Lucid vs Tesla self drive software

If only I could figure out the right clicks to the enable Highway Assist on that steering wheel button. I miss the stalk double press to enable ADAS.
Press the button. Press in on the roller by your right thumb to set your speed. Same way I've engaged cruise control in most other cars I've ever driven. If you're on an HA-supported road it will default to HA - press and hold the ADAS button to toggle between HA and ACC.

My thumbs know how to do it, clearly my brain does not
@segbrk drives with his hands crossed, in preparation for a quick getaway in case he needs to pull a U turn and get outta there

I have driven both as well as the Tesla model S. Driving wise the lucid is much better than the model 3 for sure, but honestly comparable to the model S. Technology, usability and capability hands down Tesla has lucid best by a mile. Now of course Tesla has been around longer and has had longer to perfect its tech, but lucid just simply doesn't do user centered design. Lucid is like the blackberry of cars when it comes to tech, they are many steps behind and are set on smashing everything into a 5 pound bag, when they should redesign their layout and focus on integration of the the human and how everything works around them. I do love the spacious layout of the interior and the fact that lucid kept a lot of the legacy interior mechanism like door handles. They need to work hard on the cameras and parking assist, it stinks at best. If I had to do it over again I’d get a Tesla S just because it’s a more rung out design and it’s more convenient to find chargers when going further than 30 miles to and from work. Just my two cents

...I do love the spacious layout of the interior and the fact that lucid kept a lot of the legacy interior mechanism like door handles. They need to work hard on the cameras and parking assist, it stinks at best. If I had to do it over again I’d get a Tesla S just because it’s a more rung out design and it’s more convenient to find chargers when going further than 30 miles to and from work...
Interesting - I have a very different impression - my Air's cams are great, far better than the limited set on my Model 3. But I've never tried parking assist.

My feeling about the Air's interior is that Lucid engineers spent a lot of time thinking about ergonomics and utility, more so than Tesla, That's why there are physical buttons and rollers for most-used functions rather that putting it all in the software UX.

The Air's door handles are my least-favorite part of the car's hardware.

I'm not complaining - just trying to say that these matters are subjective. Own the car you enjoy the most. You can always trade your Air for a slightly-used Model S and likely walk away with cash. Not a move I'd make though.

Last edited:
The Air's door handles are my least-favorite part of the car's hardware.
Interior or exterior? I like the I interior but am not a fan of retractable exterior handles. Seems like there are a lot of other possible designs that would not impact areo and would be simpler to implement.

Interior or exterior? I like the I interior but am not a fan of retractable exterior handles. Seems like there are a lot of other possible designs that would not impact areo and would be simpler to implement.
I like the Air's interior door handles. To me, the exterior door handles feel thin and loose. By comparison, the Polestar 3's flush/pop-out exterior door handles feel great. Solid and substantial.

Understand, I like the exterior on my C6 better. No moving parts, simple robust membrane switch built into a hand hold.

I have driven both as well as the Tesla model S. Driving wise the lucid is much better than the model 3 for sure, but honestly comparable to the model S. Technology, usability and capability hands down Tesla has lucid best by a mile. Now of course Tesla has been around longer and has had longer to perfect its tech, but lucid just simply doesn't do user centered design. Lucid is like the blackberry of cars when it comes to tech, they are many steps behind and are set on smashing everything into a 5 pound bag, when they should redesign their layout and focus on integration of the the human and how everything works around them. I do love the spacious layout of the interior and the fact that lucid kept a lot of the legacy interior mechanism like door handles. They need to work hard on the cameras and parking assist, it stinks at best. If I had to do it over again I’d get a Tesla S just because it’s a more rung out design and it’s more convenient to find chargers when going further than 30 miles to and from work. Just my two cents
Great thing about cars is that I have the complete opposite opinion of you regard the Model S vs the Lucid. I think the tech in Lucid extends beyond the UX and that's where Lucid excels beyond any other car in the same category.

There's nothing user-centered about Tesla's UX design. Tab after tab of walls of switches. An animated video game view taking up a third of the screen that shows me what I can better see by looking at the actual road ahead. No screen in front of the driver and few physical controls, requiring for almost all interactions a change in focus to the center of the car.

Their entire interface is built to show off in a demo. It's neither intuitive nor particularly user friendly. It is stable. I'll give them that. And sure, some of their ADAS features (particularly their latest parking assist) are impressive.

But ask the average newcomer to Tesla to turn on the windshield wipers and watch as they struggle for five minutes if you want to get a good demonstration of why it's anything but user-centered.

I could not disagree more. I literally cannot stand using Tesla's UX, and very much like Lucid's UX. Is it perfect? No; I still don't know why there's a big Air on the main screen, as that space could be better utilized, for example. But in terms of UX and discoverability of features, and ease of access and use? No comparison. If Lucid is an 8 on UX, the Tesla interface is a 3 or 4 in my book.

