CA owners - how long to get HOV sticker?

JoshG

Verified Owner
Cars
AirT,M3LR,R8,NSX,718 GT4
California owners... once you got your actual license plates from DMV and then applied for the HOV sticker and sent your check, how long did it take for DMV to process it and send the stickers?

Sent in my application and check 2 weeks ago, and they haven't even cashed the check yet, so they must be backlogged. Just wanted to hear what others experienced.

California owners... once you got your actual license plates from DMV and then applied for the HOV sticker and sent your check, how long did it take for DMV to process it and send the stickers?

Sent in my application and check 2 weeks ago, and they haven't even cashed the check yet, so they must be backlogged. Just wanted to hear what others experienced.
Long time ago was 2 weeks.

Took me about 6 weeks, check was cashed, never got stickers. Had to reapply checking the “replacement, never received” box, then took another 2-4 weeks.

Took me closer to 8 weeks. They send a new registration to keep in the vehicle too.

When I got mine back in 2018, it only took a few weeks. Seems like everything is slower now.

About 8 weeks, a year ago.

When you do get them, consider using a film beneath them. I recently removed the old purple ones that are no longer valid from my other EV, and it was easy to take them off without any problem. Here's what I bought: https://a.co/d/al6pb86

Already ordered and received my film and tint for the decals. Now I just need the decals!

Overall it took 2 months for me to get the stickers. But one week after the permanent registration plate was issued. I applied for the stickers with temp plate as soon as i received the car. This was in 2022.

Do we need this if you have PPF on the car?
It can't hurt. I've removed them successfully with it using a product called Goof Off, but it may hurt your PPF. The glue on the back of those things is very tenacious.

Do we need this if you have PPF on the car?
No. The stickers stick nicely on the film and you can easily peel them off if you need to. I've done it multiple times.

Also, I got my HOV stickers in 3 weeks after mailing in the application and check in April 2023.

No. The stickers stick nicely on the film and you can easily peel them off if you need to. I've done it multiple times.

Also, I got my HOV stickers in 3 weeks after mailing in the application and check in April 2023.
You still have to be careful; they do peel off easily, but they're intended to leave residue so they're not movable. The clean-cling makes it really easy to just remove and reapply whenever.

I applied sometime in the last week of September with my temp registration, didn't wait for the actual plates.

The check was cashed on November 3rd and the stickers were delivered on November 10th.

Hmm... i was under the impression you could NOT apply for the HOV stickers on the paper/temporary tags you get at delivery. Not a huge deal, as my metal plates came remarkably fast... like 4-5 days after I got the car.

I keep an eye on my mobile banking app to see when DMV cashes my check for the HOV sticker application. still nothing after about 2 weeks.

Back