License plate wrap

Question…I’m in CA as well. When I registered the car Lucid told me they cannot order the “black plates with yellow letters” upon initial registration. Does that mean I have to wait for my plates to come in, then order via the DMV to switch to the black plates, then wait for those to come in to order from licenseplatewrap.com? That seems like a totally inefficient process that will take months. Any recommendations on a better path forward?
This is what I had to do. No big deal. As long as you have your front plate in the car, you can always explain to a cop that you're applying for the LPW. I'd hope that would get you out of a ticket, in the unlikely event you'd be facing one.

Question…I’m in CA as well. When I registered the car Lucid told me they cannot order the “black plates with yellow letters” upon initial registration. Does that mean I have to wait for my plates to come in, then order via the DMV to switch to the black plates, then wait for those to come in to order from licenseplatewrap.com? That seems like a totally inefficient process that will take months. Any recommendations on a better path forward?
Yup. Same boat. I’m waiting for the black plates to arrive now. I’m just over three months since I took delivery.

Unfortunately, you do have to go through the process you outlined. It is a pain in the ass. What's even worse is that if you get the EV HOV exemption, you have to apply for it again after you get the new plates.

Unfortunately, you do have to go through the process you outlined. It is a pain in the ass. What's even worse is that if you get the EV HOV exemption, you have to apply for it again after you get the new plates.
Are you sure about the second part? I did not have to, and I applied using the temporary Lucid plates before I got mine swapped.

After reading all the above posts, I remember an old saying. If we have to justify so hard why it is OK not to have front license plate, maybe we better have the front plate.
If the wrap-around front plate can be stripped off, who says someone cannot unscrew a front or even back plate for that matter? And after we put on wrap-around front plates,
how many states do not allow it? What is the point in not being able to drive where we want to?

Are you sure about the second part? I did not have to, and I applied using the temporary Lucid plates before I got mine swappedI

You do. I got a warning for not paying my toll on CA 73 in Orange County even though I have a Fast Trak transponder. I had not switched the license plate associated with my Lucid AGT so the plate reader at the scanning station did not associate my car with the Fast Trak transponder. I paid the toll on line and then switched the license plate associated with my car. I then went onto the Fast Trak website to change the license plate associated with the Lucid in their system. The license plate information was updated, but the system did not register the license plate as belonging to an EV. So, to qualify for the FASTTRAK EV HOV discount, I had to submit a new form with the updated license plate information. I know it's not necessary since the discount is miniscule, and my transponder seems to always show that I am travelling with a party of two or more, but I did it just to make sure the info is correct.

After reading all the above posts, I remember an old saying. If we have to justify so hard why it is OK not to have front license plate, maybe we better have the front plate.
If the wrap-around front plate can be stripped off, who says someone cannot unscrew a front or even back plate for that matter? And after we put on wrap-around front plates,
how many states do not allow it? What is the point in not being able to drive where we want to?
As long as it is allowed in the state in which it’s registered (which it is, for example, in CA) you can drive it anywhere you’d like. Vehicles not registered in that state are not subject to the same laws about license plate display as vehicles registered in that state.

Some states have poorly worded laws that are never enforced (because it would be absurd) about out-of-state vehicles needing to have both plates even if they were only issued one by their registered state, but that would almost certainly not withstand federal scrutiny as it would be absurd.

More info here: https://law.stackexchange.com/quest...car-without-front-tag-out-of-registered-state

So basically: if you have both the license plate wrap in a state in which it is legal to be registered in that way, you are free to drive it to any state you’d like, as they will not ticket you for plates that are outside their jurisdiction since the laws vary. Even if they did (which they won’t), you could fight it in court with a simple “my car is registered out of state, your honor, and my state allows the license plate wrap in lieu of a front metal plate,” and it would get dismissed.

(IANAL, this isn’t legal advice, and so on)

You do. I got a warning for not paying my toll on CA 73 in Orange County even though I have a Fast Trak transponder. I had not switched the license plate associated with my Lucid AGT so the plate reader at the scanning station did not associate my car with the Fast Trak transponder. I paid the toll on line and then switched the license plate associated with my car. I then went onto the Fast Trak website to change the license plate associated with the Lucid in their system. The license plate information was updated, but the system did not register the license plate as belonging to an EV. So, to qualify for the FASTTRAK EV HOV discount, I had to submit a new form with the updated license plate information. I know it's not necessary since the discount is miniscule, and my transponder seems to always show that I am travelling with a party of two or more, but I did it just to make sure the info is correct.
Ohhhhhh, you had to submit a new form to Fastrak for the express lane discount, you mean? Not for the HOV stickers to the DMV?

