• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Key fob battery usage

Well, then I can’t use by Bluetooth speaker for music while I am gardening...1st world problems right! But we were having multiple occasions of the car not opening due to my phone and my fob or my phone and my husband's phone both giving signals to the car and confusing it. My husband and often are both in the car together so both phones were signaling it. Lucid trouble shot it several times and felt the best solution was to unpair my phone as a key. We did that and the problems stopped. Until now with the fobs both dying about once a month. I will order Faraday bags and see if that helps. We tried with 2 different phone reps to get the car to unlock with both fobs, they said you could put the dead fob at the lower end of the column between the drivers door and it would open with a dead fob. We never achieved that. We even had issue with the valet card. So something is not working right. They replaced the column or the column glass about a month ago too, so wondering if the wiring to that isn't right?
Did you hold the key up and push the handle at the same time?

Also in the right spot?

Screenshot_20230502_175430_Drive.jpg

Went through 2 key fob batteries in two months. Likely issue is key fob stored too close to car (in my case, in kitchen drawer 33'4'' from car), which causes fob and car to continuously communicate.
Same problem with me and my FOBs tho mine are no where near each other and neither near the car. Have used mobile in the past but that was software 1.X so maybe time to try again. Still think they should improve the FOB so I can unlock the car more than 12 inches away from the window!

The fobs talk to each other, you keep them in a separate farday pouch and I haven't had to replace my batteries for 6 months already.

The fobs definitely do NOT "talk" to each other....

Where did that information originate ?

The fobs definitely do NOT "talk" to each other....

Where did that information originate ?
From Lucid service techs lol.

The owners manual says that "The vehicle alerts you with a ‘Key fob Battery Low’ message on the Cockpit Panel" when they need replacement. Service has told me on a couple of occasions to replace the fob batteries to troubleshoot issues, but I've never once seen this message. Has anyone had this popup?

The owners manual says that "The vehicle alerts you with a ‘Key fob Battery Low’ message on the Cockpit Panel" when they need replacement. Service has told me on a couple of occasions to replace the fob batteries to troubleshoot issues, but I've never once seen this message. Has anyone had this popup?
Seen that ONCE but usually can tell my battery low as I go searching of my FOB to get right up against the car for it to work! LOL
PS: Does anyone know where the FOB sensor is on the car?

YMMV, and I haven't tried this personally yet... For a dead key fob battery:

"Even when the key fob battery has died, it is possible to access the car. Press the door handle to lock or unlock the car, then hold the key fob against the driver's side center pillar under the camera area to perform a lock/unlock action."

I don't know where the fob Bluetooth receiver is inside the car though. That would be useful info for a low battery case.

Whelp, yesterday, the key fob worked fine yesterday, with no low battery warning (which I have NEVER seen ... has anyone else?). Today, the vehicle didn't respond to the fob and using my multimeter, the battery voltage measured ~2.8V ... changed battery and back to normal. Lucid REALLY needs to root cause this issue and resolve. This is the 4th battery I've gone through since end of December. I think for my other vehicles, I've changed the fob battery maybe once every 2 to 3 years.

And of course, the mobile key was zapped ... guess I need to repair again and verify that the mobile key works after each FW update. I keep BT access disabled to the Lucid app as my office is right above the garage and the mobile key would trigger the vehicle to unlock often.

My fob died on me today. Only had car for ~3 weeks! Lol
I opened car with app and then was forced to put in PIN. So I learned a little about that element.
I replaced the battery. Did notice that the battery doesnt sit that well within the fob. Not sure if that's related.

My fob died on me today. Only had car for ~3 weeks! Lol
I opened car with app and then was forced to put in PIN. So I learned a little about that element.
I replaced the battery. Did notice that the battery doesnt sit that well within the fob. Not sure if that's related.
No, the battery is probably just older from the factory. The new one should last a lot longer than that. That said, have you considered using Mobile Key instead? I like it much better, especially if you are on an iPhone.

Fob Schmob!

No, the battery is probably just older from the factory. The new one should last a lot longer than that. That said, have you considered using Mobile Key instead? I like it much better, especially if you are on an iPhone.

Fob Schmob!
When I first got the car they set up both the fob and the mobile key. I ended up removing the mobile key cause wanted to just have the fob and didnt want extra confusion for the car. However, maybe that is indeed a better approach and one less thing to carry around in my pocket I guess. I am iPhone as well. Does it work relaibly for you? What about when you go to the car wash or valet somewhere? How do you handle those situations? Thanks

