Plate Transfer Difficulty in NY

I picked up my Lucid AT in Plainview a couple of weeks ago and am going through the registration process - at what point do I have to get the inspection? I just fedexed back the signed forms - do I wait for additional info from Lucid or can I get the inspection done now? THANKS!!!
Ok...got my plates today! So...picked up my car on 3/15, completed the paperwork and fedex back roughly a week or so later. The plates arrived today (4/16/25), dated 4/6/25 with a ten day waiver on inspection, dated 4/7/25, meaning technically, I need to have the inspection done by tomorrow. Crazy.

If I can get it done, I will. Otherwise, I'll leave my temp plates on and put the new ones on just before I drive to get the inspection.

This area of Lucid sales is definitely the weak link...
 
Less than a week after I picked up the car, I received a FEDEX in the mail, that included two pages that needed to be notarized. I went to my local UPS store to get that done ($4). That, hopefully was the extend of my work regarding the registration of new plates. Now I'm waiting.

With regard to the Local DMV, try this page: NY DMV Private Service Bureau (PSB)

Annoyingly, there's no way to sort this list, but you can scroll through and find one nearby your home or work. You may find it a bit more or a bit less than the $40 I paid. You may want to call them to verify they do what you need (Plate surrender and Plate receipt).

Let me know if you have any questions...I did sort through much of this on my own and am glad to share any info/experience. Some of this is annoying, compared to a "normal car buying experience" from a local dealer, but when you see that car and drive it home....you'll forget about all of this stuff. It's BEAUTIFUL.....ENJOY!!
Just an FYI, I picked up my car in Plainview last Friday, and 20 mins away in Bethpage there is a DMV. I walked in, told the man handing out the tickets that I want to turn in my plates. The DMV was crowded but my number was called in less than 5 mins. I was out the door quickly, back in the car and on the phone with my insurance company canceling the insurance on my Tesla.
 
Thanks @Westchester Air and will do exactly this! So reading your post above: Once I receive the new plates/reg in the mail I still have to notarize some forms and mail? Odd as I never done that before. Also where the heck do I find a "local DMV authorized service"? My zip is 11559. $40 and not have to wait at DMV all day sounds like a steal 😄
I suggest you go to your local DMV, no wait for turning in your plates, at least that was my experience last Friday at the Bethpage DMV. It was about a 20 min drive for the Plainview delivery center.
 
I am in Nassau County and have gotten 4 tickets for no front license plate over the last 8 years.
All of them were given while the car was either parked on the street or in a commuter parking lot.
I finally gave up and put the front plate on.
Wow! I've been driving without front plates for years and only once got a ticket in Port Jefferson while parked on a street. That ticket was from a town cop who was also ticketing a red M3 for the same reason and not a Suffolk Country cop. My understanding is that Nassau/Suffolk cops won't issue a front license plate ticket unless you have been pulled over for some other violation. I got into this discussion with a Suffolk County cop I got friendly with after meeting him at a local 7-11 a number of times (he was enthralled by my Lucid and was an investor in Lucid). He mentioned I'd never get pulled over for this but town cops are a different story. Were the tickets issued by a town cop or an actual Nassau County cop?
 
I picked up my Lucid AT in Plainview a couple of weeks ago and am going through the registration process - at what point do I have to get the inspection? I just fedexed back the signed forms - do I wait for additional info from Lucid or can I get the inspection done now? THANKS!!!
FYI, put my new plates on the car today and took it for "inspection". It was pretty funny honestly. The guy basically looked at the car. The summary says

Front Plate Condition: Good
Rear Plate Condition: Good

Congratulations your vehicle has passed its annual New York State Inspection.

$10 and 10 minutes and I was done. I wonder if all EV inspections are this silly and fast or it was because it was new.

Side point...Dude was like "What kind of car is this?! It's really nice....What's the range? [Over 400]. Over 400?! Wow. Really nice....
 
My place knew the car (April 2024). The slip said pulled right front wheel. Don't know if they did. State requires pulling one front wheel to check brakes, bearings, suspension, etc.
 
My place knew the car (April 2024). The slip said pulled right front wheel. Don't know if they did. State requires pulling one front wheel to check brakes, bearings, suspension, etc.
Yeah, the slip said “L/F wheel”. Guess that meant left front wheel? I can assure you no wheels were removed tho LOL
 
Any idea on how long of a wait it will be before I receive my new plates? I have the car over 5 weeks and I know I was told it can take up to 90 days before I receive them. Just wondering how long did it take any of you to receive your new plates?
Also, when you did receive them, did they include the screws? It does not seem that the temporary plate screws would be long enough to hold the permanent plates?
 
Any idea on how long of a wait it will be before I receive my new plates? I have the car over 5 weeks and I know I was told it can take up to 90 days before I receive them. Just wondering how long did it take any of you to receive your new plates?
Also, when you did receive them, did they include the screws? It does not seem that the temporary plate screws would be long enough to hold the permanent plates?
It took me about 3 weeks after I sent the paperwork back to Lucid. Also...LOL I had to connect an external EZPass to my plate and the screws wouldn't fit...so I had to run over to the hardware store to get longer screws. (EZPass wouldn't work through my glass canopy.)
 
