Let's talk about the Air's interior compared to competing luxury cars

I’m curious how you define ”older.” I’m 56 with two kids almost out of college and do think of myself as older as well. And while I’m a tech nerd, I don’t think I could inhabit the interior of an EQS for more than a few minutes without having a seizure.

While there are obviously rabid Tesla fanbois, I wonder if Tesla is seen by many buyers as a basic EV meant to get you from Point A to Point B. The equivalent of a Camry/CRV. So, interior luxury is pretty meaningless to this crowd.

I'm 61 empty nester. I have a close friend of mine, same age, who's eyes lit-up when he saw the screen in the EQS. I must admit when I saw it for the first time it totally caught my eye too, but as I compared the two more and more I realized I like the balance of Lucid.

I own three MB‘s and when I saw the EQS dashboard think it looks hideous. I prefer a few key knobs and buttons that with muscle memory one can use and still keep your eyes on the road.

I totally agree. In my experience the Mercedes S Class have traditionally been the choice of "older" drivers. Teslas do seem to appeal to a broad array of drivers here in the Bay Area, especially the younger crowd. I found the interior of the EQS to be way over the top and while I do like the "quilted" leather seats, the dash is just too distracting for my taste. Lets not even discuss the ugly exterior.

I could be wrong but until the big dot.com boon cars like the S-Class were for the older buyer who had become well-healed and younger people these cars were financially out of reach.

Comparing the 3, Lucid just feels like I'm compromising the least.

How many under 45s are on this forum?

How many under 45s are on this forum?

Copying/pasting what I had just posted on another thread
I hadn't seen this before, but in another thread, we're discussing Lucid styling, and this article seems relevant... and very critical.
  • "Still, I wonder. Who are these people spending $170,000 for a badass electric rocket that doesn't look or feel particularly futuristic anymore, shunning Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, and yes, even Tesla, for a brand without name recognition?"
I'm a GT reservation holder so cannot speak for the DE owners. There was a mention of "Lucid being preferred by an older audience" in another post. So, I would like to put in my thoughts about why I'm going with Lucid:
1. I'm 41 years old. Depending on which definition you use for a millennial (1980/1981), I may or may not be one but do not care either way.
2. I would never consider buying an ICE car no matter what the brand cache may be.
3. I would never consider buying from a traditional car dealership - car dealers and realtors are two sets of rent seeking social parasites that really get me worked up.
4. I have always associated the Mercedes brand with old luxury that people in my dad's generation (he's 70 years old) with money would buy.
5. For pretty much everyone in my social circle and around my age (techies in the Bay Area), a Tesla is *the* aspirational brand.
6. The main thing that sets a Lucid apart from Tesla is the build quality (from everything I have read and seen so far) and customer service

I actually went to the focus group for the EQS about 4 years ago. The specs / price proposed were very different (better range/lower price). They didn't have a working Hyperscreen, just a mock up. People generally liked it at the time, but I think what is hurting the implementation is MBs obsession with going over the top with LED accent lights. I've seen videos that they can pulse in reaction to accel/decel ... I think that the quantity and implementation are just too distracting. Plus MB dealers are just charging too crazy of an ADM for a vehicle that is pretty bland looking, has low range and is over priced!!

I'm 39 and reserved when I was 36. Lucid was just different, walking that line between spartan EV and luxury. I would actually consider the 40-50s the target Lucid Customer base where the people in this group are well established enough to be able to afford a car at this price. The Model 3 and Model Y are good enough, but when you have a little more disposable income, Lucid is just nicer without the old man vibes of MB.

Look at the people pictured in Lucid's marketing -- mid 40s plus.

Advertising is aspirational. I aspire to be mid-40s plus. Of course, I'm 56. But one can dream.
Yep, you're in their sweet spot too! There's room for many of us -- I'm 72 (along with a bunch of others who have the energy and focus :) )

Advertising is aspirational. I aspire to be mid-40s plus. Of course, I'm 56. But one can dream.
I’m in the same boat( except 63) I also aspire / identify as filthy rich. I’m hoping a pair of Ferragamo loafers and a Dolce and Gabbana sport coat sell that image. ;-)

I’m in the same boat( except 63) I also aspire / identify as filthy rich. I’m hoping a pair of Ferragamo loafers and a Dolce and Gabbana sport coat sell that image. ;-)
I’m 59 so it looks like I Am in the middle of the range. LOL

Copying/pasting what I had just posted on another thread

I'm a GT reservation holder so cannot speak for the DE owners. There was a mention of "Lucid being preferred by an older audience" in another post. So, I would like to put in my thoughts about why I'm going with Lucid:
1. I'm 41 years old. Depending on which definition you use for a millennial (1980/1981), I may or may not be one but do not care either way.
2. I would never consider buying an ICE car no matter what the brand cache may be.
3. I would never consider buying from a traditional car dealership - car dealers and realtors are two sets of rent seeking social parasites that really get me worked up.
4. I have always associated the Mercedes brand with old luxury that people in my dad's generation (he's 70 years old) with money would buy.
5. For pretty much everyone in my social circle and around my age (techies in the Bay Area), a Tesla is *the* aspirational brand.
6. The main thing that sets a Lucid apart from Tesla is the build quality (from everything I have read and seen so far) and customer service
I think this is a great list of items to determine definitively if you are a millennial. I hear Jeff Foxworthy's voice saying "you might be a millennial if...". Kidding of course, but never buying an ICE or from a dealership definitely would seem to be a generational dividing line ;).

Through a series of events, my wife and I are going to give my son her Prius. She wanted to get another hybrid or an alt fuel or EV. She really liked the look of the Tesla Model S, but did not like the Musky taint of the car (if you catch my drift). While doing research, I stumbled onto the Lucid and we both REALLY liked the look of the car. The fact that it is slotted as a Tesla Model S competitor really helped because she wanted a good looking car AND it sticks it to Elon.

As I did more research, watched videos, joined forums, there has not been a thing that has convinced me this is going to be a bad decision. If anything, every time I watch a video or read a review, I'm more convinced that ever that we are making a good call.

We are both 56. Getting this car will mean I'll have to delay retirement a year or two, but I really like the car.....so we take the good with the bad. I like the funkiness of the Ioniq 5 too. I suspect that car may be a real thorn in the Model 3/Y's side in terms of sales. It's too bad that the dealerships are marking it up (just give us your Federal Tax Credit in advance.....thank you.....) Jerks.

Through a series of events, my wife and I are going to give my son her Prius. She wanted to get another hybrid or an alt fuel or EV. She really liked the look of the Tesla Model S, but did not like the Musky taint of the car (if you catch my drift). While doing research, I stumbled onto the Lucid and we both REALLY liked the look of the car. The fact that it is slotted as a Tesla Model S competitor really helped because she wanted a good looking car AND it sticks it to Elon.

As I did more research, watched videos, joined forums, there has not been a thing that has convinced me this is going to be a bad decision. If anything, every time I watch a video or read a review, I'm more convinced that ever that we are making a good call.

We are both 56. Getting this car will mean I'll have to delay retirement a year or two, but I really like the car.....so we take the good with the bad. I like the funkiness of the Ioniq 5 too. I suspect that car may be a real thorn in the Model 3/Y's side in terms of sales. It's too bad that the dealerships are marking it up (just give us your Federal Tax Credit in advance.....thank you.....) Jerks.

We're in a similar boat, I'm 56. Wife doesn't want a car note, but just paid $2,000 for new brakes and rotors on her Lexus 450h. I've been joking that in 8.5 years I am going to drop off our daughter at her first day in college and keep going to retirement.

Back