When I first got the car they set up both the fob and the mobile key. I ended up removing the mobile key cause wanted to just have the fob and didnt want extra confusion for the car. However, maybe that is indeed a better approach and one less thing to carry around in my pocket I guess. I am iPhone as well. Does it work relaibly for you? What about when you go to the car wash or valet somewhere? How do you handle those situations? Thanks
I have been seriously testing Mobile Key. I am up to 164 instances and I have had three times where it didn't work as expected (98% perfect):
  1. Car didn't unlock. Launched the app, Mobile Key worked as soon as the car started to wake up.
  2. Mobile key worked for entry but everything went dark when I sat in the car. When I tapped the brake, it came back on as normal.
  3. Mobile Key didn't immediately unlock the car and I had to stand there for an extra five or so seconds
There are also a couple of bugs with mobile key that you should be aware of (at least in my car... I would love if others would comment if they have the same issue. I'm starting to wonder if the rear-facing antenna for Mobile Key in my car is faulty):
  1. It doesn't work really well from the rear of the car so if I need to approach the car from the back in a parking lot and open the trunk, I need to walk around the side so the car realizes I'm standing there and unlocks. Then I can walk back to the trunk and press the exterior button.
  2. When I put my little grandchild in his car seat on the passenger side rear, when I walk around the back of the car it locks by the time I get to the driver's door. Then it immediately unlocks.
There are a couple of negatives to using Mobile Key:
  1. You don't have a button to press from outside the car to open the frunk; must use the app which is slower.
  2. If you are working in your garage and have your phone in the pocket the car will lock and unlock repeatedly as you move around. This is the same for the fob, but it is much easier to just leave the fob in the house and still have your phone.
If I'm going someplace where there will be a valet (twice so far in 10k miles), I bring the fob. Of course, I have to change the battery first.

using Mobile Key:

If you are working in your garage and have your phone in the pocket the car will lock and unlock repeatedly as you move around.
NOT TRUE !!!!

My 20-something son taught me this about my Android (Pixel 5a) phone (which he picked-out for me when he saw me still using my original flip phone).

To close the Lucid app on Android phone, (which prevents car from waking/unlocking when you are working in the garage):

from the very bottom of the phone, touch the bar and push up VERY SLOWLY about a few cm
and then stop and lift your finger before the screen disappears.
you should have a smaller view of the app(s) that are "open" on your screen, lined up in a row.
Now using your finger, move the smaller version(s) of the app(s) to the right,
and magically, a "CLEAR ALL" button will appear from behind all the apps you have open.
Press the "Clear All" button and the Lucid phone app will close, and your car will go asleep and not wake up until you tap on the Lucid Icon again. No need to sign out of the app on the app and then try to remember your password so you can get back in the app. This is easier and much more convenient to use than the fob.

I don't know if this works on a S- Job crapple phone.

I have been seriously testing Mobile Key. I am up to 164 instances and I have had three times where it didn't work as expected (98% perfect):
  1. Car didn't unlock. Launched the app, Mobile Key worked as soon as the car started to wake up.
  2. Mobile key worked for entry but everything went dark when I sat in the car. When I tapped the brake, it came back on as normal.
  3. Mobile Key didn't immediately unlock the car and I had to stand there for an extra five or so seconds
There are also a couple of bugs with mobile key that you should be aware of (at least in my car... I would love if others would comment if they have the same issue. I'm starting to wonder if the rear-facing antenna for Mobile Key in my car is faulty):
  1. It doesn't work really well from the rear of the car so if I need to approach the car from the back in a parking lot and open the trunk, I need to walk around the side so the car realizes I'm standing there and unlocks. Then I can walk back to the trunk and press the exterior button.
  2. When I put my little grandchild in his car seat on the passenger side rear, when I walk around the back of the car it locks by the time I get to the driver's door. Then it immediately unlocks.
  1. You don't have a button to press from outside the car to open the frunk; must use the app which is slower.
  2. If you are working in your garage and have your phone in the pocket the car will lock and unlock repeatedly as you move around. This is the same for the fob, but it is much easier to just leave the fob in the house and still have your phone.
If I'm going someplace where there will be a valet (twice so far in 10k miles), I bring the fob. Of course, I have to change the battery first.

Wow. Nice summary here. I forgot that I wouldnt be able to open the trunk and the frunk. I do use that functionality on the fob.

Great summary! Do you have much experience with having your iPhone mobile key AND the key fob in your pocket? In other words is there 'in-fighting' between the two for operations of either unlocking or driving, etc?

PS: My key fob is opposite of your mobile key... when I approach from the front, I often have to go to the side of the car to unlock but if I approach from the rear, no problemo.

Great summary! Do you have much experience with having your iPhone mobile key AND the key fob in your pocket? In other words is there 'in-fighting' between the two for operations of either unlocking or driving, etc?

PS: My key fob is opposite of your mobile key... when I approach from the front, I often have to go to the side of the car to unlock but if I approach from the rear, no problemo.
Yes they don’t seem to conflict to each other.

It doesn't work really well from the rear of the car so if I need to approach the car from the back in a parking lot and open the trunk, I need to walk around the side so the car realizes I'm standing there and unlocks. Then I can walk back to the trunk and press the exterior button.
This is true for me too.

Back