Thanks for your quick reply, so hopefully I should expect it any day then.... SO were screws included, even though they did not work for you? My EZpass (I have the Green ezpass) seems to be working fine with my glass canopy.
 
Thanks for your quick reply, so hopefully I should expect it any day then.... SO were screws included, even though they did not work for you? My EZpass (I have the Green ezpass) seems to be working fine with my glass canopy.
Pretty sure there were not screws with the plates.
 
Hello, everybody. My first post!
So I just ordered a Gravity GT today that is sitting in King of Prussia, PA apparently. I traded my old car in, so Lucid will have it when I drive down to Philly. On my order, I said I'd transfer plates, because I assumed I could just take the old plates and put them on the new Gravity and drive away, assuming I'd insured it already. The DMV stuff I hadn't thought about. So from reading this I gather that I will instead get temporary AZ plates whether I choose to transfer the plates or not. So if I get new plates, i can turn in the old plates immediately and pick up the new plates when Lucid finishes paperwork. And if I try to transfer the plates, I don't have to return them, but I can't cancel the insurance on my old car until the transfer paperwork from Lucid comes through, and I can't put them on the car until some set of notarized documents are completed. Does that cover it?
 
Hello, everybody. My first post!
So I just ordered a Gravity GT today that is sitting in King of Prussia, PA apparently. I traded my old car in, so Lucid will have it when I drive down to Philly. On my order, I said I'd transfer plates, because I assumed I could just take the old plates and put them on the new Gravity and drive away, assuming I'd insured it already. The DMV stuff I hadn't thought about. So from reading this I gather that I will instead get temporary AZ plates whether I choose to transfer the plates or not. So if I get new plates, i can turn in the old plates immediately and pick up the new plates when Lucid finishes paperwork. And if I try to transfer the plates, I don't have to return them, but I can't cancel the insurance on my old car until the transfer paperwork from Lucid comes through, and I can't put them on the car until some set of notarized documents are completed. Does that cover it?
Pretty much. You'll probably have to wait for your NY plates, but you'll have your temp AZ plates until they arrive. Congrats on the new Gravity!
 
Hello, everybody. My first post!
So I just ordered a Gravity GT today that is sitting in King of Prussia, PA apparently. I traded my old car in, so Lucid will have it when I drive down to Philly. On my order, I said I'd transfer plates, because I assumed I could just take the old plates and put them on the new Gravity and drive away, assuming I'd insured it already. The DMV stuff I hadn't thought about. So from reading this I gather that I will instead get temporary AZ plates whether I choose to transfer the plates or not. So if I get new plates, i can turn in the old plates immediately and pick up the new plates when Lucid finishes paperwork. And if I try to transfer the plates, I don't have to return them, but I can't cancel the insurance on my old car until the transfer paperwork from Lucid comes through, and I can't put them on the car until some set of notarized documents are completed. Does that cover it?
I realize that my California laws do not apply to you, but when I got my perviously-owned Air the old plates were far out of date.

The dealer had a little plastic envelope that he taped inside the windshield which had folded copy of the bill-of-sale and a copy of the registration application paperwork. Zero cops bothered me even though the old plates were 5 months expired.

Just in case your temporary AZ plates are problematic...

And also, welcome to the forum! You will love that vehicle.
 
Thanks... Look for me. I'm in Westchester, too. (Rye)
Welcome to the Lucid/Westchester family ;)

There are a few of us, judging by my sightings on the Hutch :)
 
I pick it up tomorrow in King of Prussia. And thanks to this thread, I am no longer transferring plates.
I was able to transfer my NY plates when I bought mine. I keep the plates and put them on replacing the temporary AZ ones once Lucid sent me the registration (about 90 days later)
 
I was able to transfer my NY plates when I bought mine. I keep the plates and put them on replacing the temporary AZ ones once Lucid sent me the registration (about 90 days later)
Yes... that works. But then under New York law, you cannot cancel the insurance on your old car for 90 days, since the insurance company is not allowed to cancel the insurance on the old car until the plates are officially registered to the new car. That's three months worth of insurance on a car you don't own! If you work through a regular out-of-state dealer, the gap is a week or so... no big deal. But at least for me, three months is several hundred dollars as the price of keeping my old plate number. (If you work through an in-state dealer there's no gap at all.)

Instead, when I gave them my old car yesterday, they gave me the plates and I can take them to the DMV on Monday and cancel my old insurance immediately. Two days of unnecessary insurance instead of three months.
 
Yes... that works. But then under New York law, you cannot cancel the insurance on your old car for 90 days, since the insurance company is not allowed to cancel the insurance on the old car until the plates are officially registered to the new car. That's three months worth of insurance on a car you don't own! If you work through a regular out-of-state dealer, the gap is a week or so... no big deal. But at least for me, three months is several hundred dollars as the price of keeping my old plate number. (If you work through an in-state dealer there's no gap at all.)

Instead, when I gave them my old car yesterday, they gave me the plates and I can take them to the DMV on Monday and cancel my old insurance immediately. Two days of unnecessary insurance instead of three months.
Yep! What he said :)😂
 
Back
Top