Key fob battery usage

GKHoppy

Cars
Air Grand Touring
Went through 2 key fob batteries in two months. Likely issue is key fob stored too close to car (in my case, in kitchen drawer 33'4'' from car), which causes fob and car to continuously communicate. Solutions: (a) wrap fob in aluminum foil when not using (suggestion from Lucid Service Dept.), (b) get a Panasonic brand battery with lifetime replacements ($21.99 at Batteries+Bulbs; they'll replace unlimited number of times); and/or (c) buy a Faraday key fob pouch, which blocks all communications to/from fob (e.g., 2 Faraday fob bags available from Amazon for $9.99) for storing fobs when not being used. I've purchased the Panasonic battery for one fob and have ordered the Faraday bags from Amazon. I'll let you know if this resolves fob battery depletion issue. BTW, Lucid should put its logo on Faraday fob bags and give them to new owners when car delivered.

Went through 2 key fob batteries in two months. Likely issue is key fob stored too close to car (in my case, in kitchen drawer 33'4'' from car), which causes fob and car to continuously communicate. Solutions: (a) wrap fob in aluminum foil when not using (suggestion from Lucid Service Dept.), (b) get a Panasonic brand battery with lifetime replacements ($21.99 at Batteries+Bulbs; they'll replace unlimited number of times); and/or (c) buy a Faraday key fob pouch, which blocks all communications to/from fob (e.g., 2 Faraday fob bags available from Amazon for $9.99) for storing fobs when not being used. I've purchased the Panasonic battery for one fob and have ordered the Faraday bags from Amazon. I'll let you know if this resolves fob battery depletion issue. BTW, Lucid should put its logo on Faraday fob bags and give them to new owners when car delivered.
could you provide a link to the Batteries+Bulbs site with the unlimited replacements? I can't find them. Thanks

thanks for the quick reply - I guess I can't find the lifetime replacement option or Panasonic CR2032
That's the website. Lifetime replacement option may be something provided by Oregon franchisees of Batteries+Bulbs, although I was told the replacement option is available nationally. I shopped at one of their stores in the Portland, Oregon area, not online.

I bought an iron box from Etsy (link here) that seems to do the trick. Fortunately I like look of it but may not be for everyone.

Tried a Faraday pouch from Amazon but it didn't block well enough.

Alternatively, name-brand CR2032 batteries on Amazon are like $9 shipped for a 6-pack.

My fob battery lasted about 6 months
Of the 4 cars I have with fobs now and 5 total, this one goes the craziest when that little battery is exhausted

We have gone through 4 batteries in 2 months between our two fobs. I am so frustrated - today the car just went crazy when both of our fobs were 'dead'. We even had trouble with valet card not working at the same time. Then we got the car open finally with my husband's phone, but it would not let us take the car out of park, even after entering our code. Then the car wouldn't turn off!! Two calls and long holds with Lucid and we had no answers, but to keep trying the valet card at the side column camera. We finally got the car to turn off. After dinner I tried swapping the batteries, less than a month after I replaced them before. After I did that it opened up and started just fine. It just seems nuts that we would be replacing that fob battery every month. I have seen other Lucid owners recommending a faraday bag or box. I am not seeing how that would decrease the battery usage - the fob doesn't stop sending out a signal - so wouldn't the battery still be used even while it's in the box or bag? Our keys are kept on our kitchen counter and our car is outside about 45-50 feet away from the counter where the keys are. I paid a lot of money for this car and I would like to consistently be able to go out and get in it and drive away.

We have gone through 4 batteries in 2 months between our two fobs. I am so frustrated - today the car just went crazy when both of our fobs were 'dead'. We even had trouble with valet card not working at the same time. Then we got the car open finally with my husband's phone, but it would not let us take the car out of park, even after entering our code. Then the car wouldn't turn off!! Two calls and long holds with Lucid and we had no answers, but to keep trying the valet card at the side column camera. We finally got the car to turn off. After dinner I tried swapping the batteries, less than a month after I replaced them before. After I did that it opened up and started just fine. It just seems nuts that we would be replacing that fob battery every month. I have seen other Lucid owners recommending a faraday bag or box. I am not seeing how that would decrease the battery usage - the fob doesn't stop sending out a signal - so wouldn't the battery still be used even while it's in the box or bag? Our keys are kept on our kitchen counter and our car is outside about 45-50 feet away from the counter where the keys are. I paid a lot of money for this car and I would like to consistently be able to go out and get in it and drive away.
The fobs talk to each other, you keep them in a separate farday pouch and I haven't had to replace my batteries for 6 months already.

I got the two pack of faraday pouches from Amazon too, two for $9.48. They work really well. I can be right next to the car door and if I haven't taken the fob out of the pouch, the car doesn't wake up. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks into it, so I'm not sure how long the batteries last. The ones in the fob when I picked it up lasted less than two weeks.

Use mobile key instead.

My fobs are in two separate Faraday pouches next to each other and about ten feet from the car. They've been fine. Like a previous poster said, under $10 for the pair on Amazon.

Two tips. 1. A faraday box or bag is your friend. It cuts the signal. No more constantly replacing batteries. And 2., make sure not to buy generic batteries, as they do seem to run out faster.

They did run out rather quickly in the beginning. I bought a whole box of 20 batteries - right before the update that fixed some of their issues, of course. I did have mine die on me while I was out shopping once. I used the app to open the car (I don't have a mobile key set up) and was able to drive home with the dead fob.

Use mobile key instead.
Lucid told me to delete it as it kept conflicting with my fob, as I always carry my phone and my fob in my purse. And my parking area is next to my garden, so every time I would go outside to garden or take the trash out, the car is turning on and off constantly, as I take my phone with me. So we opted to only use our fobs.

Lucid told me to delete it as it kept conflicting with my fob, as I always carry my phone and my fob in my purse. And my parking area is next to my garden, so every time I would go outside to garden or take the trash out, the car is turning on and off constantly, as I take my phone with me. So we opted to only use our fobs.
The car opening and closing as you approach and walk away is the intended behavior. Mobile key is working! No big deal if it opens and closes when you walk by. If you are working outside and want to defeat this, temporarily turn off Bluetooth on your phone.

The car opening and closing as you approach and walk away is the intended behavior. Mobile key is working! No big deal if it opens and closes when you walk by. If you are working outside and want to defeat this, temporarily turn off Bluetooth on your phone.
Well, then I can’t use by Bluetooth speaker for music while I am gardening...1st world problems right! But we were having multiple occasions of the car not opening due to my phone and my fob or my phone and my husband's phone both giving signals to the car and confusing it. My husband and often are both in the car together so both phones were signaling it. Lucid trouble shot it several times and felt the best solution was to unpair my phone as a key. We did that and the problems stopped. Until now with the fobs both dying about once a month. I will order Faraday bags and see if that helps. We tried with 2 different phone reps to get the car to unlock with both fobs, they said you could put the dead fob at the lower end of the column between the drivers door and it would open with a dead fob. We never achieved that. We even had issue with the valet card. So something is not working right. They replaced the column or the column glass about a month ago too, so wondering if the wiring to that isn't right?

Well, then I can’t use by Bluetooth speaker for music while I am gardening...1st world problems right!
You can turn off Bluetooth for just the Lucid app within Settings -> Lucid.
We tried with 2 different phone reps to get the car to unlock with both fobs, they said you could put the dead fob at the lower end of the column between the drivers door and it would open with a dead fob. We never achieved that.
I never got that to work with a dead fob either, actually.

Back