The good, bad and the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sorry report. I feel for you. ICE cars can completely fail but it is less common.

IMO EVs are excellent choices for someone who is going to primarily drive it around an area but not major intercity routes. For example, the greater Phoenix area is huge (Phoenix alone is greater than 500 square miles) but with a 235 mile range, charging to 80% every night, driving like I stole it and doing about 1,000 miles a month, I still have never come close to running my battery down to 20%. A trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas, Los Angeles or San Diego by car is only around 5-6 hours in an ICE car which is comparable to flying time (getting in and out of airports, waiting, etc.). But on a recent trip to Las Vegas, I used an ICE vehicle. I see two problems for someone doing repeated intercity trips: the charging network on the highway but equally important is what does one do when one is now in a different city without a garage with an EVSE. I think, for now, it is just too much of a hassle to do these kinds of trips with an EV.

But I don't do them often so I can and do drive an EV and love it and rent an ICE vehicle when I need to do the long distance trip. In a few years, hopefully, the charging network will be good enough to use EVs for these trips.

Unfortunately, you look like someone who needs to wait a while to use an EV.

A sorry report. I feel for you. ICE cars can completely fail but it is less common.

IMO EVs are excellent choices for someone who is going to primarily drive it around an area but not major intercity routes. For example, the greater Phoenix area is huge (Phoenix alone is greater than 500 square miles) but with a 235 mile range, charging to 80% every night, driving like I stole it and doing about 1,000 miles a month, I still have never come close to running my battery down to 20%. A trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas, Los Angeles or San Diego by car is only around 5-6 hours in an ICE car which is comparable to flying time (getting in and out of airports, waiting, etc.). But on a recent trip to Las Vegas, I used an ICE vehicle. I see two problems for someone doing repeated intercity trips: the charging network on the highway but equally important is what does one do when one is now in a different city without a garage with an EVSE. I think, for now, it is just too much of a hassle to do these kinds of trips with an EV.

But I don't do them often so I can and do drive an EV and love it and rent an ICE vehicle when I need to do the long distance trip. In a few years, hopefully, the charging network will be good enough to use EVs for these trips.

Curious where you get your failure rate data for ICE vs EV from?

A trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas, Los Angeles or San Diego by car is only around 5-6 hours in an ICE car which is comparable to flying time (getting in and out of airports, waiting, etc.). But on a recent trip to Las Vegas, I used an ICE vehicle. I see two problems for someone doing repeated intercity trips: the charging network on the highway but equally important is what does one do when one is now in a different city without a garage with an EVSE. I think, for now, it is just too much of a hassle to do these kinds of trips with an EV.
If you cannot drive from Phoenix to Vegas or Phoenix to LA in an EV as easily as you can an ICE car, perhaps you purchased the wrong EV and that opinion may be better shared on a Genesis forum.

In my video, posted elsewhere here on the forum, I drove from Phoenix to San Diego and arrived with 19% remaining. Not a hassle at all. This was the number one reason I purchased a Lucid rather than the other EV on the market… Range. Every other EV pales in comparison. It’s easy to argue about little software features and all, but there’s no EV that comes even close to Lucid when it comes to what really matters: the driving experience and the range.

If you cannot drive from Phoenix to Vegas or Phoenix to LA in an EV as easily as you can an ICE car, perhaps you purchased the wrong EV and that opinion may be better shared on a Genesis forum.
Not for me. Once I got there I was in an AirBnB. Had to go to the airport to pick up my daughter and her family. Then back to the AirBnB. Then drive back and forth to Summerlin where my niece lives repeatedly during the stay. The n a trip to the Red Rocks to hike. Then back to the airport. Back to the AirBnB. back to Scottsdale. Etc. Etc. Neither the AirBnB nor my niece had an EVSE.

Yes...the Lucid could have gotten me there but I would have had the charging issues in Vegas. I think it is the time one spends at the destination that kills the usefulness of EVs, even Lucid DEs, for those kinds of trips.

Once the charging network gets up to speed (I hope), then the Lucid range advantage will play out meaning less often stops for charging. A huge advantage for Tesla is that it has many in city charging spots. For example, there is one near me at Scottsdale Quarter. Another at the strip shopping center at the 101 and Shea. And many more. So if one is driving a Tesla, and makes an intercity trip, there are lots of opportunities to charge at the destination.

Not for me. Once I got there I was in an AirBnB. Had to go to the airport to pick up my daughter and her family. Then back to the AirBnB. Then drive back and forth to Summerlin where my niece lives repeatedly during the stay. The n a trip to the Red Rocks to hike. Then back to the airport. Back to the AirBnB. back to Scottsdale. Etc. Etc. Neither the AirBnB nor my niece had an EVSE.

Yes...the Lucid could have gotten me there but I would have had the charging issues in Vegas. I think it is the time one spends at the destination that kills the usefulness of EVs, even Lucid DEs, for those kinds of trips.

Once the charging network gets up to speed (I hope), then the Lucid range advantage will play out meaning less often stops for charging. A huge advantage for Tesla is that it has many in city charging spots. For example, there is one near me at Scottsdale Quarter. Another at the strip shopping center at the 101 and Shea. And many more. So if one is driving a Tesla, and makes an intercity trip, there are lots of opportunities to charge at the destination.
I've never booked an Airbnb without an EVSE nowadays. Add that to your criteria!

I've never booked an Airbnb without an EVSE nowadays. Add that to your criteria!
Unfortunately there are Airbnb wastelands without any good/reasonably priced options for EV charging, like the West Palm Beach, FL area, or even up in Monterey/Carmel.

All cars have failures. Any metropolitan area it would be more rare to do a commute and not see any cars broken down along the highway than to see cars on the side of the highway.

With the Lucid, Phoenix to Las Vegas is an easy trip. 300 miles no stop required.

I have not had any problems charging at destinations. I've done trips spending no additional time charging compared to gas as I charged at hotels while sleeping.

Had many 600 mile days with just one charging stop.

Yes, ICE is still more convenient and takes less planning, but the Lucid is a great road trip car. It's worth a few minutes to plan charging to enjoy the car on the road.

Could be Vegas or Birmingham, Alabama, not hard to charge at destination.

EA has not been problem free, but I've always been able to charge.

IMG_2493.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 2.03.12 PM.jpeg

Nonsense. As mentioned in another thread, your issues with range anxiety and charging anxiety stem from your choice of vehicle. I have the same concerns with the much lower-range Ioniq 5, roughly the same car as your GV60.

Those same concerns simply do not apply to the Lucid. There are plenty of chargers, and even if one doesn’t work I can just go to the next one because I have excess range. With the Ioniq, that option doesn’t exist and is much riskier.

Please consider that your experiences with “an EV” may not apply to others’ experiences with *this* EV.

I don't understand the point here. It is well established that Tesla has more chargers than non-Tesla. Who cares? Unless you are routinely driving long distances it makes zero difference. I have 22,000 miles on my car and I've never had an issue with charging, at home on the road. It just takes a little bit of planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back