Let's talk about the Air's interior compared to competing luxury cars

I've got the 2019 Prestige with the following issues

• Virtual cockpit resets to default very every few weeks
  • Shortcut icons disappear
  • MyAudi is constantly having connectivity issues to the car
  • Customize the MMI home screen and it resets every couple of weeks
  • Online map updates take days if not weeks to install
  • Tons of random warning messages when nothing is actually wrong.

I've given up doing any customization on the MMI and not even bothering with the MyAudi app anymore. It's been weeks since I've been able to get the app to connect to the car. You raise these issues with Audi and the stock standard response is "this is the first we're hearing of this" when it's in numerous forums of people having issues. On top of that, the key fob is so sensitive that every now and then you'll come out to see your trunk open. The trunk will try and close on you whilst you're getting items out. When it's raining, forget about using the rear view camera as you can't see anything. The final nail in the coffin for me was when the car navigated me to an EA station in the middle of nowhere that it KNEW was completely offline. EA had pulled all the chargers out for maintenance \ replacement and the navigation system actually knows which EA stations are online and being used but the wonderful software programmers at Audi didn't think to tweak the algorithm that if all chargers are red either route somewhere else or flag a warning message. I had to drop my speed to under 50mph on the freeway to make it to the next charger.

I've given up complaining to Audi as they have no interest in fixing the issues and only selling new cars. I asked for a lease buyback and VW refused because "software" issues aren't a valid justification even though it's been with them numerous times to get the software re-flashed or if an update is available to have it applied.
Wow. Mine is a 21 Sportback and the only issue I’ve had relative to yours is I have gotten accidenta trunk openings due to the key sensitivity. These have always happened in the garage, so no harm done, but annoying.

Wow. Mine is a 21 Sportback and the only issue I’ve had relative to yours is I have gotten accidenta trunk openings due to the key sensitivity. These have always happened in the garage, so no harm done, but annoying.

Yeah, my suspicion is the later models got the kinks ironed out but this is the issue with traditional automakers. They fix the issues for future models and leaves the existing customers for dead. The software model is flawed and they’re too dumb to get with the times!

Audi has a history of inconsistent use of infotainment and driver assistance hardware across its model lines. I have owned five Audis (an A6, and S6 wagon, and three R8s). The R8s, though by far the most expensive model in the Audi lineup, always used software and interfaces from the prior generation of Audis and left it to the A8 to roll out the newest versions.

As I focused on the driving aspects of the R8s, the chronically-outdated software never bothered me, but it drove some reviewers nuts.

The only thing I would want from the EQS in the Air is the go and brake pedals.

The 3 screens in 1 hyperscreen feels like a visual assault.

The EQS's discothèque lighting is way way over the top.

The only thing I would want from the EQS in the Air is the go and brake pedals.

The 3 screens in 1 hyperscreen feels like a visual assault.

The EQS's discothèque lighting is way way over the top.

The lighting can be turned off in the EQS or adjusted to any brightness level, but it cannot be turned on the Lucid. So on this dimension the EQS is clearly superior.

The car is also available without a hyper screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lighting can be turned off in the EQS or adjusted to any brightness level, but it cannot be turned on the Lucid.

Incorrect. In the Lucid, the interior lighting can be adjusted for both color and intensity, all the way to off. What is different is that in the Air the light strips are recessed (except along the canopy spine in the roof) so that you get an indirect glow whereas in the EQS many of the light strips are exposed so that it's as if you're looking at neon lights on the Vegas strip:

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.27.20 PM.png

Incorrect. In the Lucid, the interior lighting can be adjusted for both color and intensity, all the way to off. What is different is that in the Air the light strips are recessed (except along the canopy spine in the roof) so that you get an indirect glow whereas in the EQS many of the light strips are exposed so that it's as if you're looking at neon lights on the Vegas strip:

View attachment 482

Do you have any pictures of your car's interior at night?

Much softer and muted vs the Mercedes. The only direct lighting seems to be the strip on the doors and of course the overhead centerline strip. It does remind me of a jet cockpit. I can’t wait to fiddle with the colors and brightness of mine. My wife’s Range Rover Velar is very similar in concept, all glass screens and multiple hidden strips and spots of indirect color adjustable lighting. I’m sure on he Lucid team took note of this when the Velar debuted in2017. Thankfully they didn’t go overboard like the Mercedes.

Much softer and muted vs the Mercedes. The only direct lighting seems to be the strip on the doors and of course the overhead centerline strip. It does remind me of a jet cockpit. I can’t wait to fiddle with the colors and brightness of mine. My wife’s Range Rover Velar is very similar in concept, all glass screens and multiple hidden strips and spots of indirect color adjustable lighting. I’m sure on he Lucid team took note of this when the Velar debuted in2017. Thankfully they didn’t go overboard like the Mercedes.
The door strips are behind the rest. Point direct strip is the top one, everything else is hidden.

Do you have any pictures of your car's interior at night?

This was taken at dusk. If I remember correctly, the "Solitude" palette set to about 75% intensity. The interior lighting is never "in your face" even on the higher settings. However, when you need to find things or work in the interior in the dark, the dome lights light it up like a stadium. Lucid has done a very good job with the interior lighting of this vehicle.

PXL_20220106_224746821.jpg

Audi has a history of inconsistent use of infotainment and driver assistance hardware across its model lines. I have owned five Audis (an A6, and S6 wagon, and three R8s). The R8s, though by far the most expensive model in the Audi lineup, always used software and interfaces from the prior generation of Audis and left it to the A8 to roll out the newest versions.

As I focused on the driving aspects of the R8s, the chronically-outdated software never bothered me, but it drove some reviewers nuts.

Using old but tested products is the Lexus approach. It provides greater reliability at the cost of older technology.

Doesn't Lexus have one of the highest consumer ratings?

I think their clientele is older so it's very possible they are very satisfied with technology they are comfortable with and therefore they're highly rated.

I think their clientele is older so it's very possible they are very satisfied with technology they are comfortable with and therefore they're highly rated.
I believe that is the case.

move looked at Lexus, and I would be incredibly disappointed with one of their vehicles, the tech is just very very antiquated.

I believe that is the case.

move looked at Lexus, and I would be incredibly disappointed with one of their vehicles, the tech is just very very antiquated.

Irony is this is the same target for Lucid. Software shouldn't be a hang up in a car that is designed to driven by my mom, or what was said in the LUCID video.

Irony is this is the same target for Lucid. Software shouldn't be a hang up in a car that is designed to driven by my mom, or what was said in the LUCID video.

Somewhat. But I feel like a pretty good piece of Lexus buyers are hoping it'll still work with their flip phones. It's well matured technology rather than leading edge

Back