Lucid Air GT vs Tesla Model X Plaid

I loved my MY until I did a 1200-mile road trip. I sold it two months later and got a Lucid GT. I will miss the SuperCharger network on my next trip, the tow package, and some of the software (hoping Lucid keeps improving), but I've had to do a lot more highway driving the past six months and the Lucid drive is a huge improvement over the MY.

There's few people here that have done cross country road trips in the Lucid, but I went from DC to Utah and it was amazing. Comfortable, went by so fast and wasn't fatiguing at all.
The massage seats and amazing adjustability of everything in the interior of Lucid kept me going for hours! And I personally had no problems with EA on my journey.

I don't own a Tesla Model X Plaid, but I've driven it. And the whole seat is one contiguous unit, I wasn't able to adjust my headrest separately, or lean only a specific piece back or forward, no massage seats, etc..
For the price, the comfort was pretty bad and my neck sad hurting me on long drives.
The suspension surprisingly was super smooth in the Lucid compared to every Tesla. The Teslas are more stiff.

Sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. I just want to reinforce staying away, well away from the Model X of any year, of any derivation. Tesla have still not figured out the “juddering” that inevitably appears at around 20,000 miles, coming from the two front half shafts. Tesla used to humour Model X owners by replacing them under warranty. But the problem would recur. These days Tesla will tell you that the juddering suspension is no longer a suspension design flaw, but a design feature.

Stay well away.

Post Script - I too, am waiting for the Gravity. Thankfully I already have my Air GT to tide me over.
My wife has the Model X and her 2nd row bench seat is broken. Won't fold back up. Seems like a common issue. Almost $3k to replace.. been almost 4 months and they still can't get me a new seat. Even newer Model X owners say the issue isn't fixed. They just replace with the same defective seat that will fail again.

I loved my MY until I did a 1200-mile road trip. I sold it two months later and got a Lucid GT. I will miss the SuperCharger network on my next trip, the tow package, and some of the software (hoping Lucid keeps improving), but I've had to do a lot more highway driving the past six months and the Lucid drive is a huge improvement over the MY.
I hope your Lucid is a huge improvement, as it is a much more expensive car than a Y. Not sure why people would even compare a Y or 3 to a Lucid Air. S/X yes, but Y is not close to a S/X or Lucid. So funny! 🙂

I hope your Lucid is a huge improvement, as it is a much more expensive car than a Y. Not sure why people would even compare a Y or 3 to a Lucid Air. S/X yes, but Y is not close to a S/X or Lucid. So funny! 🙂

MY was the most expensive car I had bought before this and was the "best" EV I had owned (1st one was a 2019 Nissan Leaf Plus - CHAdeMO and range did me in), so the "apples" I use for comparison are pretty basic. I love reading all the granular comparisons to the other cars, though. And yes, it is an amazing car - 16K miles in seven months of driving (the other three were in the shop) ... and don't let anyone tell you that you can't teach old dogs new tricks: I haven't hit my head on the door frame in months! 😼

Hi All - I'm new here!

I'm in the market for a new car and I'm so torn between these two cars. I know it's a bit of an odd comparison given that the Lucid Air GT is a sedan and the Model X Plaid is a crossover SUV but I figured since there's probably quite a few ex-Tesla owners here, wanted to get some objective thoughts about what they miss about their Tesla and what they love about their Lucid. The biggest worry for me over anything else is the charging network. I'm in California so I know the infrastructure for even EA is probably better than most states but Tesla has charging stations everywhere and stations now that have 50+ stalls. I'd feel a little better about the Lucid if some of you who've done long road trips in the Lucid can share your experiences with charging at EA stations. I know also (while it's a way off and there's only a few stations that are open to this thus far, Tesla is going to be opening up their network to non Teslas).

In having test drove both the last week or so, I can say the Lucid Air GT drives much more smooth (even without the Adaptive suspension) and handles better than the Model X Plaid. That is a huge plus for me as my number one thing with a car is ride quality first and foremost. I'm also so really impressed with the spaciousness of the interior of the Lucid in comparison to the X. I do prefer that the X had an option for entertainment like theater mode that the Tesla has but I know they can always release that in the future with a new UX. The back seat comfort of the Lucid is far, far superior to me than the captains chairs of the X. It feels more in comparison with an S Class when you're sitting in the back seats of the Lucid. Also that Nappa leather in the GT is top notch feeling, I definitely like it much better than the Vegan leather in the X.

One thing I noticed in driving both, and maybe this is just me, but the Lucid feels heavier (or maybe it's just because it's lower to the ground).

Lastly the killer thing about the Lucid over the X is the range factor. Even with the 21" wheels it's still kills the range of the X Plaid. I was driving the X Plaid for almost an hour and split between Sport and Plaid mode. The amount of juice eaten up by that thing in that short period of time was a little disappointing.

Anyway, just wanted to get former X Plaid owners/Current Lucid owners thoughts on what they like/dislike about each car over the other if anything. I'm mostly leaning towards the Lucid at this point if you can't tell by my thoughts above.
You are bang on
Drove Tesla Model S 90D for 6years
Have driven my new Air GT for 7 months and it is clearly a superior vehicle- acceleration, ride comfort and handling like a fine German sedan, looks, service response, high fidelity sound system. The only thing that is more intuitive is the Tesla parking assistance...that is it but will get better at Lucid parking

I Love my Lucid, so far its the best car I have ever had, and I have owned Porsche's, Mercedes, BMW's.. I have 12k miles on my Air~, so far Lucid beats them all, my car has had no problems, dependability is equal to a high end German car in my opinion, perhaps even better when it comes to Tech, and the way this car updates itself is incredible.. 1 year later if I were buying an EV I would pick the same car today.. Closest thing is a Tycan, but the range and the included equipment on the Lucid is a bargain at all trim levels compared to others at this price point, you would have to get a Tycan 4s to get close to a Touring, spend more money, and still not beat the Lucid at many levels. The Lucid corners and handles fantastic, yet it's a great GT car at the same time, Range and Tech is also fantastic.

If you are not sure, lease it and try it for a few years, if you like it buy it at the end of the lease, if you dont like it turn it in at the end of the lease.. Personally speaking , a Tesla and Lucid are simply not in the same class.. unless you like the minimalist design and all the controls on what feels like an iPad, they are totally different cars in my view. Personally I would compare a Tesla to a Polstar or Volvo. The Lucid has a soul, sportier and lighter feeling than a Mercedes in my opinion, the Lucid's interior is simply designed beatuifly, very high tech, very functional, luxurious , without feeling heavy or old school. The Tycan is very nice and also a beautifully "designed" car similar to the Lucid, it has a beautiful dash, top notch materials, and drives great, its equal to the Lucid in many ways but can cost allot more money. Once you get a Porsche "optioned up" it can get crazy expensive. The 2025 Tycan will have better range than its current model, but I am sold on the Lucid. If Lucid made a sporty "2 door Air~GT" similar in class to a 2 door 8 series BMW it would be another show stopper.

Back