*That* would make more sense! I thought you meant you needed new stickers from the DMV.

The states that require only the rear license plate are:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • West Virginia
So, we better not go to Nevada without front plates. I was planning to drive from the coast to the Bay Area to DC and back next year after summer and before winter. Maybe I better hope that a wrap-around plate is acceptable along the route assuming that the charging infrastructure will be enough. That is a whole new discussion....

The states that require only the rear license plate are:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • West Virginia
So, we better not go to Nevada without front plates. I was planning to drive from the coast to the Bay Area to DC and back next year after summer and before winter. Maybe I better hope that a wrap-around plate is acceptable along the route assuming that the charging infrastructure will be enough. That is a whole new discussion....
You will not get a ticket for plates in a state you are not registered in. They do not know the laws of other states and will not ticket you for laws in a state that is not their own.

Moving violations? Certainly. Parking violations? Absolutely.

But not registration violations in a state that is not their own.

As long as it is allowed in the state in which it’s registered (which it is, for example, in CA) you can drive it anywhere you’d like. Vehicles not registered in that state are not subject to the same laws about license plate display as vehicles registered in that state.

Some states have poorly worded laws that are never enforced (because it would be absurd) about out-of-state vehicles needing to have both plates even if they were only issued one by their registered state, but that would almost certainly not withstand federal scrutiny as it would be absurd.

More info here: https://law.stackexchange.com/quest...car-without-front-tag-out-of-registered-state

So basically: if you have both the license plate wrap in a state in which it is legal to be registered in that way, you are free to drive it to any state you’d like, as they will not ticket you for plates that are outside their jurisdiction since the laws vary. Even if they did (which they won’t), you could fight it in court with a simple “my car is registered out of state, your honor, and my state allows the license plate wrap in lieu of a front metal plate,” and it would get dismissed.

(IANAL, this isn’t legal advice, and so on)
I will tell that judge that Borski said it is OK :D

I will tell that judge that Borski said it is OK :D
You won’t be facing a judge as you won’t be ticketed haha, but again: this isn’t legal advice and I am not an attorney. :)

The laws of the state where you license your car apply to your car no matter where you drive the car as it applies to having one or two plates on your vehicle.

If you register your cars in California, where you must have a plate on the front and the back of your car, and you go to Arizona, where Arizona registered cars are only required to have the rear plate, you must still have two California plates on your car in the required places. Since California allows the license plate wrap, that would also suffice in lieu of the front plate, even when driving in another state (provided you are not there long enough to be considered a resident and thus required to re-register with that state).

You could be cited in Arizona for not having the proper plates on your California registered vehicle, but they’d have to be familiar with that particular California law, and this is unlikely. Not having the proper plates on your car gives police a legal reason to pull you over.

Many one plate states literally only issue a single plate, so it would be impossible to drive across states if your vehicle were subject to each individual state’s laws regarding plates rather than those of the state you’re licensed in. For this reason, it would be extremely unlikely to pass federal scrutiny, and why it doesn’t happen.

Last edited:
Are these decals safe to use on PPF? Can they still be removed without damaging the PPF?

Are these decals safe to use on PPF? Can they still be removed without damaging the PPF?
I had one on top of PPF and removed it without any damage to the PPF.

Awesome thanks. I'm going to roll the dice on this rather than drill into the bumper
That's what i did until a Texas State Trooper threatened to arrest me for having a forged plate. Turns out that they are not legal in Texas but are considered a replica and not a forged plate, but you still have to have the official plate on the front.

That's what i did until a Texas State Trooper threatened to arrest me for having a forged plate. Turns out that they are not legal in Texas but are considered a replica and not a forged plate, but you still have to have the official plate on the front.
Teslas have pretty good 3rd party support for accessories and add-ons but we don't have too many options.

Maybe I'll try to tape mount a bracket...

It's iPhone and android all over again and once again I'm on the wrong side of things. 😃

Back