Tesla Model 3 vs. Lucid Air Pure

Viking

Cars
Fathom Blue 2023 Pure
I know, sounds crazy, right? I'll explain.

I have a Model S 90D with Full Self Drive (FSD). I also have an order for Pure RWD. I love the Lucid look and interior. I love the range.

So what is the problem? I really didn't like no FSD for 7 years now on my Tesla. Plus Telsa told me it would be $15k for FSD on a new Tesla. No way!

Now Elon is saying FSD can be carried forward to a new Tesla for the next few months.

I love my Tesla MS. Only problem for me is it is a bit long, meaning parking in the garage I sometimes don't get in far enough, so I need to get back in and repark. So, a Model 3 is what, about 1 foot shorter? Also, with the Tesla Model 3 I can get a real $7,500 rebate (no leasing required). So I can probably get the M3 long range for about 1/2 the price of the Pure (w/o DDPro). With the M3 I would also have FSD, whenever, if ever, it shows up. But, even it is doesn't I'll still have enhanced Autopilot. That gives me lane centering without needing to buy anything extra. I road trip about 1-2 times a year, so I could have the Tesla network or CCS for the Lucid. Tesla network is, of course, far superior. I doubt CCS will improve much, with many declaring it dead.

So I need to do some serious thinking in the next 2 months.

The Model S and Lucid Air are about the same size. So if you having problems parking your MS in your garage, that won't be fixed by the Air. I too have limited space in my garage and mastered on my previous MS where the rear camera needed to be pointing to clear the door with still about 18" in front of the vehicle. The same can be done on Air.

Your right. The S and Air are essential the same length. I thought the Air might be easier to park with the surround view cameras. With the 3, however, I don't think I'll have a problem. Although, I've heard that Tesla's removed the ultrasonic sensors. So perhaps distance is no longer displayed?

Your right. The S and Air are essential the same length. I thought the Air might be easier to park with the surround view cameras. With the 3, however, I don't think I'll have a problem. Although, I've heard that Tesla's removed the ultrasonic sensors. So perhaps distance is no longer displayed?
I understand your desire for full FSD but you are comparing apples to oranges. The Lucid, like the MS, is a midsized car. The Tesla 3 is the size of a compact sedan and considerably narrower than the MS you are currently driving. The Lucid is a luxury car, the 3 is not. The MS has a display in front of you; the 3 does not. This is all fine if that is fine with you. Personally I like a smaller car unlike most owners but I also want luxury and performance. The 3 hits my first requirement, can meet my third (if one buys the performance model) but doesn't come close to meeting my second.

But it is nice that you have choices and there are now far more than just these two.

If you regularly park in a tight space, whatever car you choose to buy, definitely get something with 360 degree camera view. It makes a huge difference. We have it on both our cars (Lucid Grand Touring and Volvo XC40 EV) and will not buy another car without it. Same for having blind spot warning in side mirrors. Hence no more Tesla cars for us. I drove a Model 3 performance version for four years.

Their is new visualization software which uses cameras for the Tesla, which tries to display a border surrounding the car when there are obstacles. Works OK for me on the Model X, although it's a bit conservative when approaching a curb and warns 1 foot too soon.

I would concur with @Tim-in-CA regarding the tradeoffs. Tesla is pushing for the $15K trade-in for the FSD, because they will introduce the newer Model 3 (Project Highland) later this year according to rumors. It will possibly have a 10% increase in range, but nothing close to the Pure. Like always, you can always wait for better technology.

I know, sounds crazy, right? I'll explain.

I have a Model S 90D with Full Self Drive (FSD). I also have an order for Pure RWD. I love the Lucid look and interior. I love the range.

So what is the problem? I really didn't like no FSD for 7 years now on my Tesla. Plus Telsa told me it would be $15k for FSD on a new Tesla. No way!

Now Elon is saying FSD can be carried forward to a new Tesla for the next few months.

