Key fob battery usage

I only had to do one battery replacement in 14 months in the first car.

The Service Center told me to expect the battery to last no more than three months. We have our Tesla Model S parked right next to the Lucid in the garage and actually keep the Tesla fob in the garage. (We have a 1,970 sq ft garage, so the Tesla fob is almost 50' away from the car.). The Tesla fob battery has only been replaced once since we got that car in August 2021. The Lucid fob is kept inside the house in the same place where we kept the fob for the earlier Lucid. Something has changed in the Lucid car/battery interface.
Try 2 months

In the 14 months we had our first Lucid, I had to replace a fob battery only once. The second Lucid, which we have had for only about three months, is already on its third battery. I replaced the battery in both fobs as soon as we got the second car. One fob was stored in its box well out of range of the car. The fob we use daily began to fail to unlock the doors consistently (sometimes I had to use a key card and sometimes also punch in my PIN). I also started seeing intermittent "key fob not detected" messages while driving.

The Service Center put a new battery in that fob on July 5, saying these were all symptoms of its battery's getting weak. In a little over a week, the symptoms returned. Customer Service recommended I change the battery again, as the one the Service Center put in might have been bad. So I replaced the battery again this past Tuesday (July 18) with batteries I had just purchased.

Yesterday, the fob quit communicating with the car again, with the earlier symptoms returning. Today I took the spare fob out of its storage box to see if it would work. It did not work, even though the battery I put in it about three months ago had barely been used. I changed the battery, and it began to work, suggesting the problems with the first fob were with the fob and not with the car itself.

I love the car, but getting into it and starting it up has been a crap shoot ever since we got our first Lucid 19 months ago. During the UX 1.0 era, the car's software problems made the job iffy. UX 2.0 seemed to fix a lot of those problems, but now I have key fobs that go through batteries like a kid through birthday cake and/or have other issues. (I'm told part of the service visit next week will be to replace the fob itself.)

It's a forlorn hope, but when the Gravity comes out, I wish it would have an old-fashioned lock and key. Making entry and start up reliably accessible via software is apparently beyond Lucid's ability for the time being. They can make a tarmac-hugging beast that goes over 200 mph, but you probably won't be able to get in the damn thing or start it up half the time unless you remember to keep your key card with you and remember your PIN.
Super curious maybe the Fobs themselves are defective cause you said your first Lucid never had the issue. What have you done ✅ to fix your second one? Maybe I should just ask Lucid to replace the fobs ??

Super curious maybe the Fobs themselves are defective cause you said your first Lucid never had the issue. What have you done ✅ to fix your second one? Maybe I should just ask Lucid to replace the fobs ??

I haven't done anything. Lucid puts in a new fob battery every time the car goes to the shop, and lately that has meant pretty frequently, so I've got no gauge on the life of the fob battery right now.

I just replaced mine for the first time. I purchased my car Dec ‘22. I carry the fob with me at all times. My phone is my digital key. Maybe that’s the reason for the fobs extended battery life. I do know for a fact that the fob is always communicating with the car and those faraday bags are useless. They do not keep the fob from being recognized by the car. So I feel that I am lucky that my battery just failed. It read 3.01V. Not that much degradation in eleven months.

I do know for a fact that the fob is always communicating with the car and those faraday bags are useless. They do not keep the fob from being recognized by the car. So I feel that I am lucky that my battery just failed. It read 3.01V. Not that much degradation in eleven months.
The Faraday bag does help in my case. When I don’t want the car constantly locking & unlocking when I’m working or waking around the car, the Faraday bag stops the fob from communicating with the car.

The Faraday bag does help in my case. When I don’t want the car constantly locking & unlocking when I’m working or waking around the car, the Faraday bag stops the fob from communicating with the car.
You could turn off passive unlock

These fobs are TERRIBLE!!! (or turrable if your Chuck Barkley!) I swear it has to be a problem with the car itself and they are just blaming the fobs. I've had my car for just over a year. I've had at least 4 or 5 different fobs and replaced batteries multiple times. No matter which fob or new battery, I can still be standing at the car for a few seconds....literally AT THE DOOR, before the car unlocks.

It has to be the car's fob sensor or whatever it's called.

These fobs are TERRIBLE!!! (or turrable if your Chuck Barkley!) I swear it has to be a problem with the car itself and they are just blaming the fobs. I've had my car for just over a year. I've had at least 4 or 5 different fobs and replaced batteries multiple times. No matter which fob or new battery, I can still be standing at the car for a few seconds....literally AT THE DOOR, before the car unlocks.

It has to be the car's fob sensor or whatever it's called.
Okay so sounds like it’s not the fob did you ask them to replace it for you? I wonder if Lucid will address this seems like fundamental to the car

Okay so sounds like it’s not the fob did you ask them to replace it for you? I wonder if Lucid will address this seems like fundamental to the car
At my annual service, I mentioned this as a possible cause rather than the fobs and was politely dismissed. I don't think they're considering that. I will, however, bring it up with the internal team rather than my service guy.

At my annual service, I mentioned this as a possible cause rather than the fobs and was politely dismissed. I don't think they're considering that. I will, however, bring it up with the internal team rather than my service guy.
Mobile key for the win! Haven’t touched the fob in many months.

Mobile key for the win! Haven’t touched the fob in many months.
Is there a mobile key user guide on here somewhere? A quick search turned up hundreds of results but not a guide.

Is there a mobile key user guide on here somewhere? A quick search turned up hundreds of results but not a guide.
Lucidupdates.com has a walk through setting up the mobile key

Lucidupdates.com has a walk through setting up the mobile key
Thanks! I'll try this.

Quick question: Do you need to enter a PIN to drive using mobile key?

AHA! Now I remember why I didn't use Mobile Key. My home office is too close to the garage. As I type this, my phone is connected to my Lucid. DAMNIT!

AHA! Now I remember why I didn't use Mobile Key. My home office is too close to the garage. As I type this, my phone is connected to my Lucid. DAMNIT!
Just turn off passive unlock.

Back