That's the thing about cars though - you are welcome to buy the one you like. :)

I have 2024 Model 3 Tesla with FSD (3rd Tesla) and a 2022 Lucid GT so I am currently experiencing both driver assist systems. I definitely wish Lucid would speed up their ADAS development. I like the system to recognize lights, stopped cars, speed limit signs (and auto adjust speed). I prefer the Lucid for most driving, but the latest Tesla FSD is pretty slick. Of course, Tesla has dropped the ultrasonic sensors to save manufacturing costs, and I believe the camera only system is inferior. I will say, both vehicles are engineering marvels, and we should be proud of the fact we have some pretty fantastic engineering available to us.

I have 2024 Model 3 Tesla with FSD (3rd Tesla) and a 2022 Lucid GT so I am currently experiencing both driver assist systems. I definitely wish Lucid would speed up their ADAS development. I like the system to recognize lights, stopped cars, speed limit signs (and auto adjust speed). I prefer the Lucid for most driving, but the latest Tesla FSD is pretty slick. Of course, Tesla has dropped the ultrasonic sensors to save manufacturing costs, and I believe the camera only system is inferior. I will say, both vehicles are engineering marvels, and we should be proud of the fact we have some pretty fantastic engineering available to us.
Lucid does presently see speed limit signs and suggest auto adjusting speed when you are using highway assist. It requires you to tap a button to confirm, and you can't set an offset like on Tesla, but you can auto-adjust the speed.

Lucid has said on their earnings call that they have some major ADAS releases coming this year, so it sounds like you're here at a good time. :)

Left thumb. Right thumb is for volume/mute/phone call control
Press in on left thumb? Or up down. Mine won’t see to set the speed

I think I need a video :)

Great thing about cars is that I have the complete opposite opinion of you regard the Model S vs the Lucid. I think the tech in Lucid extends beyond the UX and that's where Lucid excels beyond any other car in the same category.
To me the great thing is that we now have many choices for an EV. That was not true just a few years ago.

We are all very different and our likes and needs are very different. Put likes, needs, dislikes, disqualifying features, etc. together and no one company makes a car that can match up with all of the possible combos. A simple example: there are some drivers who absolutely want a coupe/sedan rather than a crossover/SUV and there are others who feel equally strongly in favor of the crossover/SUV choice. Then add in size, power, luxury, cost, features, and the intensity of customer feelings and the results are almost endless (okay...some hyperbole here).

One of the neat things, to me, about human beings is that we can put this smorgasbord together into a conclusion without a scorecard/spreadsheet that is often remarkably close to what a detailed analysis would have provided. Of course, like AI, the results could be a hallucination.........

Press in on left thumb? Or up down. Mine won’t see to set the speed

I think I need a video :)
Press in on the left silver roller button to set the speed.

100% of commercial driverless cars have lidar, radar, cameras and ultrasonic parking sensors. Also they have redundant sensors as well. They are level 4 and the automaker is liable in case of any accident. So I am absolutely certain that tesla using only cameras and claiming full self driving is nonsense. That is why not even lucid with all the sensors does not not claim level 4 ready door to door capable. One fine day in future when all the cars have the sensors as in lucid and they support car to car communications, there will be some sort of redundancy. The sensors of one car in front can send real time data to the car behind and effectively provide redundancy. On top of it, all the traffic lights and signs will one fine day broadcast their status to all the vehicles. All this may take decades for true door to door consumer use of navigation.

Wow, I had a MS and have a totally different opinion. With today’s Teslas you have to take your eyes off the road for virtually everything. That’s far from ergonomic, in fact that’s very ‘unergonomic’. I almost expect the next gen Tesla to have a steering wheel on the screen. ;)

100% of commercial driverless cars have lidar, radar, cameras and ultrasonic parking sensors. Also they have redundant sensors as well. They are level 4 and the automaker is liable in case of any accident. So I am absolutely certain that tesla using only cameras and claiming full self driving is nonsense. That is why not even lucid with all the sensors does not not claim level 4 ready door to door capable. One fine day in future when all the cars have the sensors as in lucid and they support car to car communications, there will be some sort of redundancy. The sensors of one car in front can send real time data to the car behind and effectively provide redundancy. On top of it, all the traffic lights and signs will one fine day broadcast their status to all the vehicles. All this may take decades for true door to door consumer use of navigation.
Yep. This is what a current Waymo self driving car in Arizona looks like:

Notice all the lidar units. I must add that although I see them all the time here in Scottsdale it still seems weird. One of these days I will book a ride in one just to see what it is like. They seem very safe; if they encounter something they are not capable of handling, they appear to simply freeze which, while not grea t, is better than an accident.

Back