I love my Tesla MS. Only problem for me is it is a bit long, meaning parking in the garage I sometimes don't get in far enough, so I need to get back in and repark. So, a Model 3 is what, about 1 foot shorter? Also, with the Tesla Model 3 I can get a real $7,500 rebate (no leasing required). So I can probably get the M3 long range for about 1/2 the price of the Pure (w/o DDPro). With the M3 I would also have FSD, whenever, if ever, it shows up. But, even it is doesn't I'll still have enhanced Autopilot. That gives me lane centering without needing to buy anything extra. I road trip about 1-2 times a year, so I could have the Tesla network or CCS for the Lucid. Tesla network is, of course, far superior. I doubt CCS will improve much, with many declaring it dead.

So I need to do some serious thinking in the next 2 months.
Seems like you want a smaller car, so the Air is not for you, regardless. Right?

I’m just curious why you would come to a Lucid forum and write up a long argument for why the Model 3 is a better choice for you?

Do you hope we will talk you into the Air? I’m sure some of us could. Or do you want us to somehow be convinced we all should have bought Teslas? Honest question. I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish here. But it sounds like your decision is already pretty much made. I’m sure folks on a Tesla forum would be happy to push you over the finish line.

Nothing wrong with a Model 3. And the offer to transfer the FSD is something I would never have thought I’d see. Don’t think that will last long or happen again, but Tesla is pushing hard to goose sales while it can, so that’s a fairly strong motivator for you?

To me, the Pure is a vastly better car. But it’s also more expensive and larger. The later of which is a big deal to you, it seems.

... I road trip about 1-2 times a year, so I could have the Tesla network or CCS for the Lucid....
For only a few road trips a year, there's no need to limit your choice of EV to a Tesla. People take long trips in CCS cars all the time. We've done four ~1000 mile trips in ours, as well as a couple slightly shorter outings, and had a great time. It's not quite as frictionless as in a Tesla, but we'd rather be driving better cars.
Lucid at Carrizo.jpg

XC40 swimming.jpg

Seems like you want a smaller car, so the Air is not for you, regardless. Right?
It is just one of several factors I'm weighing. I do have it on order, so I would have to say, No, not right.

"I’m just curious why you would come to a Lucid forum and write up a long argument for why the Model 3 is a better choice for you?"

I have not visited the Tesla forums for a long time. I still have my Pure on order. Not at all sure I will go with a Tesla.

I have no particular hopes. Just talking. I really like the Pure. I thought someone might present an idea I had not considered. Unlikely, but who knows.

I agree the Pure is a better car in many ways. Otherwise why do I even need to consider paying 2X the price.

It is just one of several factors I'm weighing. I do have it on order, so I would have to say, No, not right.

"I’m just curious why you would come to a Lucid forum and write up a long argument for why the Model 3 is a better choice for you?"

I have not visited the Tesla forums for a long time. I still have my Pure on order. Not at all sure I will go with a Tesla.

I have no particular hopes. Just talking. I really like the Pure. I thought someone might present an idea I had not considered. Unlikely, but who knows.

I agree the Pure is a better car in many ways. Otherwise why do I even need to consider paying 2X the price.
Fair enough! I also prefer smaller cars; the Lucid Air is the biggest car I’ve ever owned.

I don’t regret it at all, because it’s also the best car I’ve ever owned, and the overhead cams make it trivial to park anywhere, no matter how tight.

But it is bigger than my Mazda 3, for sure :)

Fair enough! I also prefer smaller cars; the Lucid Air is the biggest car I’ve ever owned.

I don’t regret it at all, because it’s also the best car I’ve ever owned, and the overhead cams make it trivial to park anywhere, no matter how tight.

But it is bigger than my Mazda 3, for sure :)
Even though the overhead cams make it easy to park anywhere, I'm not inclined to park it anywhere that tight. I always try to park it where there's no one next to me, or at least a very big parking space, and walk the extra distance. It's not my parking I'm worried about, it's what the cars next to me will do.

Depends on what matter to you and how long you want to keep your next car. If FSD and tech is what you fancy, go for smaller M3. It comfort, cabin space, finer interior, aesthetics and unique look, Pure is for you.

Road trip range anxiety is just stigma on NACS vs CCS. Tesla friends told me I will brick on CCS DCFC stations driving lesser range Rivian from LA to Houston, I proved them otherwise.

Just a thought. I have always preferred smaller cars; in fact, I have driven a Prius ( no judgment from forum members , OK a little is fine) for many years. The Lucid is the largest car I have ever driven, but I have to say it absolutely does not feel like it, because it is so nimble. I was concerned about the size of the car but I don’t even think about it now. It’s a tighter squeeze in to my garage, but it’s something you just get used to.

