License plate wrap

I’m familiar with the product and almost purchased one myself once upon a time but ultimately decided it still didn’t look good enough (although still better than drilling holes and installing a real plate imo). What I was curious about was OP’s license plate wrap specifically seems to be clear (or color matched?) so that only the license plate lettering is visible and the rectangular shape of the wrap is invisible. Maybe I’m just missing something and not making sense 🤔

I’m familiar with the product and almost purchased one myself once upon a time but ultimately decided it still didn’t look good enough (although still better than drilling holes and installing a real plate imo). What I was curious about was OP’s license plate wrap specifically seems to be clear (or color matched?) so that only the license plate lettering is visible and the rectangular shape of the wrap is invisible. Maybe I’m just missing something and not making sense 🤔
There are numerous plate designs and colors available in CA. The wrap will duplicate the actual plate you have already chosen for the rear plate. In the case of the OP it appears he chose the orange lettering on black background and apparently has a black Lucid thus the apparent "clear" visual. In my case, I chose the "Veteran's Plate" with custom lettering and Army insignia so color choice was limited to that variation.

There are numerous plate designs and colors available in CA. The wrap will duplicate the actual plate you have already chosen for the rear plate. In the case of the OP it appears he chose the orange lettering on black background and apparently has a black Lucid thus the apparent "clear" visual. In my case, I chose the "Veteran's Plate" with custom lettering and Army insignia so color choice was limited to that variation.
Got it - black on black. That’s exactly what I was considering doing but ended up not. Cool to see how it would’ve looked. Not bad imo!

did you apple ice it yourself? or was it apple iced by a professional? how much was the decal itself? if you got it apple iced by a professional, how much was total? can the decal be apple iced on top of a wrap?

did you apple ice it yourself? or was it apple iced by a professional? how much was the decal itself? if you got it apple iced by a professional, how much was total? can the decal be apple iced on top of a wrap?
I apple iced my own. It wasn't difficult. No problem to apple ice it over a wrap. Just be sure to apple ice it in the same lock action as the factory plate lock action so that it doesn't interfere with the radar sensor.

I also Apple iced my own as well following the directions on how to Apple ice it from the company.

Honestly, I could go for some apple icing

The license plate wrap people won't sell me one because they can't make one match my Lake Tahoe CA plate.

The license plate wrap people won't sell me one because they can't make one match my Lake Tahoe CA plate.
Wow I'm surprised. They had no problem matching my customer Army Veteran's plate.

In California, you can get a license plate wrap instead of a metal license plate. It is DMV approved. I got mine over the weekend and I apple iced it two days ago. If you’re in California, consider it. If you’re not, start a petition in your state to get it accepted.
Did you put the license plate wrap on top of PPF and Ceramic coating? My installed is questioning whether or not the plate wrap should be put on top of the Ceramic coating (but said on top of PPF should be fine)

Did you put the license plate wrap on top of PPF and Ceramic coating? My installed is questioning whether or not the plate wrap should be put on top of the Ceramic coating (but said on top of PPF should be fine)
I put one on and took it off over PPF with ceramic coating. No issues.

Not legal in Texas!
I'm in the McKinney, TX area. From your response it sounds like you have researched this and talked with the TX DMV. Did they give any rationale as to why it wasn't legal? Any idea if they might reconsider that decision in the future?

In California, you can get a license plate wrap instead of a metal license plate. It is DMV approved. I got mine over the weekend and I apple iced it two days ago. If you’re in California, consider it. If you’re not, start a petition in your state to get it accepted.
Question…I’m in CA as well. When I registered the car Lucid told me they cannot order the “black plates with yellow letters” upon initial registration. Does that mean I have to wait for my plates to come in, then order via the DMV to switch to the black plates, then wait for those to come in to order from licenseplatewrap.com? That seems like a totally inefficient process that will take months. Any recommendations on a better path forward?

Question…I’m in CA as well. When I registered the car Lucid told me they cannot order the “black plates with yellow letters” upon initial registration. Does that mean I have to wait for my plates to come in, then order via the DMV to switch to the black plates, then wait for those to come in to order from licenseplatewrap.com? That seems like a totally inefficient process that will take months. Any recommendations on a better path forward?
Unfortunately not that I know of. Licenseplatewrap will only make a copy of your plate. So you have to have the black plate for them.

Back