RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

Very similar to my experience. 35-40 minutes, no matter what SoC I start at. And I've started as low as 6%.

But that's not really disappointing to me. Would I love to cut that down to 10 minutes? Sure. But considering how infrequently I road trip, and how little time this is in the scheme of things, I consider it a totally reasonable trade-off vs an ICE car.

My habit with road trips is to try and start each day at 100%. Try and end the night at a hotel that has charging. That usually means I end up fast charging once or at most twice in one day.

If more chargers were within walking distance of good restaurants (as opposed to Wal-Marts) I wouldn't have reason to complain at all.

Thirty-five minutes doesn't bother me a bit. When charging near home, it's early morning and I have two cups of coffee loaded into my Lucid thermos, and the NYT Games loaded up on my Android (yes, Android) phone. The time flies. On the road, I still try to stick to around an 80% SOC, but that timing works well with my need to get out of the car, stretch my legs a bit, and go to the bathroom. About perfect timing for that!

I have never charged at a hotel. Do you need an adapter to do that? Do they bill you for that? Do you schedule time slots, in case other people also want to charge? So many questions!

It’s pretty obvious we have some very different charging curves among the different trims. The Pure & the Touring seem to be saddled with the same lethargic charging curves whereas the GT & Dream are faster. Whether 10-15 minutes in the entire scheme of things makes that much difference is up to the individual, but like Joe, I wouldn’t mind a speedier charge time.

Admittedly I was totally oblivious to these differences when I bought the car, but I doubt it would have changed my decision.

Yes, but you have the Dream Edition. I have the lowly Grand Touring ,with not only a slightly smaller battery but different chemistry too. I don’t believe my battery can take on a charge as quickly or as efficiently as yours can. Of course we’re talkin’ a difference of only several minutes in any case.
Sure. My only point was that it is possible on some trims; namely the DE and GT-P, both of which are obviously sold out / discontinued but still exist used.

Sure. My only point was that it is possible on some trims; namely the DE and GT-P, both of which are obviously sold out / discontinued but still exist used.
Curious if the 2024 GT charges like that since I think it updated the batter/charging characteristics compared to previous GT years/

Thirty-five minutes doesn't bother me a bit. When charging near home, it's early morning and I have two cups of coffee loaded into my Lucid thermos, and the NYT Games loaded up on my Android (yes, Android) phone. The time flies. On the road, I still try to stick to around an 80% SOC, but that timing works well with my need to get out of the car, stretch my legs a bit, and go to the bathroom. About perfect timing for that!

I have never charged at a hotel. Do you need an adapter to do that? Do they bill you for that? Do you schedule time slots, in case other people also want to charge? So many questions!
Depends on the hotel. Some hotels still only have Tesla destination chargers. I ignore those, as I don’t have an adapter. But many others will either have a standard level 2 charger or in their parking lot they will have ChargePoint or Blink or some other company’s Level 2 chargers on hand. Those you just need an account for. Tap to pay. It’s inexpensive compared to gas, and it saves you that 40 minutes the next day. Especially if you can get it up to 100% overnight. Totally worth it.

Some hotels don’t charge money at all. They just consider it a courtesy to their guests.

The danger is always that you arrive and all the chargers are taken. Or they’re broken. So, just as with level-3 chargers, you need to have a backup plan.

Depends on the hotel. Some hotels still only have Tesla destination chargers. I ignore those, as I don’t have an adapter. But many others will either have a standard level 2 charger or in their parking lot they will have ChargePoint or Blink or some other company’s Level 2 chargers on hand. Those you just need an account for. Tap to pay. It’s inexpensive compared to gas, and it saves you that 40 minutes the next day. Especially if you can get it up to 100% overnight. Totally worth it.

Some hotels don’t charge money at all. They just consider it a courtesy to their guests.

The danger is always that you arrive and all the chargers are taken. Or they’re broken. So, just as with level-3 chargers, you need to have a backup plan.

Thanks for the information. It's funny. On two occasions, I called a hotel (with EV charging on their list of amenities) and asked if they were Tesla only, or compatible with other vehicles. In both cases, they said they didn't know. it sounds like there is typically no scheduling, and I'm guessing that these hotel chargers are not fast, and it's a crap shoot as to getting there only to find that someone has already plugged in with no intention of unplugging before they are ready to leave. I also wondered about just how annoyed other EV owners would be at the person monopolizing the charger.

On EV road trips, we often plan our stop(s) for the night at a place with an EA station, and we typically charge when we arrive so that we can easily precondition the battery. We will often drive around 12 hours on road trips where we are just repositioning between points A & B, and the last thing I want to do is sit there charging upon arrival. (I usually drop the boss off at the hotel first, as she gets more tired riding than I do driving. :) ) On those occasions in particular, it would be really nice to have a hotel EV charger!

Back