Tesla Model 3 vs. Lucid Air Pure

You are correct in terms of EPA size categories. However, it's a confusing landscape, as vehicle size categories are generally defined by interior volume, not exterior footprint. The EPA designates the MB E-Class as a mid-size car, and Lucid's exterior dimensions are virtually the same. The Lucid is a bit wider, but it is lower and is identical in length (196") to some of the E-Class versions.

When talking passenger space, I usually to refer to Lucid as a large car. But when talking exterior dimensions in terms of parking and maneuvering through traffic, I think of Lucid as a mid-size car.

As no other sedan carmaker has pulled off the same exterior-to-interior size trick, I'm not sure the Lucid fits easily into conventionally-defined categories.
We still have an old E class and it takes up the same length in the garage.
The family definitely likes the Lucid rear seats much better than the EQS, which I still find hard to accept.

I know, sounds crazy, right? I'll explain.

I have a Model S 90D with Full Self Drive (FSD). I also have an order for Pure RWD. I love the Lucid look and interior. I love the range.

So what is the problem? I really didn't like no FSD for 7 years now on my Tesla. Plus Telsa told me it would be $15k for FSD on a new Tesla. No way!

Now Elon is saying FSD can be carried forward to a new Tesla for the next few months.

I love my Tesla MS. Only problem for me is it is a bit long, meaning parking in the garage I sometimes don't get in far enough, so I need to get back in and repark. So, a Model 3 is what, about 1 foot shorter? Also, with the Tesla Model 3 I can get a real $7,500 rebate (no leasing required). So I can probably get the M3 long range for about 1/2 the price of the Pure (w/o DDPro). With the M3 I would also have FSD, whenever, if ever, it shows up. But, even it is doesn't I'll still have enhanced Autopilot. That gives me lane centering without needing to buy anything extra. I road trip about 1-2 times a year, so I could have the Tesla network or CCS for the Lucid. Tesla network is, of course, far superior. I doubt CCS will improve much, with many declaring it dead.

So I need to do some serious thinking in the next 2 months.

I was in a similar situation a few months back. I was cross shopping an Ioniq(waiting on the N) or an AIR. I prefer smaller cars and I don't generally have giants in the backseat.

The Lucid is not just long but WIDE. The auto braking triggers sometimes when I'm back up into my driveway because it detects the wall of my house and neighbor.

Tesla has done some great work on FSD, but it's got far enough to go that I can't really consider it as addon purchase. Phantom braking on the highway still weirds me out. It's not that I think auto pilot is going to kill me, but I don't want it to lull me into a false sense of security for me to kill myself by working 9 out of 10 times.

The HA on the lucid is decent enough that I can use it, but I'm not relaxed to complacency. I also do believe that having lidar will make for an easier transition to full self driving.

IMO it comes down to charging network and comfort. If you travel big distance and want a more hassle free experience then Tesla. Although I've seen Tesla folks charge at EA because they say it's cheaper.

But the pricing delta really makes it hard to direct compare the two.

Model 3 is the worst car for road trips, gets very tiresome- road noise is horrible, bumpy ride. The constant drone gets to you after a while. Recommend the Lucid if it would fit.

Model 3 is the worst car for road trips, gets very tiresome- road noise is horrible, bumpy ride. The constant drone gets to you after a while. Recommend the Lucid if it would fit.
After one road trip in the Model 3, we always took our XC40EV instead (before we bought the Air). Some CCS charging aggravation but a better trip experience overall.

I think part of that is tire noise. I just put a new set of tires, Pirelli P Zeros, on my car with foam inside. Perhaps a bit quieter.

Same noise problem for the Y or is it better?

I’ven been riding EVs on Vegas Uber for 2 weeks this summer. I had only gotten Model-3, Model-Y and Polestar2 to pickme up. I was never able to get that illusive Ioniq5 Robotaxi. (Random draw) Out of all the ride comfort, I would grade them as such.

Polestar 2 > Model Y > Model 3

If you want the budget to be closer to the Model 3, the polestar 2/ioniq 6 to a lesser extent should be your alternatives! Lucid is worth it for the price IMO though.

Same noise problem for the Y or is it better?
I’ve had both a Model 3 (2018) and a Model Y (2020). My son drives them now. The Model 3 was quieter than the Model Y. The Model Y suspension was very hard. But I hear that the newer 3&Y models are quieter with softer suspension and sound insulating glass. Also, putting a parcel shelf in the Model Y reduces the booming noise considerably. Also, the noise on the Model 3 was reduced considerably when new tires were installed at 30K miles ( same OEM tires).

Tesla has come a considerable way with noise reduction on their cars. I’ve noticed a progression to quieter cars when going from a Model X (2016) to a Model X (2019) and then to a Model X (2023). Of course these are still not as quiet as the Lucid Air, but the 2023 model X is not bad. Its new air vents make considerably more air and less sound than the Lucid’s (same air vents like Model 3 and Y).

The previous answer stipulating a comparison between the Ioniq 6 and Model 3 is a fair one. Apple to apple.

Ioniq 6 all day long after a test drive in one. There is no frunk, but the rest of the car more than makes up for it. Model 3 was like driving a twitchy, overpowered Toyota Echo 1999: miserable, noisy, and uncomfortable.

Of course, if you are looking to drop some serious cash with no objection, I don't think anyone could reasonably suggest the Model 3 over a Lucid.

Review of new Model 3 Performance - short version fixed most of the deficiencies of the older Model 3 performance, only real gripe Jason had was the signal light switch. Now in his opinion much better option than the BMW M3. Comparing to the air - Air is huge, supple ride, nicer interior, steering is more natural, its a modern Jaguar

Review of new Model 3 Performance - short version fixed most of the deficiencies of the older Model 3 performance, only real gripe Jason had was the signal light switch. Now in his opinion much better option than the BMW M3. Comparing to the air - Air is huge, supple ride, nicer interior, steering is more natural, its a modern Jaguar

I just drove a model 3, yikes…..lunch box on wheels is a good way to describe it. Think how bad the 25k model 2 will be, how can you make anything cheaper than a model 3? If the old model 3 is the bar, that bar is set very very low. I would take a BMW i4 over the new Model 3.

I just drove a model 3, yikes…..lunch box on wheels is a good way to describe it. Think how bad the 25k model 2 will be, how can you make anything cheaper than a model 3? If the old model 3 is the bar, that bar is set very very low. I would take a BMW i4 over the new Model 3.
I would also. Unless one is going to track a car, IMHO 0-60 is not a useful measure for an electric car (before you say that is because I don't have a fast one, the 0-60 time in the GV60P is 3.7 seconds). They all move fairly rapidly from a stop. For me, I want to know that if I am on a road following a driver pulling a trailer, up a steep hill, at 55 mph, that I can blow by him before the hill ends. And when driving in the twisties, I want the car to be able to handle them.

Back