the car was to ask if we were all right. (We were.) Then he apologized profusely. He called his parents who came to the scene and were also just as nice. I ended up feeling really sorry for the kid. This was his first car, which he had only had three weeks. And I can't imagine what this is going to do to his insurance rates for the next few years. (We ere both with State Farm.)

A few observations from the incident:

While pretty much everything forward of the A pillar in the Air is damaged, the car fared considerably better than the Subaru. Even the left front wheel nearest the impact point shows no damage. Nothing aft of the A pillar seems out of line. In short . . . built like a tank.

All the airbags did their job. Even though it was a relatively low speed collision, neither of us in the Air had any discomfort from the activation of the airbags.

After the police arrived and took in the scene, they asked us to move the cars out of the intersection. The Subaru could be moved, but the Air was giving us a "Drive System Failure" message and would not go into gear. However, when the tow truck arrived almost an hour later, the driver was able to drive the Air up onto the flatbed.

While we were waiting for the tow truck, I called Lucid to find out what authorized repair facility the car should be towed to. I also wanted any advice they might give me about moving the car. Having experienced long waits with Customer Service calls, I punched in Roadside Assistance on the IVR. They answered quickly. However, it turns out they are a contract service and could not tell me which were the authorized repair shops in our region. They told me to hold while they switched me over to Lucid Customer Service. I remained on hold over 20 minutes and finally had to hang up as the police needed to go over some things with me. After that was done, I called Lucid Customer Service again and again was left on hold. When the two truck arrived more than a half hour later, I was still on hold for Customer Service and, once again, just hung up. Right now the car is at a tow lot, leaving me hoping that phantom drain does not kill the battery before I can get the car someplace where it can be plugged in.

Conclusions:

The car is very well built.

Customer Service is useless in such a situation.

So sorry to hear about this. But I'm glad everyone is okay.

View attachment 10591
View attachment 10592

Last night we were driving home when a pickup truck made a left turn in front of us. The truck had plenty of room and cleared the intersection safely. But right on his tail following him through the turn was a Subaru WRX driven by a young kid. We did not see him until it was too late, and he later told the police he did not see us because his view was blocked by the pickup. The police found him 100% at fault for failure to yield right of way.

The kid was actually quite polite. The first thing he said getting out of the car was to ask if we were all right. (We were.) Then he apologized profusely. He called his parents who came to the scene and were also just as nice. I ended up feeling really sorry for the kid. This was his first car, which he had only had three weeks. And I can't imagine what this is going to do to his insurance rates for the next few years. (We ere both with State Farm.)

While pretty much everything forward of the A pillar in the Air is damaged, the car fared considerably better than the Subaru. Even the left front wheel nearest the impact point shows no damage. Nothing aft of the A pillar seems out of line. In short . . . built like a tank.

All the airbags did their job. Even though it was a relatively low speed collision, neither of us in the Air had any discomfort from the activation of the airbags.

After the police arrived and took in the scene, they asked us to move the cars out of the intersection. The Subaru could be moved, but the Air was giving us a "Drive System Failure" message and would not go into gear. However, when the tow truck arrived almost an hour later, the driver was able to drive the Air up onto the flatbed.

While we were waiting for the tow truck, I called Lucid to find out what authorized repair facility the car should be towed to. I also wanted any advice they might give me about moving the car. Having experienced long waits with Customer Service calls, I punched in Roadside Assistance on the IVR. They answered quickly. However, it turns out they are a contract service and could not tell me which were the authorized repair shops in our region. They told me to hold while they switched me over to Lucid Customer Service. I remained on hold over 20 minutes and finally had to hang up as the police needed to go over some things with me. After that was done, I called Lucid Customer Service again and again was left on hold. When the two truck arrived more than a half hour later, I was still on hold for Customer Service and, once again, just hung up. Right now the car is at a tow lot, leaving me hoping that phantom drain does not kill the battery before I can get the car someplace where it can be plugged in.

Conclusions:

Damnnnnnnnnn @hmp10 . Glad to hear you guys are okay! I hope it gets resolved for you quickly.

View attachment 10591
View attachment 10592

Conclusions:

Oh no. I’m so glad you are both OK. It looks like the car did its job and protected you.

As far as the customer service goes, it looks like they did NOT do THEIR job as well as necessary given the situation.

Lucid often says that they did not benchmark Tesla when designing this car. They more benchmarked the Mercedes S-class and other similar competitors. So, let me relate a similar Mercedes story: a few years ago, driving my SL 55 in blinding rain, I drove through a huge pothole. It was enough to damage the entire front clip and rip the entire right front wheel and part of the attached suspension off the car. The rollbar and the airbags deployed. It wasn’t two minutes before my phone was ringing and it was Mercedes telling me that they had had a report of an airbag deployment. They were wondering if everything is OK. Customer service sent over a tow vehicle which arrived quickly.

They. Called. Me.

I have 100% faith in the Lucid leadership that they will rise to this level. Turns out that starting a car company is kind of difficult. Looking forward to the days ahead!

Glad you are okay! I hope everything gets repaired to your satisfaction.

Lucid, if you’re reading this, they are way too many stories of poor customer service. I’m not sure if you are understaffed, undertrained, or overwhelmed. Please, please fix this!

At a minimum, their IVR system should have an option for "If you have just been involved in an accident but do not need roadside assistance, press ______ to talk to a representative immediately". There are some things that you should not do with an EV after a collision.

