Let's talk about the Air's interior compared to competing luxury cars

I disagree. As someone coming from a Taycan Turbo S with an MSRP of $205k, the Lucid Air GT seems like a steal. It's very similarly equipped compared to my Taycan, actually better in many ways. It has over the air updates, much better range, 800hp versus 616hp (750hp for 2 seconds under launch control), a lot more room, and better materials. The Taycan has Porsche driving dynamics, and superior brakes, but not much else. For the price of an Air GT you are actually looking at a mid level Taycan 4S, which is much less competitive.

When compared to the EQS, the Air GT has the AMG level of performance. The AMG version will be similarly priced, or even more expensive, but still lack the range of the Air GT. Yes the EQS is probably more "luxurious" in the traditional sense, and has a more futuristic interior, but as stated in one of the other threads, I much prefer the Scandinavian interior design of the Air. The Air GT probably has superior driving dynamics compared to the Mercedes.

When compared to a Tesla Model S Plaid, again the Lucid has much better range, and is a couple steps up in terms of luxury and interior design. It may not be quite as fast as the Model S Plaid, but 800hp is getting beyond the needs for most people. The Tesla also feels a generation old at this point. Honestly I would argue that the Model S should be much more like the Lucid Air today. It would have been a better design direction for Tesla.

Overall I don't think there is much that competes with the Air GT in terms of price at the moment. Granted any of these cars will depreciate like a brick in a normal used car market. Who knows what resale values will look like for the next 12-24 months. But once supply chain pressure is released, I expect the Lucid to hold its own in terms of price, and resale value.
As far as pricing is concerned, Fletcher Jones Newport Beach, CA is charging a dealer premium of $25k for the EQS 450 and $50k for the EQS 580. Who in their right mind would be willing to pay that premium, before even taking into account future vehicle depreciation that happens to all cars from the day you drive it off the lot! As far as esthetics go,I test drove the EQS 450 a couple of weeks ago and the interior was a disappointment. Whatever happened to German teutonic restraint? At least with the EQS 450, the led screen was smaller but the interior still was embellished with cheap plastic and over designed. It’s NOTHING like a 500S! The much lower driving range is also a negative. Mechanically, the EQS 450 drives well and has good insulation but the interior is cheap and gaudy. The Europeans don’t get it that it’s not simply a matter of replacing a gas engine with an electric motor and batteries. EV buyers are looking for a completely different interior without the typical busy dials, knobs and switches. You see this same approach with the Taycans, interior looks like a conventional gas model except for a bigger screen.

Interestingly, Ford & GM announced over the weekend that their dealers who charged over MSRP would get a cut in their allocations.

Kudos to Ford & GM for reigning in the sleazy dealers.

Interestingly, Ford & GM announced over the weekend that their dealers who charged over MSRP would get a cut in their allocations.

Kudos to Ford & GM for reigning in the sleazy dealers.
How do they know?

As far as pricing is concerned, Fletcher Jones Newport Beach, CA is charging a dealer premium of $25k for the EQS 450 and $50k for the EQS 580. Who in their right mind would be willing to pay that premium, before even taking into account future vehicle depreciation that happens to all cars from the day you drive it off the lot! As far as esthetics go,I test drove the EQS 450 a couple of weeks ago and the interior was a disappointment. Whatever happened to German teutonic restraint? At least with the EQS 450, the led screen was smaller but the interior still was embellished with cheap plastic and over designed. It’s NOTHING like a 500S! The much lower driving range is also a negative. Mechanically, the EQS 450 drives well and has good insulation but the interior is cheap and gaudy. The Europeans don’t get it that it’s not simply a matter of replacing a gas engine with an electric motor and batteries. EV buyers are looking for a completely different interior without the typical busy dials, knobs and switches. You see this same approach with the Taycans, interior looks like a conventional gas model except for a bigger screen.
FJ is HORRIBLE! I had an E Class Cabrio ordered (before the chip debacle) and had an agreed upon price (approx $3K below invoice), it took FOREVER for the vehicle to be built and put on a vessel. As the vehicle was arriving at the port, I was told that "sorry we can't honor that price any more ... chip shortage, yada yada yada" ... they then wanted to charge me about $7K OVER MSRP ... with pushing they came down to $4K OVER MSRP ... this was approx $9K more than our agreed upon price. Seeing as I didn't need the car, I told them no and got my deposit back. I'm sure they found someone willing to pay EVEN MORE. It is NO surprise that they are trying to screw over EQS customers even though in Newport Beach, the extra cost is a rounding error for them. This experience has soured me from the MB brand and don't plan on going back. Looking forward to my Lucid!!!

Just shows you how MB values its customers. When you see Ford, GM & Hyundai coming out and telling dealers to stop it or lose deliveries they are at least looking after its brand and customers interests. MB has the power to also do this and they choose not to so for me, based on this I would never consider buying a MB ever.

Mercedes dealer quoted me 10k more on MSRP for a custom order of EQS. Mercedes need to do something about it or else loose potential buyers.

