RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

Well, to be fair, I’m not sure Dream Edition customers had an opportunity to test drive before committing? Someone with a Dream would have to confirm that.
I was asked to reserve before test driving (which I did) but I was able to test drive before delivery (a few weeks prior), and could have refused delivery / not delivered payment.

So it was just the reservation that was made pre-test drive.

Love it or hate it, it was a conscious design decision. It's not a flaw; it's not a mistake. It's not a surprise to anyone at Lucid. And it's certainly not a signal of cost cutting or any sort of cheapness.

They thought it would be cool to hear the motor, and many of us agree.

To those who don't—sorry. Don't expect them to change it anytime soon. We'll see how it shakes out with Gravity. Maybe they will do something different on that model, given its target audience. But I would not be surprised if they didn't. It's almost part of the brand at this point.

Personally, I could go either way. Most of the time, I forget about it. I'm just happy to take "real" electric motor whine over any sort of pumped in "fake" sound effects. Particularly the ones on the Taycan for which you have to pay extra.
Not that I disagree with you, I like the whine myself, but is there any proof that it was a design decision?
I would think luxury would point In the direction of completely silent interior including ant whine

Not that I disagree with you, I like the whine myself, but is there any proof that it was a design decision?
I would think luxury would point In the direction of completely silent interior including ant whine
Do you agree that in hundreds of hours of test driving prior to launch they must have known the whine was there?

If so, how could it be anything but a conscious decision to leave it there?

I'm not saying they initially intended it before they even built the car. But choosing not to address it before launch with several months of opportunity is a design decision.

Who knew that ants whine? 😄

I find it mildly annoying, but can live with it. Yes, I'd prefer silence. I can't wait for the day dentists can use lasers to drill teeth and get rid of mechanical drills.

I find it mildly annoying, but can live with it. Yes, I'd prefer silence. I can't wait for the day dentists can use lasers to drill teeth and get rid of mechanical drills.
We can.

Do you agree that in hundreds of hours of test driving prior to launch they must have known the whine was there?

If so, how could it be anything but a conscious decision to leave it there?

I'm not saying they initially intended it before they even built the car. But choosing not to address it before launch with several months of opportunity is a design decision.
I can see where you're coming from, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I think if they could get rid of it, they would've. I think for them it was a priority of miniaturization and minimalism to keep a simple but very efficient motor and maybe removing the noise would've been extra overhead not worth it, and the motor is quiet enough that they left it in.

But I'd love if someone from Lucid can actually touch on this topic of motor noise
Who knew that ants whine? 😄
Haha typo, "any"

I can see where you're coming from, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I think if they could get rid of it, they would've. I think for them it was a priority of miniaturization and minimalism to keep a simple but very efficient motor and maybe removing the noise would've been extra overhead not worth it, and the motor is quiet enough that they left it in.

But I'd love if someone from Lucid can actually touch on this topic of motor noise

Haha typo, "any"
Yeah. Other manufacturers have managed to make it quiet in the cabin. And the rear motor doesn't seem to be audible from inside, as far as everyone has speculated. (That can be confirmed once we get a RWD Pure owner on this forum, or someone can test drive one.) But it is possible that whatever it would have taken to make the front motor quiet had some side effect they didn't like. So they made a compromise? Totally possible.

I, too, would love to hear from Lucid on the subject officially. Not sure that's ever going to happen. Unless I can get one of the engineers out for beers sometime.

Yeah. Other manufacturers have managed to make it quiet in the cabin. And the rear motor doesn't seem to be audible from inside, as far as everyone has speculated. (That can be confirmed once we get a RWD Pure owner on this forum, or someone can test drive one.) But it is possible that whatever it would have taken to make the front motor quiet had some side effect they didn't like. So they made a compromise? Totally possible.

I, too, would love to hear from Lucid on the subject officially. Not sure that's ever going to happen. Unless I can get one of the engineers out for beers sometime.
I was curious so I asked James while he was at my house and he also said that it was more likely to do with the drive train and if they could've made it completely silent they would've.

But again it's all speculation and just wanted to make sure before I quote it off like a fact, that's all.

I watched this Muro Live video on the Lucid rear drive motor and am speculating that having the deferential inside the motor and pre-reduction gear is the source of the whine.

I don't care for the motor whine but mostly notice it when I drive my wire's EQS, which doesn't have much if any.

I watched this Muro Live video on the Lucid rear drive motor and am speculating that having the deferential inside the motor and pre-reduction gear is the source of the whine.

I don't care for the motor whine but mostly notice it when I drive my wire's EQS, which doesn't have much if any.
My wife’s I Pace has no whine. That said, I kinda like it.

Early model S had the whine of you enabled front wheel drive I wonder if Lucid could disable front wheel drive but also enable rear wheel drive. Maybe an idea to help reduce whine. The refreshed model S 2021+ has no whine

Early model S had the whine of you enabled front wheel drive I wonder if Lucid could disable front wheel drive but also enable rear wheel drive. Maybe an idea to help reduce whine. The refreshed model S 2021+ has no whine

It can happen “Sloth Mode”, quiet and 1 motor, waiting for Lucid OTA update. 😂

Here is to all you can whine! 😊

I dont think lucid can, because they are permanent magnet motors. Therefore, they cant reduce the output, they would have to completely turn one motor off. However, I am again not sure if this is possible because of the drivetrain. Powering it up while the vehicle is on would also be a headache.

Back