At this point, I have no idea whether to see if the tow company has a place to plug in the car if I take the charge cable to them, as I'm not sure it's safe to do so until the battery pack is checked out.

Last edited:
At a minimum, their IVR system should have an option for "If you have just been involved in an accident but do not need roadside assistance, press ______ to talk to a representative immediately". There are some things that you should not do with an EV after a collision.

At this point, I have no idea whether to see if the tow company has a place to plug in the car if I take the charge cable to them, as I'm not sure it's safe to do so until the battery pack is checked out.
I am glad that everyone is OK. I agree that customer care needs to be reachable very quickly for situations like this. I am guessing that the fuses to the HV battery may have blown since the airbags deployed meaning there is no way to charge the HV pack and there is no HV power to help recharge the 12V system. Yes customer care needs to let you know next steps.

I am glad that everyone is OK. I agree that customer care needs to be reachable very quickly for situations like this. I am guessing that the fuses to the HV battery may have blown since the airbags deployed meaning there is no way to charge the HV pack and there is no HV power to help recharge the 12V system. Yes customer care needs to let you know next steps.

I know Teslas have a fuse that blows in a collision to isolate all the high-voltage systems in the car. I assumed that was why I could not move the car after the collision.

However, I was surprised an hour later to see the tow truck driver drive the car up the ramp onto the flatbed instead of winching it.

I'm going to try to reach Customer Service today to see if they can shed any light . . . but I'm not going to try until I'm in the mood to stay on hold for God knows how long.

Interesting that the left rear window shade raised itself in the collision. Even though there were no passengers in the rear seat, the rear curtain airbags deployed. I'm guessing that somehow triggered the window switch?

So glad everyone is okay.

This incident reflects everything one hears in this forum: Great car to drive; problematic customer service and software.

If and once Lucid figures the latter out, it will be making one hell of a car.

Are you okay? Glad the car did its job. I also echo the fact that the customer service was not good. This crash in my opinion shows how the weight of electric cars cause more damage to the opposing car, as it looks like the lucid does not have a scratch on it.

View attachment 10591
View attachment 10592

Conclusions:

Omg, I can’t believe this! I’m so happy that everyone is ok. Once those airbags go off, everything changes in value. I hope that insurance gets you a new car. Also, please take it easy for a few days. I walked away from an accident like that and didn’t know how hurt I was for a couple days.

Please keep us posted.

Omg, I can’t believe this! I’m so happy that everyone is ok. Once those airbags go off, everything changes in value. I hope that insurance gets you a new car. Also, please take it easy for a few days. I walked away from an accident like that and didn’t know how hurt I was for a couple days.

Please keep us posted.
A new car? It looks like it just needs a repair, pretty minor. However if the 12v battery failure is anything to go by some electronics may need to be replaced.

Really sorry to hear of the accident @hmp10 but glad to hear you and your family are ok. Thank you again for taking the time to post and reassure everyone in the Lucid community. Your sincere and genuine efforts to provide a realistic picture of Lucid's capabilities is such a gift for all of us who want to not only embrace Lucid but also see it succeed. Thanks and wishing you a quick resolution !

Just heard from the insurance company. They have assigned 100% liability to the driver of the Subaru.

Now things get complicated. Lucid only has three authorized repair facilities in Florida: in Orlando, Miami, and West Palm Beach. So the car will have to be flat-bedded to Miami or West Palm Beach. As these facilities are not in the insurance company's network, the insurance company has to set up procedures to work with them. All the body work is first done on the car, then the car has to go to Lucid's Riviera Beach Service Center to have the battery pack and electronics checked out.

Somewhere in this mix, the installer of the Radenso radar system has to be brought into the loop to restore that system, for which insurance will pay. They say it's normally the body shop that does that coordination, but our installer is on the other side of the state. So I don't know how that's going to work.

I asked about payment for loss of resale value. State Farm's position is that there is no loss of value if the car is properly repaired. I begged to differ, and they said they would look at any documentation of such loss I could provide them. They did not say what would suffice as documentation on something so speculative.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long road.

Just heard from the insurance company. They have assigned 100% liability to the driver of the Subaru.

Now things get complicated. Lucid only has three authorized repair facilities in Florida: in Orlando, Miami, and West Palm Beach. So the car will have to be flat-bedded to Miami or West Palm Beach. As these facilities are not in the insurance company's network, the insurance company has to set up procedures to work with them. All the body work is first done on the car, then the car has to go to Lucid's Riviera Beach Service Center to have the battery pack and electronics checked out.

Somewhere in this mix, the installer of the Radenso radar system has to be brought into the loop to restore that system, for which insurance will pay. They say it's normally the body shop that does that coordination, but our installer is on the other side of the state. So I don't know how that's going to work.

I asked about payment for loss of resale value. State Farm's position is that there is no loss of value if the car is properly repaired. I begged to differ, and they said they would look at any documentation of such loss I could provide them. They did not say what would suffice as documentation on something so speculative.

I do feel really sorry for that kid. His insurance rates in the future..

Glad to hear no serious injury here.
Hopefully, only transient musculoskeletal pain.

So glad everyone is okay.

This incident reflects everything one hears in this forum: Great car to drive; problematic customer service and software.

If and once Lucid figures the latter out, it will be making one hell of a car.
What does software have to do with any of this?

Glad you're ok, @hmp10!

Look up the “diminished value” laws in your state.

Back