Mercedes dealer quoted me 10k more on MSRP for a custom order of EQS. Mercedes need to do something about it or else loose potential buyers.
No they should continue to do it and push more people toward Lucid. This is the way

What I have found somewhat amazing is the fact that I am treated so differently at the Mercedes Benz and BMW dealers here is town even though they are both owned by Hendrick. I am treated much better at BMW than at MB. I would not have expected this to be the case given the common ownership, but it is. My wife drives a GLS 450 and I drive a 2014 M5. The experience, from sales to service, is much better at BMW. It was a major consideration when I was looking at Lucid vs MB and Lucid doesn't even have a service center within 600 miles. I think Lucid will value me as a customer more than MB, at least I am hoping so.

Lucid's decision midstream to dispense with an air suspension originally bothered me quite a bit. However, after reading up on things such as hysteresis lag in air suspensions and tests of coils vs. air springs in trucking applications, I began to suspect that Rawlinson (who comes from Jaguar and Lotus) knew what he was doing.

Now that we have both a Lucid Air and a Tesla Model S Plaid (with air suspension) in the garage, I can attest that the Lucid handles better and rides better than the Tesla. The Plaid has a serious problem with the front end becoming unplanted during hard acceleration, to the point that we dare not get all the way into the throttle. Tesla tried to address this with an OTA modification of the calibration, but it made barely any difference. The Air stays much more planted in the same circumstances, enabling more of its accelerative prowess to be used safely.

Other than ride height adjustment, I can see absolutely no point in putting an air suspension in the Air.
I too have a Plaid in the garage and I agree 100% with your analysis. I would have liked the option of a front end lift as I have to crawl at an angle to keep the nose from hitting the edge of the driveway.

I too have a Plaid in the garage and I agree 100% with your analysis. I would have liked the option of a front end lift as I have to crawl at an angle to keep the nose from hitting the edge of the driveway.
So for you guys who both have a Plaid and a DE, which one do you find yourself wanting to drive more? If it's the DE, is it because it's new or because it's better?

So for you guys who both have a Plaid and a DE, which one do you find yourself wanting to drive more? If it's the DE, is it because it's new or because it's better?
It's hard to separate the new factor from the equation. However, there is no question that Lucid does drive better. The Tesla arrived mid-September 2021 and has been driven a total of 4,450 miles since. The Lucid arrived on December 30th and has been driven 1950 miles. Since we drive about 1200 miles a month It seems we are using the Lucid 80% of the time since its arrival. What I find interesting is how much TESLA charges for the Plaid over the standard car. If you add the cost of the FSD, the extra battery pack, and the leather interior and deduct the Fed credit and the Lucid is the better deal.

Attachments

• Tesla model S built sheet Invoice .jpg
    Tesla model S built sheet Invoice .jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 138
It's hard to separate the new factor from the equation. However, there is no question that Lucid does drive better. The Tesla arrived mid-September 2021 and has been driven a total of 4,450 miles since. The Lucid arrived on December 30th and has been driven 1950 miles. Since we drive about 1200 miles a month It seems we are using the Lucid 80% of the time since its arrival. What I find interesting is how much TESLA charges for the Plaid over the standard car. If you add the cost of the FSD, the extra battery pack, and the leather interior and deduct the Fed credit and the Lucid is the better deal.
Since I have your ear, in what situation would you say, I'd rather be driving the Plaid than the Lucid?

Since I have your ear, in what situation would you say, I'd rather be driving the Plaid than the Lucid?
The Opposite. We accumulated most of the 4450 miles on the Tesla in 2021. 4 months x approx 1k miles. Since then we have driven the Lucid 2k miles and the Tesla around 300. We owned TESLA's since the first model S and we plan to keep it until the EA gets their reliability and availability close to the Supercharger network.

Just shows you how MB values its customers. When you see Ford, GM & Hyundai coming out and telling dealers to stop it or lose deliveries they are at least looking after its brand and customers interests. MB has the power to also do this and they choose not to so for me, based on this I would never consider buying a MB ever.
My last two cars were Mercedes. Prior to the Lucid, I had a 2022 E63 AMG wagon on order, which Mercedes cancelled - twice. I have a fully loaded EQS 580 on order and the delivery timeline is out in October at this point (not even confirmed yet). Every MB dealer I've talked to has been trying to extract $25k and $50k markups on the 450 and 580 respectively if they're not already ordered. Leaves me extremely frustrated and concerned that I won't have them honor the price we'd already agreed on for my order.

My last two cars were Mercedes. Prior to the Lucid, I had a 2022 E63 AMG wagon on order, which Mercedes cancelled - twice. I have a fully loaded EQS 580 on order and the delivery timeline is out in October at this point (not even confirmed yet). Every MB dealer I've talked to has been trying to extract $25k and $50k markups on the 450 and 580 respectively if they're not already ordered. Leaves me extremely frustrated and concerned that I won't have them honor the price we'd already agreed on for my order.
They tried to F-me over for my E-Cabriolet order, so expect that they will do the same to you. It's REALLY bad for customer satisfaction as MB customers tend to change vehicles often and this will sour them to the brand. I would proactively reach out to MBUSA and tell them your concerns and how other brands are ACTIVELY discouraging the gouging!

Back