Lucid vs Tesla self drive software

Wow, I had a MS and have a totally different opinion. With today’s Teslas you have to take your eyes off the road for virtually everything. That’s far from ergonomic, in fact that’s very ‘unergonomic’. I almost expect the next gen Tesla to have a steering wheel on the screen. ;)
Hmm - totally disagree. With my refresh Model S with yoke steering wheel, I barely take my eyes ever off the road in front of me. You can see the drivers infortainment console so easily, it is almost like having HUD (have and love HUD on our BMW X5). I can change the temp by scrolling on the left wheel, audio controls, etc.. Same with FSD, turn it off or on without looking away. Anything else that you might look away from the road to use would be no different than any other car. So, IMHO, very ergonomic. 🙂

Hmm - totally disagree. With my refresh Model S with yoke steering wheel, I barely take my eyes ever off the road in front of me. You can see the drivers infortainment console so easily, it is almost like having HUD (have and love HUD on our BMW X5). I can change the temp by scrolling on the left wheel, audio controls, etc.. Same with FSD, turn it off or on without looking away. Anything else that you might look away from the road to use would be no different than any other car. So, IMHO, very ergonomic. 🙂
Try turning on or adjusting the wipers without using the screen, for example.

My main issue with the S is the UX. Some others will disagree, but where I find the Air to be overwhelmingly ergonomic (though not perfect), and I can turn off the pilot panel or hide it without ever needing to use it for a drive, until I need to park… it is very much a driver’s cabin.

The UX of the Lucid software makes way more sense to me than Tesla’s too - a list of words with no context as to why they are in the list is not, to me, good UX. It is unintuitive, and while I can simply search for everything, I should have to.

And yes, this is opinion, and that’s okay too. I’m glad you enjoy your Model S. Someone has to ;) :p

One of these days I will book a ride in one just to see what it is like. They seem very safe; if they encounter something they are not capable of handling, they appear to simply freeze which, while not grea t, is better than an accident.
I’ve ridden in one a few times in SF and honestly it was the most relaxing ride share experience I’ve ever had in my life.

I was extremely impressed. My wife loved it especially, because she’s an introvert, and there was *no driver* to have to figure out how to make small talk with.

There’s a day and night difference between their ADAS capabilities / software, unfortunately. I’d say on highways, Lucid today is at best similar to very early 2018 Tesla AP2 / AP2.5. Yet, the Lucid is better than most non-Tesla cars. Outside highways, Lucid only has adaptive cruise, so worse than a Corolla.

However, for anything non-ADAS/software, there’s also a day and night difference between the Lucid and (any) Tesla. The Lucid is out-of-this-world good. The Model 3, and even S, I’d dare say, are closer to a Corolla than a Lucid.

Try turning on or adjusting the wipers without using the screen, for example.

My main issue with the S is the UX. Some others will disagree, but where I find the Air to be overwhelmingly ergonomic (though not perfect), and I can turn off the pilot panel or hide it without ever needing to use it for a drive, until I need to park… it is very much a driver’s cabin.

The UX of the Lucid software makes way more sense to me than Tesla’s too - a list of words with no context as to why they are in the list is not, to me, good UX. It is unintuitive, and while I can simply search for everything, I should have to.

And yes, this is opinion, and that’s okay too. I’m glad you enjoy your Model S. Someone has to ;) :p
Huh? Push the little wiper button with your right thumb. Requires nothing more - if you want it to go faster scroll with the left scroll wheel - no screen required. And for Lucken - the model S has a screen right in front of the driver so you don’t need to look to the right for anything while driving.

It’s okay to like Lucid and still give Tesla credit for a better software suite. I guess if you want to change every setting in the car while you are going 80 on the highway, then yeah, screens and menus are worse overall (for all cars). But once you are moving, you shouldn’t need to do any of that at all.

Huh? Push the little wiper button with your right thumb. Requires nothing more - if you want it to go faster scroll with the left scroll wheel - no screen required.
Just watched a video, and they seem to have finally changed it, and taken advantage of showing the speeds on the screen in front of you. In the 3, and the former S, it would appear on the center screen and you’d have to know to look there, which nobody (including me) ever did. It was very discoverable. Glad they fixed it.

Anyway, it was one example of many.

And for Lucken - the model S has a screen right in front of the driver so you don’t need to look to the right for anything while driving.
This is the reason the 3 was always a non-starter for me. At least the S has a speedo in front of me.

It’s okay to like Lucid and still give Tesla credit for a better software suite.
Sure, I totally agree. I simply do not prefer Tesla’s software. I never have, even before Lucid. It’s why I never bought one. I’ve driven plenty; I simply don’t like their UX.

That also has to be okay. It’s okay to like Tesla’s software suite and accept that I (and others) don’t. :)

I guess if you want to change every setting in the car while you are going 80 on the highway, then yeah, screens and menus are worse overall (for all cars). But once you are moving, you shouldn’t need to do any of that at all.
The problem is for things you need to do while moving that you have muscle memory for. The wipers were one example (which they’ve fixed, seemingly, which is great) but that wasn’t the first or last time I was burnt on the highway trying to find how to do some specific thing. The number of times we’ve rented an S or 3 and I’ve had to yell to my wife to look up how to do a thing is very very high.

And it’s not exclusively a Tesla problem; lots of manufacturers have this issue of features being non-discoverable, and so on. Hyundai does, for example. I hate their UX. My wife doesn’t mind it. 🤷‍♂️

But I love Audi’s UX, and others hate it. To each their own.

Back