Just a thought. I have always preferred smaller cars; in fact, I have driven a Prius ( no judgment from forum members , OK a little is fine) for many years. The Lucid is the largest car I have ever driven, but I have to say it absolutely does not feel like it, because it is so nimble. I was concerned about the size of the car but I don’t even think about it now. It’s a tighter squeeze in to my garage, but it’s something you just get used to.
Totally agree. With the excellent cameras this is the easiest car to park I have ever owned.

Totally agree. With the excellent cameras this is the easiest car to park I have ever owned.
That I'd agree with. It's the biggest car I've ever owned, and it almost never feels like it. Rarely, when making a U-turn or something, I will notice it's size, but not by much. Driving a 7-series is way harder.

For only a few road trips a year, there's no need to limit your choice of EV to a Tesla. People take long trips in CCS cars all the time. We've done four ~1000 mile trips in ours, as well as a couple slightly shorter outings, and had a great time. It's not quite as frictionless as in a Tesla, but we'd rather be driving better cars.
View attachment 13691
View attachment 13692
Those are some awesome photos!

One thing not mentioned so far, Viking . . . do you expect to be transporting adults in the back seat for any distance?

With the driver seats set to my preferred driving position in both our Lucid Air and our Model S Plaid, there is 9.5" more longitudinal leg room in the rear seat of the Air. And with the smaller battery pack of the Pure, the floorboard is also much lower (3.15"), since there are no battery modules under the floorboard as there are in the Air with the larger battery pack and in all the Teslas.

And I'm talking the Model S so far. The rear space in the Model 3 is even more cramped (my brother has a 2018 Model 3). The Pure backseat, on the other hand, offers the space and seating comfort of a Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series. And that's with the front seats also offering considerably more legroom than in any of the Teslas.

Lucid really has managed to drop the passenger cabin of a large German luxury sedan into the body of a midsize sedan. It's one of the most amazing aspects of a generally amazing car.

Lucid really has managed to drop the passenger cabin of a large German luxury sedan into the body of a midsize sedan. It's one of the most amazing aspects of a generally amazing car.
The Lucid is considered a full size sedan. It is over a foot shorter than an S class or 7 series and has great rear seat room. I’ve gone on several road trips with 4 adults. Also, with the trunk and frunk way more storage space than the 7 series. Although, the rear seats in the 7 are pretty sweet.

Rear seat comfort there really is no comparison between Model 3 and the Air. Air also has about 12% more cargo room at 26.1 vs 22.9 cubic ft.

One thing not mentioned so far, Viking . . . do you expect to be transporting adults in the back seat for any distance?

With the driver seats set to my preferred driving position in both our Lucid Air and our Model S Plaid, there is 9.5" more longitudinal leg room in the rear seat of the Air. And with the smaller battery pack of the Pure, the floorboard is also much lower (3.15"), since there are no battery modules under the floorboard as there are in the Air with the larger battery pack and in all the Teslas.

And I'm talking the Model S so far. The rear space in the Model 3 is even more cramped (my brother has a 2018 Model 3). The Pure backseat, on the other hand, offers the space and seating comfort of a Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series. And that's with the front seats also offering considerably more legroom than in any of the Teslas.

Good points. Typically just the front seats will be used. However, the back seats could also be used on our 1-2/year road trips. I agree the Air has excellent leg room/comfort, particularly on the Pure and Touring due to the smaller battery.

The Lucid is considered a full size sedan.

You are correct in terms of EPA size categories. However, it's a confusing landscape, as vehicle size categories are generally defined by interior volume, not exterior footprint. The EPA designates the MB E-Class as a mid-size car, and Lucid's exterior dimensions are virtually the same. The Lucid is a bit wider, but it is lower and is identical in length (196") to some of the E-Class versions.

When talking passenger space, I usually to refer to Lucid as a large car. But when talking exterior dimensions in terms of parking and maneuvering through traffic, I think of Lucid as a mid-size car.

As no other sedan carmaker has pulled off the same exterior-to-interior size trick, I'm not sure the Lucid fits easily into conventionally-defined categories.

Back